Back To The Old School? An Outdoor Grow Of Selected Haze Hybrids & Thoughts On Back-Crossing With Original Genetics

I grew a Strawberry Cough a couple of years ago which was said to be 80% sativa and also looked very much like your Thai sativa, very pale colour. I chose to give it a feed which didn't help and only gave her a bit of leaf tip burn. Once she got full sized, her colour changed to a normal shade of green which left me somewhat mystified.
Interesting. I was thinking maybe they needed some N, so I did give them a tiny taste of it. Which produced a leaf tip burn, but not bad. They also turned just a shade greener, especially in the morning. In the evening, they are lighter again. Maybe they will take on the normal green color later.

It is a mystery, I have never seen cannabis leaves that color, and thought it must be the Thai genetics, and while I may be wrong, there could be something to that. Some of the Strawberry Cough strains have a good % of O Haze, which of course includes Thai landrace. Assuming the pale color is controlled by a recessive gene, there's nothing to say a Strawberry Cough (or any Haze cannabis strain) with Thai heritage could have healthy pale green leaves. You never know what you're going to get.

Cheers

DTHF & Malawi

2 Super Lemon Haze phenotypes
I got the SLH seeds from Greenhouse Seeds in 2020 and started germinating one in March that year. By April 14, 2020, the first seed had germinated and grown to about 8 inches tall. Here it is on the far right. That plant grew to a height of 10 feet or so, about 3 meters, outdoors in a 15 gal pot with no topping. That grow was at 38N.

This year, 2022, my grow is at about 46N and the weather has been warm. I germinated two seeds from that same package from GHS. Both seeds popped, but were slow to grow. Maybe the difference in climate is making itself felt there. I'm not sure the climate would impact seedling growth with germination and the first weeks spent indoors with the room heated to 80F. Anyway, after 6 weeks, they have slowly but steadily grown to a height of only about 3 inches. Of course, another factor is seed age. The seeds were probably three years old, at least and possibly more, and I've had that kind of slow, irregular, asymmetric, twisted growth sometimes particularly in seedlings sprouting from from older haze seeds. Besides the twisted growth, however, these two SLH seedlings have very different looks, phenotypes. From pretty early on, there was a noticeable difference between the two, they just didn't look like each other, and then it suddenly dawned on me: I have two SLH phenotypes.

Super Silver Haze pheno
Now I understand Super Lemon Haze has two phenos, and I think I have both. One is leaning to the Super Silver Haze father, at least in appearance. It has a light green color, and thin sativa leaves. The SLH in 2020 was definitely not this pheno, so I am happy to get it this time around, fittingly for the haze grow. It's also fun to watch something you thought at first was maybe nothing more than a worthless piece of genetic shit turn into something you cherish and watch over like a guardian... hohum

Lemon Skunk/Citral pheno
The other SLH pheno would express the Lemon Skunk side of the cross, I guess. This one is a bit darker green than the SSH pheno, and has wider, rounder, fatter leaves (more "indica"-looking). The leaves on this one are rough-looking, irregular, and from the beginning were splotched or spotted with a yellow pigment, which has diminished with an application of N. Can't say anything about the aroma yet.

Thanks @Stunger @Bionic Chronic NZ @Melville Hobbes @Tokin Roll @TorturedSoul @Rolling Green @DonkeyDick @StoneOtter @Bill284 @Nine Toed Hippie @Emilya , I just wanted to tell everyone that owing to changes in the lineup of strains I wanted to grow this year (older seeds I was hoping would pop but failed to germinate) I decided to narrow the focus of the grow. I've started a new journal entitled "Seven Hazes" with the idea of focusing on issues that arise in connection with late flowering hazes, their nutritional needs, etc. I hope you will find this interesting and look forward to any comments you can offer. Thanks 420 magazine, I will not be posting further in this "Old School" thread. Enjoy!

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom