Best LED for a 2x2 grow tent

ganjaguy

I have been using a Mars Hydro Reflector 48x5 for my 2x2 grow tent and had pretty good results with it. Now i think it is time to upgrade my light but don't know wich light ill get next. At the moment im thinking of buying a new Mars led light, it would be Mars Pro II series Epistar 80 or the Mars Hydro II 400w. What do u guys think is better between the two? Are there any other Led lights out there within the same price range that has good results?

If there's another topic like this please link. Thanks in advance!

I use a VIPARSPECTRA PAR600 600W 12-band LED. I think it's slightly more pricey at $260 but I'm thrilled with it. It says it's best for a 3x3 grow space but I think it's a little weak for that. A 2x2 tent, however, would be perfect! My tent is 2x4 and it's adequate, although I plan on adding another for my next grow. Nice thing is it has switches for white, blue and red spectrums. The white and blue are for all times, the red for flower. I'll turn off the blue and red when I'm taking pictures though so the plants show up green in the pic instead of purple.

Best lights in general are COB LEDs or Quantum boards. Both need to be bought in kit or made at home. Depends on your skills. The important part of light is the true wattage. The power consumption. Mars 400W is using around 150W and makes around 0,6+ grams per watt. COB lights are making 1,2+ grams per watt. But you cannot make veg+flower COB light for that cheap. Look at the quantum boards those are like Mars on steroids. Cheers man! :love: :Namaste:

Thanks for responding this fast guys :high-five:

My grow tent is the same size! And I'll switch to led after my harvest.
I was thinking of the Mars Hydro Pro II 120 or 160, still deciding. :thumb:

I almost bought the 160 version but at the last moment i changed my mind. You will be paying for coverage that you actually don't use (in 2x2), the watt however is ideal.

Viparspectra had my attention but not any more. This because i heard many complains about dying diodes after a few months of use and their customer service is getting better but still not good enough for me. But on the other hand, you cant deny the prices and some of their lights look very very decent.

COB and CREE lights are on top of the game as well as the prices for these products hehe. Im almost sure i will go with COB leds in the future but first im gonna use/practice the cheaper ones. Im not handy at all (got two left hands) so the DIY cob kit is going to be a pain in the arse.

And HPS is a no no for me. Don't like the heat and it is not energy efficient. Plus the terpines are better with LED

Thanks for responding this fast guys :high-five:

I almost bought the 160 version but at the last moment i changed my mind. You will be paying for coverage that you actually don't use (in 2x2), the watt however is ideal.

Viparspectra had my attention but not any more. This because i heard many complains about dying diodes after a few months of use and their customer service is getting better but still not good enough for me. But on the other hand, you cant deny the prices and some of their lights look very very decent.

COB and CREE lights are on top of the game as well as the prices for these products hehe. Im almost sure i will go with COB leds in the future but first im gonna use/practice the cheaper ones. Im not handy at all (got two left hands) so the DIY cob kit is going to be a pain in the arse.

And HPS is a no no for me. Don't like the heat and it is not energy efficient. Plus the terpines are better with LED

There are some threads about DIY COBs. And growmau5 has youtube channel with tons of info. Good luck with your grow! I bet you will have success! :love: :Namaste:

Any LED would suffice for a 2x2 Grow. It's such a small space that you won't have to worry about spreading the light too much.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Timber Grow Lights

I have their 12 cob - 48x48 vero29 gen7 version and had it custom made by someone in CANADA.
The above link she to CANADA and is in the USA.

Hope that helps.

Yeah im almost sure i will buy the DIY cob kit in the future, but for now im gonna do a minor upgrade and it will be my second LED light i wll use. After that, and after buying a bigger tent, im gonna go with the DIY cob. It is going be a pain in the arse tho, i got two lefties :blalol:

it has been a while but i already had a couple runs with my DIY COB build :) no blurple light 4 me anymore
Here´s one of my last 12/12 grow this was my favorite lady of the bunch -2nd day drying

Hi all,
I'm a beginner (did two plants in one cyclce so far). I recently moved and I want to equip my 2x2 with high end lighting that will really get the most out of my plants. My previous grow was with a 300w full spectrum CFL and the results were OK.
I want to get great results, not just OK :) can someone please recommend what I should get (out of personal experience, preferably). If you think some auxillery lights are required to the main light that you recommend, I would be very grateful for some recommendations on those as well...
What light characteristics and values would make the most of this 2x2?
Thank you!

