Big Bang Auto/Bloombox - 2012

Foghorn

Im on my third grow ever in my Bloombox. The first two went quite well over all. The first was a single Photoperiod plant and the second was 5 pineapple express auto. I actually got about the same yield from both. The bloombox is a two sided grow box. The idea is to have a perpetual grow, but like most good things in life, timing is everything. I started the pineapple too soon so it got really crowded on the veg side. one plant grew over the others pretty quickly and they never recovered, even after moving to the larger flower side. The large plant was 50% of the total yield. So I waited longer this time, but still have three plants MUCH taller than the others. Youll see.

Strain: Big Bang Auto + starting my blue cheese mom
BloomBox
125w cfl for Veg of
400w HPS for Flower
DWC both sides. Mom is in coco coir
using Nutrients supplied with box from manufacturer. idk what brand.
Co2 injection
add ons: supplemental air pump with multi tap control manifold to direct air to veg/flower/both
1/10hp water chiller. Flower side only.
Room temp is between 60 and 80f. i have a AC unit but its not hooked up for the winter due to space.
water temp: 68

I thought these Big Bang Autos were supposed to finish in like 8 weeks from seed. Well I started them 8 weeks ago using the rockwool method. I really liked the rockwool method because it seems to me like about the same moisture content as a paper towel, and im putting in the rockwool anyway, so why not start it there? So I did,9 of 10 plus the blue cheese mom popped. Then one never grew passed a sprout. But thats still better than I did before so i was happy. Then I only had them on the veg side for a short time before moving them over. They were all pretty small, 3-5 inches or so, but i was especially concerned about crowding after last time. I installed the MH bulb that came w the box. 5 slow weeks went by and only the tallest three plants of the 8 remaining autos started to show white hairs. So I switched bulbs and started the nutes for flowering. I think switched bulbs too soon now after doing some more reading. Honestly i thought so then i was just impatient and hoped the diffrent light would trigger something. Nope. 2.5 weeks went by with nothing for flowers. Plants look healthy, no problems at all. Just no flowers. So 3 days ago I switch the light from 18/6 to 12/12. I know its an auto but read that it helps trigger them. It seems to have worked, or they finally popped anyway. But either way flowers are starting to form so im happy. I just hope it hurrys up. I was planning on a harvest before Christmas. Now I have to actually go Christmas shopping instead of giving away Magic Brownies.

So I have an 8 bigbang autos that are perfectly healthy but i think late on flowering. Am I right? or do they just take this long?

Ill add pics tomorrow. Im at work right now so big grow pics on the screen wouldnt be good. But getting paid to type all that sure felt good.

Also im happy to answer any questions regarding the bloom box. Its a great product over all. I just wish it had an LED option. My next upgrade is to add a couple small LED's on the flower side. Then eventually replace the 400w with a 1000w LED. Then Im going to rename it the Apollo Box. And paint a big ying yang on the door to represent the heat from light and the chill of the water... ok thats a little stupid. But a sticker maybe. Because I cant even paint.

And thank you to the wonderful men and women who make this site possible. Its easy to take this wonderful free service for granted, but it is a blessing.

Re: BigBangAuto/Bloombox/2012

Hi Foghorn - So nice to see you around again my friend!

Yikes! Those did take a while! I've heard of this happening before, and I don't think it's uncommon. Now that they've started flowering, I'd think you can ramp the light back up. Maybe give it a week or so and then bump it back up? I might consider going to 16 hours on for a bit to make sure they stay in flower, then decide from there. Just a thought as I've not had this experience so take that with a grain of salt... I believe I did mine for 18/6 start to finish, but that might be in my journal. Hmm... I wish I remembered how long it took to finish once it started flowering, but that may be in my journal too. If I get time, I can try to suss it out but I only have a moment so it'll have to be later on.

On a positive note: The Big Bang Auto I grew was probably the nicest plant I've grown, tasted amazing, had a great high... It was really great. So, at least there should be a pot of gold after this crazy rainbow. It's still the most unique flavor I've had too - sour apples on the inhale and cotton candy on the exhale, great stuff. :yummy:

I think you did the right thing triggering it with the 12/12 for what it's worth. :thumb:

Anyway, I wouldn't miss this! X

DSCN30845.JPG
DSCN30812.JPG
DSCN30782.JPG
DSCN30833.JPG
DSCN30805.JPG
DSCN30774.JPG
DSCN30822.JPG
DSCN30794.JPG
DSCN30762.JPG
DSCN30754.JPG
DSCN30721.JPG
DSCN30693.JPG
DSCN30741.JPG
DSCN30712.JPG
DSCN30682.JPG
DSCN30732.JPG
DSCN30702.JPG
DSCN30672.JPG
DSCN30662.JPG
DSCN30652.JPG
DSCN30631.JPG

Looking really good Foghorn - I'll bet that chiller is making life easier (or will for sure). They look nice and healthy - such a bummer they didn't all flip for you on a more timely basis. Is that your AC in the first pic? What kind/model is it if you don't mind me asking (I might be interested in something like that at some point)?

Very nice upgrades and nice job! :thumb:

It's a 11000 BTU. Idk the model. Ill look. You can see for that pic of floor that I don't have much space. So that big ass thing is totally over kill. In that pic of the cieling you can see the green power cord, the silver exhaust tube from the light chamber on the box, the central AC vent I installed, and the port for the AC exhaust when it's hooked up. In the winter cold air just falls out of the hole anyway so it's like the same thing.

