Best grow lights?

Agustin

Hi everyone!

I've been using and into the lifestyle of Cannabis for almost two years and I've finally made the decision to start growing my first plant. I'm going to grow my first plant in my bedroom closet, and I've been thinking about just starting off with an Indica since it should be easier to manage space.

What are some of the best grow lights I can use for growing Cannabis? Money isn't a big issue so I'm willing to spend a good amount on an excellent light source to keep my plant consistently happy during both vegetative and flowering stages, and that it'll produce amazing buds for using. Any other recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks! :thanks:

Hi Agustin,

Welcome to the 420 Magazine community of members! :welcome:

I think you have a lot of considerations to evaluate in your question. Heat, running expense, desired results, etc... there are simple answers, then there is a right answer for your considerations.

I tend to think the upfront cost to LED lighting is what prevents greater/faster adoption as the preferred light source, but am aware of other reasons as well.

Given the parameters of the information you've provided; first grow, closet set up, not spending restricted, small grow (1 plant?) - I would probably suggest an LED light. One of our site sponsors Mars Hydro, has what I beleive to be some of the better priced LED's available. Many site members have or are using them and they seem to represent a good value/quality light/customer service option. There are other providers that have good products as well, but I would not hesitate to buy a Mars Hydro light.

Remember to differentiate the light you choose by the light produced. A 400 or 600 watt High Intensity Discharge(HID) light is not the same light produced wise as a 400 or 600 watt LED. There is an entire section of this sight dedicated ONLY to lighting and how to evaluate one source to another, or even one product within a catagory to another.

You may find some of the topics discussed in the following area to be of use: Grow Lighting

Be well and happy growing!

Depends on rm size, $, plant count, what your electrical can take and if you can upgrade electrical. Some say LED others HID. Some books will tell you 2 600s vs (1)1000s.

I had a grow with lumatek dual output 600s. 20 lights total. Had a private issue and rebought (12) 1000s. I have switched genetics but do more gram per watt. Now you can argue techniques and strains, But those set ups are the bottom of the line ballast you see on amazon for 220 that includes ballast hood 2 1k bulbs and hooks.
Can get as cheap as 150 if u get wing hood. Can always upgrade to better bulbs or make Amazon honor warranty on those bulbs and get new for free every cycle.

Hello Agustin,
I would suggest you take a look at Mars-Hydro if you are just starting and not sure exactly how big you intend to end up being. Their prices are very good and they grow quality smoke. Another reason to check them out is because you may wish to rethink growing in your closet without a tent and proper ventilation. You will need good ventilation if you plan on growing your own, but growing in a tent isolates the moisture till it can be ventilated. If you grow straight out in your closet, you run the risk of getting mold or mildew which could cost you a small fortune down the road. If you skip on the tent, then make sure you have a great ventilation set up to remove the RH. They make all sizes of grow tents and cabinets and if your a DIY kind of guy, you could even make your own, though they are not really that expensive until you get into the high end models like Gorilla tents.
HID lighting works well also. Each have their good points and bad points but for a small 1 or 2 plant set up, if it was me, I would check out a Mars LED. You can always upgrade if you decide to expand later on.
Best of luck to you, it is an indicative hobby :high-five:

Hey everyone, thank you all so much for your suggestions! :thanks:

And sorry about the late reply. :sorry:

Wow, there's so many amazing things to learn! I've been here for a year with this post being only my sixth one! :laughtwo: I've gotta get myself some motivation, and come on here more often, and learn everything there is about Cannabis. Obviously I've been slacking a whole lot. :)

--------

So, how I'd like to start off is growing the herb in my bedroom closet as I stated previously, or in the storage closet. I guess I could start off with one plant to try but in my state I'm currently allowed to grow four so I might as well go for that route. I haven't fully decided which strains I wish to grow but a couple that I have most in my mind are 'Blue Dream' and 'Purple Haze' if those are fine to start with, even though they're not heavy Indica strains. Growing space and money are not issues for me but I'm willing to make adjustments if any were to come up.