Hi all,
I'm a beginner (did two plants in one cyclce so far). I recently moved and I want to equip my 2x2 with high end lighting that will really get the most out of my plants. My previous grow was with a 300w full spectrum CFL and the results were OK.
I want to get great results, not just OK :) can someone please recommend what I should get (out of personal experience, preferably). If you think some auxillery lights are required to the main light that you recommend, I would be very grateful for some recommendations on those as well...
What light characteristics and values would make the most of this 2x2?
Thank you!

hi @Pandenstein .. welcome to the forum.

led is excruciatingly hard for new folk to get their head around.
there are a few simple tricks that will help you get there though.

1. wattage claims mean zero to nothing, unless they are citing true draw specs - what the rig pulls from the wall.

2. only true draw wattage specs mean something. that should be the total amount the driver itself will consume. the specs should be printed on the driver itself, if the mfgr does not cite clear info. the driver will never supply more than the emitters can handle. unless fire and mayhem is the mfgrs goal.

3. you want a rig that gives you 35 - 50w per sq/ft for your chosen space. aim for the higher end. this number is trending lower on the better higher end rigs. definitely not on the budget rigs though. you will get what you pay for. trust me.

4. forget burple. white light is the right light. colored leds have had their day, unless as supplemental. white light emitting leds simply carry more spectrum = better plants. kelvin still counts though.

5. quantum board and strip builds are the newest architecture and tech. either are entirely acceptable. cob is still hanging about, there is nothing wrong with a good cob rig. the tech is a bit older, maybe a touch easier to understand from a diy perspective, but not enough to keep me from doing a diy strip build if you lean that way.

6. speaking of diy, there's still loads of value in building your own if you choose. recommend looking at led gardener dot com. it's a led only site, that explains piles of stuff and has example builds. even if you do not diy, it will show what to look for in a good rig. great for beginners in led. there are a few others as well.

7. if you buy - the industry is essentially divided into two camps. good brand stuff / budget. nearly all are represented through the board sponsors. i'm a spend it now kind of guy.

i could recommend brands, but it usually winds up being budget driven, with a load of folk recommending lower ends.

most of the stuff represented here is good, but you will find yourself replacing lower priced rigs a couple three yrs earlier than you would on an upper brand. in time you will realize the budget stuff just doesn't pay long term.

everyone has to start somewhere though, and their are even some budget stuff i would recommend to get going, so long as you factor earlier replacement in.

edit : should add - the newest measure of effectiveness is ppfd. photosynthetic photon flux density. it's a measure of how many light photons hit a leaf every millisecond. higher numbers generally are better, but there are limits.

par used to be the old method. it measures something slightly different.

I'm in a 2' x 2' as well using a FS LED that draws 135w @240v - they say eq to 400w, but it isn't as the penetration is weaker
Next light I'm looking for something 18" x 18" full spectrum white to get the light directly over the whole canopy
For the effort you're going to put into this, get the best you can afford plus a bit
Wish I'd kept my MH/HPS ;O)

I'm in a 2' x 2' as well using a FS LED that draws 135w @240v - they say eq to 400w, but it isn't as the penetration is weaker
Next light I'm looking for something 18" x 18" full spectrum white to get the light directly over the whole canopy
For the effort you're going to put into this, get the best you can afford plus a bit
Wish I'd kept my MH/HPS ;O)

as a rough guide i'd run something about double that wattage for the size of the space. maybe a touch under.
so much depends on the rig itself.

i'm running a 12 cob 600w rig in just under 4x4. the rig itself is essentially wall to wall.

full

that's the lowest setting so i can get a pic that doesn't wash out.

Back
Top Bottom