Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

420-magazine-mobile106951468.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2142414928.jpg

Hey folks. Planning on flipping to flower this upcoming weekend. Right now my lights are on 5am to 9pm (16/8). For flowering, because of my constant heat concerns in my space, I'd like to have the lights on period at night 8pm to 8am. I'll still be able to open the box and check them twice a day, and the lights won't add to the air temperature as much.

Question:
Which will be less detrimental, extending the dark period or the light period?

At 8pm, the lights will be about ready to turn off, i can just tell the timer to stay on until the next morning and to turn off at 8am instead.
Or
I cancel them coming on at 6am like usual and don't let them come on until 8pm that night.

Not looking to let this be the thing that throws them out of whack.

I hope this was clear.

Thanks.

Your better too extend the dark period to adjust to a new light schedule ✌️

Hey folks. Planning on flipping to flower this upcoming weekend. Right now my lights are on 5am to 9pm (16/8). For flowering, because of my constant heat concerns in my space, I'd like to have the lights on period at night 8pm to 8am. I'll still be able to open the box and check them twice a day, and the lights won't add to the air temperature as much.

Question:
Which will be less detrimental, extending the dark period or the light period?

At 8pm, the lights will be about ready to turn off, i can just tell the timer to stay on until the next morning and to turn off at 8am instead.
Or
I cancel them coming on at 6am like usual and don't let them come on until 8pm that night.

Not looking to let this be the thing that throws them out of whack.

I hope this was clear.

Thanks.

From what I understand you have to change the lighting consistently to the different time amount 3-4 days in a row to affect it. You can stop and start the times one time thing anytime and not affect the plant. If you keep the off time to 6 hrs then all is well no matter what time of day the 6 hrs was switched to. I run my lights off at 1pm and back on at 7pm. This time Im using T5's to veg and my bill was $85.00. Last Aug, my first indoor grow my bill was $350.00 using the 600w HPS to veg. Big difference. I know a dude who sprays then leaves his lights off for 24hrs but not me. Overkill. Do that once a week, Im not to sure about that.
I went to Growweedeasy.com and they say to flush salts at 3 times reg volume of water. Not 3 times the pot size. I think Fox Farm says this too. No argue. I just like to learn!! I want to be all I can be. Lifes last hoorah!
Basically the dude at the grow shops attitude was this..... dont pick it apart so much. K.I.S.S.!! He said you will just fuck your mind checking run off with salt based nutes or making a slurry. Id say with artificial nutes and you have a PH problem, flush those girlies!! Its all you can really do anyways is flush then PH correctly going in???
120 gal of water in my pan, Houston we have a problem!! Especially in flower.
Great day people and great day growing.

I started a bag seed earlier this spring and grew outdoors. I live in hot climate in zone 9-10. It ended up being a great grow with just under a half lb. I got so excited that I bought some OG Kush Sativa seeds to do it again. I was thinking with the climate I would have time. I only popped two seeds and saved the rest for next year, but have now realized it is not an auto flower. As you guys know it takes a lot of work and effort just for one plant and am now wondering if I should cut my losses or just go for it to see what happens. Our December temps still average over 75 but I'm not sure she'll get enough sun.
Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Has anyone tried this with a non-auto flowering? Seedling leaves popped 9-1.

UGH!
420-magazine-mobile1056817922.jpg

Can anyone help me, im on the fifth week of flowering on my jock horror and my leaves are turning dark... my first grow so i dont really know what to do, can anyone help me?
420-magazine-mobile2051319325.jpg
420-magazine-mobile548529896.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1952431249.jpg

I'm not completely sure on the correct answer. Id do off at 6am and turn them on at 8pm. If you wanna revert from bud and pull out youd move to longer hrs of light. I hope that helps some. Thats how I turn my indoors. Let them kick off. Reset tje timer while they sleep. And then they kick on the new schedule. And your able to watch and check to make sure its kicking on and off properly.

Your better too extend the dark period to adjust to a new light schedule ✌️

Thanks guys. Seems the consensus here is to make the dark period really long, then add the shorter day light, which is what i was thinking, so that's what I'll do.

I appreciate the input.

I started a bag seed earlier this spring and grew outdoors. I live in hot climate in zone 9-10. It ended up being a great grow with just under a half lb. I got so excited that I bought some OG Kush Sativa seeds to do it again. I was thinking with the climate I would have time. I only popped two seeds and saved the rest for next year, but have now realized it is not an auto flower. As you guys know it takes a lot of work and effort just for one plant and am now wondering if I should cut my losses or just go for it to see what happens. Our December temps still average over 75 but I'm not sure she'll get enough sun.

UGH!
Putting them outside with the days getting shorter will send it to flower. If your areas that warm put them inside to veg with a CFL and put them out the last week of Feb. next year and get a spring outdoor crop. I do every year.

Thanks guys. Seems the consensus here is to make the dark period really long, then add the shorter day light, which is what i was thinking, so that's what I'll do.