I'll be looking more into the grow lights everyone! Again, thanks for all the suggestions! There's so much to learn and I really wished I stayed in touch here when I first joined last year.

I have always heard Gavita is the best stuff but frankly tend to hear that from people who think you need to spend the most money to get the best product. So I can't really give my own opinion, just that if you want to spend a lot of money in highly reputed lights then Gavita seems to be like a luxury-light brand.

I have always heard Gavita is the best stuff but frankly tend to hear that from people who think you need to spend the most money to get the best product. So I can't really give my own opinion, just that if you want to spend a lot of money in highly reputed lights then Gavita seems to be like a luxury-light brand.

I took a look at Gavita and seems quite good, it's expensive but I think it's doable. These lights are pretty appealing to me for growing Cannabis! Thanks for this suggestion. :peace:

I run Mars-Hydro lights and have been very happy with them. I think that they are an excellent value and would not hesitate to recommend them.

That being said, if money is not as much of an issue, take a look at Shiggityflip's journal. He is using the Perfect Sun 1000. This monster seems to be doing a great job for him. Good luck and start a journal. We will help where we can!!! :peace:

If money (and heat) is not an issue, I'd probably go Gavita DE.

Hey everyone, thought I'd give an update with where I'm at.

So I've narrowed my options down to using an LED since they emit very little heat compared to the other ones. The decision has been made to grow the plants in my storage closet which is a size of 43 inches in length, 55 inches wide, and 62 inches in height. Now, obviously this isn't the largest amount of growing space which is why I'm looking into getting an LED since all the other ones will emit too much heat. I'm just looking to grow nice small Cannabis plants that'll be easier to maintain and produce really nice flowers.

I went to an indoor garden shop and met with a man who works there that's been growing Cannabis for many years. In my case, he recommended me to buy the Dominator 2X from Lush Lighting, which is a cost of 1,200 dollars. I'm completely aware that I previously said money isn't a big issue but to go on and spend 1,200 dollars on lights will simply just be an overkill and especially for a beginner. I did read about first time growers being very error prone with overspending money on growing supplies and I just don't want that to happen.

These are a couple of other LEDs that I looked at which seem to be pretty good:

+ GalaxyHydro 600W LED
+ MarsHydro (suggested by OlderGrower and recommended by supergroomer)

I believe I'm coming close to finally buying the best lights for me but I still some questions. From what I found, do these lights truly give the full spectrum needed for Cannabis? Are they decently appropriate for both vegetative and flowering stages? Will they help provide full coverage? And which one should I just go for?

Thanks again everyone! :thanks:

Well, I've seen some good grows from Mars Lights, and I think they make a decent light for new growers or those that want LED on a budget, but I feel there are much better quality LED manufacturers out there. Some are sponsors here, some are not. I would be careful of buying knock off LED's from Amazon or eBay. These make good bright paper weights, but that's about it.

Here is a sub forum specifically talking about lighting. Grow Lighting

and here is our sponsor list that includes some LED manufacturers that you could look into. Sponsors | 420 MAGAZINE ®

Whatever brand you decide to get, I'd buy two or three smaller units rather than one large LED panel. One the chance one fails, you will have a backup. Having more than one can also help with coverage and penetration when some plants aren't as tall as others. Mars may not be the "best", but they are good quality and probably are the best value.

Alright everyone, I'm gonna go for MarsHydro LED Grow Lights! :cheer:

Thanks for helping me out on make the final decision on lighting.

I'm happy with my old style Mars LEDs. Have 4 of the 300 watt/180 actual draw in my little tent. Each plant has its own light and I can adjust the height of each light to best match the height of the plant under it. At $125 for a pair, it's one of, if not the best, values on LEDs going. I'm on my 4th grow in 10 months and every bulb is still working, so quality seems fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom