Auto Growers Unite: A Community Thread

I read somewhere that mature fan leaves were more like store houses. A back up of nutrients for times of struggle. But since we provide the nutrients, and in our care they don't struggle, the leaves are superfluous.

Just a thought.

Edited to add: this was related to a discussion about the merits/risks of lollipopping, I believe. Not full scale defoliation.

Yes. Very true. All green parts producing power/energy. But it's the fan leaves that are the work horses and are the first to give up thier nutes and water if needed to protect the plant. That's what their main job is. Only take off what is covering bud sites. Just my 2 cents. Keep calm and carry on. It's only weed.
:Namaste:

hey guys just a quick snappy of the journey
1661283159334.png

1661283202368.png

thanks again for all your help and advice its sure what got me this far :Namaste:

Nice hondo look like we're around the same skill level you might have slight edge over mine though well done sir

Typically around the 3.75 -4.25oz but the highest was just shy of 5 cured it was a sweet train wreck from Dutch passion
I'm expecting to yield 4oz per plant this time so I should have my smoke and my edibals and possible hash if I can be taught how to make it ?

What type of Hash, I love making hash, I find dry/fresh frozen hash extremely easy. Need a bag system and 5 gallon bucket first.

i just saw his journals. Thank you but i didn't find what i am looking for :) and I think i agree with him, autos are very resilient and lots of the info out there in the internet are misleading or wrong.

I agree this thread has taught me so much about what can be done that many people say cannot be done.

This is very interesting and I've never seen this done. At least never this early. What is the supposed benefit of This? Yes, i understand you will get better penetration and all bud sites will be in direct light, but your leaves are essential to the plant for photosynthesis. I guess my question is, when does light penetration (or other reasons for defoliating) outweigh the plants source of energy?

I do this all the time but never to this extreme. I defoliate to manipulate light from the time the 3rd or 4th node are showing.

Super cropped my 20 day old auto. 6hours later(dark) she was standing back up. Didn't seem to care, still doesn't. My take on this is , if you hit her training just right (before the stretch) she won't slow down. After she gets more sensitive. I think this is the reason behind all the misconception of autos. She took her topping and cropping better than a photo. I tried this successfully many times, but always before the stretch. So now I'll add supercropping in as I've found an extra benefit for autos. I like the knots on the stem when pinching. On my autos it seems those tops that have been pinched grow faster (different stage sooner). Not just bigger, but faster. I've got enough proof for me but try it out. I'm telling you I've done everything wrong that could be done too an auto. Just to break the cycle of bad and good info. Autos are not week or sensitive. Defoliation,topping, super cropping, LST can all be used effectively if used at the right time. Timing is key. Trow out what you've been told and learn these plants.

Also I completely grew more than one plant from 30days old with only 14-20 fan leaves on it. Fan leaves are not needed at any stage for growth. They do not grow the plant. The plant grows the leaves. For anyone who says the old regurgitated crap about needing them it's completely untrue. Leaves are a store house of energy for when times get tough. When times never get tough(controlled indoor grow) the leaves remain completely useless their entire lives. Fan leaves to provide food to the plant, I'm not saying they don't. But you only need 10-20 leaves to provide the small amount of food she needs from her leaves , the rest is uptake from the roots. Outdoor plants need their leaves for lots of reasons I won't go into, but indoor cannabis​ has no need for leaves during flower. Bud sites need light to become big. (This is why your colas are bigger than your bottom buds). 2 weeks into flower and all my fan leaves from the top to just under my last node(where buds start) are removed. All at once. People say this will kill them , this is completely false. Defoliation is key for massive yeilds.

Nice hondo look like we're around the same skill level you might have slight edge over mine though well done sir
No sir you are incorrect. I have no skill Joe. Just a beginner taking advice from the community. You got skills man your plants look good mine is all routy and all over the place. Colas taller than others . I still have a crap ton of learning. As always Joe thanks for the kind words buddy. You rock !

This won't hurt a bit. Pop em off. You'll see over time that she's well equipped to deal with a few leaves missing. I took 70-120 leaves at a time every 10 days off ONE plant. She's still growing strong. I quit defoliation 1month before harvest because I like the trim for butter

This won't hurt a bit. Pop em off. You'll see over time that she's well equipped to deal with a few leaves missing. I took 70-120 leaves at a time every 10 days off ONE plant. She's still growing strong. I quit defoliation 1month before harvest because I like the trim for butter

Is this for me? :)

Also I completely grew more than one plant from 30days old with only 14-20 fan leaves on it. Fan leaves are not needed at any stage for growth. They do not grow the plant. The plant grows the leaves. For anyone who says the old regurgitated crap about needing them it's completely untrue. Leaves are a store house of energy for when times get tough. When times never get tough(controlled indoor grow) the leaves remain completely useless their entire lives. Fan leaves to provide food to the plant, I'm not saying they don't. But you only need 10-20 leaves to provide the small amount of food she needs from her leaves , the rest is uptake from the roots. Outdoor plants need their leaves for lots of reasons I won't go into, but indoor cannabis​ has no need for leaves during flower. Bud sites need light to become big. (This is why your colas are bigger than your bottom buds). 2 weeks into flower and all my fan leaves from the top to just under my last node(where buds start) are removed. All at once. People say this will kill them , this is completely false. Defoliation is key for massive yeilds.
Good post. I agree...mostly. That is why trimming the fan leaves when cloning speeds rooting. That being said, removing the fan leaves completely slows rooting a little. I've done tons of experimentation with defloiation in the past few years and what I have found is if the plant is in good health there is no harm in heavy defloiation. I've stripped huge plants doqn to nothing and you couldn't tell I touched them two days later.
The greatest two benifits I've found for defloiation is
-allowing light to branch nodes when training
-And increasing air flow while reducing transpiration on heavily trained plants

Healthy, Vigorous, properly trained plants in the ideal inviornment produce big buds period.

If those aren't in order first stripping leaves off or leaving them on isn't going to make a world of difference.

And yes I defol often. When ever I see a need and I take off as many fan leaves as I need to but not for all the reasons everyone else seems to post.

Back
Top Bottom