I appreciate the input.

I think if you extend the dark period it will cause it to flower?? I know you can run it 18 on and 6 off or 16 on and 8 off a day to veg. Oh and also 24hr to veg. Im not sure I understood the question maybe. I know they like to sleep so 24hr is not ideal. I would keep it to 6 hrs off and switch it to the ideal time. With this theory you should increase the dark time no more than 8 hrs
If Im popping seeds in feb for a yard grow and need to veg inside I know I need to keep the lights on a 16 on -8 off schedule cause a less chance of sending to flower than an 18-6 when put out in the spring time with the days getting longer but the light times shorter than what youve been running indoors??

I think if you extend the dark period it will cause it to flower?? I know you can run it 18 on and 6 off or 16 on and 8 off a day to veg. Oh and also 24hr to veg. Im not sure I understood the question maybe. I know they like to sleep so 24hr is not ideal. I would keep it to 6 hrs off and switch it to the ideal time. With this theory you should increase the dark time no more than 8 hrs
If Im popping seeds in feb for a yard grow and need to veg inside I know I need to keep the lights on a 16 on -8 off schedule cause a less chance of sending to flower than an 18-6 when put out in the spring time with the days getting longer but the light times shorter than what youve been running indoors??

I am looking to enter flower. I was just trying to figure to best way to go from lights on during the day to lights on during the night.

I've struggled with my high temps because of the space that my box is in and not wanting to run an AC just for that. I have a number of good fans going though. Except for worrying that growth is slow, i haven't seen any results of the heat. No heat stress has ever shown on my girls.

However, being that heat affects flowering more then vegging, i would like to be sure to reduce the heat as much as possible. Hence, i will have lights on during the coolest parts of the day and lights off when the sun is up and about.

Of course, this could have the reverse effect of just bringing up the temps in the night so that the girls never get respite from the heat. Hopefully not.

Check out my journal in my sig if you're interested in seeing the full story.

Ahh! Nice. Thanks. Amateur here. .-..

Im no expert. been smoking for almost 40 yrs. 5 yrs with a yard grow and just started my 3rd tent run inside. I LOVE my spring crop outdoors! Ive put 3ft plants out in feb and harvested 5 footers in May/June. I have found its best to put smaller, fresher cloned plants than ones 6 months old. Last year I started 10 clones in Dec off a 3 footer that was 6 mo old and those 10 where awesome come May. Much better than the mother 3 footer. All I know is it works great! no one expects buds ready in May so less chance of getting ripped off. Its crazy cause as soon as its outdoor harvest time in the spring its the same time to put out clones for a fall crop so Im pulling and planting at the same time. If the chance of freeze is over by March 1 id do a spring crop very year if I was you.

I am looking to enter flower. I was just trying to figure to best way to go from lights on during the day to lights on during the night.

I've struggled with my high temps because of the space that my box is in and not wanting to run an AC just for that. I have a number of good fans going though. Except for worrying that growth is slow, i haven't seen any results of the heat. No heat stress has ever shown on my girls.

However, being that heat affects flowering more then vegging, i would like to be sure to reduce the heat as much as possible. Hence, i will have lights on during the coolest parts of the day and lights off when the sun is up and about.

Of course, this could have the reverse effect of just bringing up the temps in the night so that the girls never get respite from the heat. Hopefully not.

Check out my journal in my sig if you're interested in seeing the full story.
Since your switching to flower than switch 12/12 to your desired time. I veg with lights out at 1pm and back on 7pm and when I switch to flower I extend it 3 hrs each way. Temp is probably the most important thing to growing. They hate anything over 85 deg in flower. The closets to 75 deg always is best and very important.
The best way to switch to flower... just do it! and of course run your lights the coolest part of the day.
Thanks for the journal invite but I cant surf or keep up at all. I came here to learn and help. I worked a year in Vegas and Pervus said you dont know it until you can teach it. Fuckin Perv!
Growweedeasy.com

UGH!
Hey BirdNerd

I am from South africa and spring just started here on 1 September , but this past winter i had a buddy germinate a few photo seeds 2 weeks into winter outdoors hahahaha

Luckily we have warmish winters and the plants made it but they went right into flower after a very short / no veg time and they grew into bonsai single cola plants

This is one of his it might be small but the bud was still great

420-magazine-mobile1066812715.jpg

. From Africa

Hey BirdNerd

I am from South africa and spring just started here on 1 September , but this past winter i had a buddy germinate a few photo seeds 2 weeks into winter outdoors hahahaha

Luckily we have warmish winters and the plants made it but they went right into flower after a very short / no veg time and they grew into bonsai single cola plants

This is one of his it might be small but the bud was still great

420-magazine-mobile1066812715.jpg

. From Africa

Thank you WorldGrow! I'm gonna go for it then. Appreciate the word -.

Back
Top Bottom