Beccabud's Cactus Garden of Spiny Delight: Peruvian Torch aka Trichocereus Peruvianus

I was outside today and looked over at my neighbors property, at first I thought he put up a sculpture, then I realized it was a flower stalk from a "Century Plant". It's about 12" in diameter at the base and about 12-15 feet tall, and still growing. (for scale, the cactus leaves are about 6 ft. tall, and the in the background those are 16" diameter pilings.

IMG_2291 (1).JPG

Yesterday each Peruvian Torch pot (except #5 & #11) got their first 1/2 tsp dose of Geoflora Veg. Almost all of them were dry enough to blend a half teaspoon of the fertilizer into the top spoil and soak it in with 100mL of water. 5 & 11 will each get theirs as soon as the soil dries some more.

20220424_175601cr.jpg

Yesterday I potted 4 of the San Pedro cuttings I took when I planted them all in the 10 gallon fabric pot. These were the pups which root more readily than branch cuttings. I have 4 branches but they haven't shown roots yet. These were in the dark for weeks and weeks so there's no chlorophyll in their growing tips. The transplants in the 10 gal pot are showing more pups already. Om.

20220505_194440cr.jpg

Bumped the light up to 14hrs/day running 50% power, 9" from the plants. Gave each seedling pot 70mL purified water and the 10 gallon Pedro got a gallon from the garden sprayer. The Pedro cuttings are in FFOF so I can see how they do compared to the cactus mix. The last San Pedro cuttings potted in cactus mix developed this incredibly healthy looking emerald green in the growing tips that was just beautiful.

20220522_114906cr.jpg

Here's an update on the plants you sent me (thanks so much!). They were planted in a good cactus mix and seem to really be liking natural sunlight. Unfortunately, I had a tragedy with the smallest ones. While I was gone the neighbors cat got into the pot and buried the smallest ones, when I got home and dug them up it was too late. The others, however, are rocking.
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

Aug. 25th will be 10 months since planting the Peruvian Torches (PT). Tallest PT is 4 1/4" (middle rear plant, top photo), Poly in the front row of the 1st picture is about 3 1/2". New San Pedro (SP) cuttings are pretty much ready to transplant into the 10 gallon colony pot. The SP colony is around 13" tall now.
I'm thinking it's just about time to put all the PT into their own 10 gallon pot and into the Tiny Closet now that the Triple Header grow is winding down.
I haven't watered these in a month but it's barely noticeable. Gave them all a good soaking.

PsyCac20220805_104645r.jpg

PsyCacII20220805_111332r.jpg

They are so lovely.
I had a San Pedro a few years back.
Someone stole it off of my porch.

I have some Saguaro, purple prickly pear and a few barrel cactus seeds. I'll be sprouting them after we move this fall. I have to get my plant cabinet painted and install lights and fans before I do.
Should be around Oct/November.

Thanks for sharing your Torches.

Back
Top Bottom