If you were close X I'd give you the stupid AC. I got it for free and it's too damn big. But I think it was 450 new the guy said. He couldn't pay a bill. A real bill, not mmj related at all. I get billed for that lol. Did you notice the leaf the curl? It's minor but I noticed it. Watcha think?

It's a 11000 BTU. Idk the model. Ill look. You can see for that pic of floor that I don't have much space. So that big ass thing is totally over kill. In that pic of the cieling you can see the green power cord, the silver exhaust tube from the light chamber on the box, the central AC vent I installed, and the port for the AC exhaust when it's hooked up. In the winter cold air just falls out of the hole anyway so it's like the same thing.

If you were close X I'd give you the stupid AC. I got it for free and it's too damn big. But I think it was 450 new the guy said. He couldn't pay a bill. A real bill, not mmj related at all. I get billed for that lol. Did you notice the leaf the curl? It's minor but I noticed it. Watcha think?

I think they look great. :thumb:

I'm not sure on the leaf curl - is it pretty dry, RH-wise? Not sure if I've had quite that same thing, but I wouldn't be too concerned personally.

RH is currently 38%. I meant to mention earlier that I have UBT'd the mom. Thats why shes so bushy. She was taking off like rocket in the hydro 12 tub, but once I topped her and a week later put her in the coco pot she really slowed. But i guess now its growing four ways instead of one, plus its not in the hydro so its not getting blasted with nutes, air, and water. Im still pleased with its health and girth. She will be good mom I think.

Also, I tried to show in the pics the holes I drilled in the back using a standard uni-bit to run the water lines and power to water pump in the reservoir. The pump that came with was built like a sherman tank, and a fine pump, but much too tall for this application. So I bought an after market pump. Two actually, the first one was too weak. I wound up with a 550. It was pretty cheap. I forget exactly, but that means it was less than 50 bucks. I remember everything over that because I have to ask my wife for money, LOL! Anyway, I drilled a hole in the plastic lid to where I wanted the pump to sit between the air stones. I had actually thought about upgrading to larger stones, but cant really now. Oh well. But from there they run up behind the box to the chiller on the shelf. Its in a closet so the shelf was already there. I have it sitting on a old cookie sheet because it has a super slow leak. I had planned on running a drain hose from the catch sheet back to the main reservoir. But evaps about the same speed it comes out so thers a just constant damp spot the size of dollar bill in the corner. I can live with that.

The leaf curl is still on those same leaves, but nowhere else, so Im not really sweating it.

In the last grow I noticed how far the lower branches had to grow to produce such small buds compared to the top two ao three branches. So this time, I wanted only three branches. So after they grew about five branches and were good and healthy with strong roots I cut the bottom two. And every time a new branch came out of the top, I cut the ones on bottom. I was thinking, why waste energy growing a branch Im going to cut later. Plus it aided it light penetration. Could this have slowed my flower time? Its begining to flower a little more.

I hope everything is going good for you and your family X.

Your mom looks great. Thing is with moms, most of the time you don't WANT them to grow fast, ya know? Not for us smaller scale dudes, anyway. :) I have my moms in hydro tubs now and they grow too fast, always needing a trim it seems like - gets to be a huge pain!

I don't know about trimming the branches, but it's not typically advised to do much trimming on autos. I wouldn't think it would delay flowering... but maybe? Hmm.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hope all is well for you and family as well!

Quick update. The main reason I haven't posted is I lost my camera. The second is thers nothing realy happening. In fact I turned off the lights. It's not worth the power. I couple buds formed at the very top of two plants. And one plant probably has a small handful. The rest, even in the terminal bud, are just fuzzy white puff balls. There 14 week old autos!

I had a weird thought. Dome may laugh, and there's probably a good reason it won't work that I don't know about. But what about shinning grow lights through fiber optic cable, the thick shit they put around bars and stuff instead of rope lights now. The color changing stuff. It changes color because you can pump whatever kind of light you want down it. So how about using for a scrog net. Or just wound through a garden. Virtually no heat. Not a lot of light. But i would imagine substantial. Especially that close. Idk. Stoney thoughts. Thought I'd share.

Oh, Happy Holidays!!

When I finally get to best buy and get a camera ill show everything that HASN'T happened. And I guess a smoke report in those buds. One is totally mature, red hairs and amber trichs.

And I took clones off my blue cheese mom. Fingers crossed!

What a bummer on the autos Foghorn! I wish I knew why they didn't work out for you. Damn that sucks! Hope your next round works out much better. Clones from Blue Cheese for a bit?

Happy New Year my friend! :partyboy: :yahoo:

Ok, so it's been waaaay to long and I need to put this this thing to bed. Sooty no closing pics, but your not missing a thing. I got about an oz of good bud. Another oz of "meh". Barley worth making butter with. I'm not sure what happened. I let it go for 14 weeks!! It's a fn autoflower! Thers no way it should take that long. Anyway, I think it was heat issues that ironically I didn't have in summer when the central AC was on. Idk. Iv started a new grow off the mom from this one. Journal to follow shortly.

Anybody reading this, do not be discouraged towards this box or this strain. Both are great, the error was all mine I'm sure.

This can be moved to section for lame and completed journals. Sorry guys.

Bummer brother!! Miss seeing you around Foghorn - I'm super glad you are planning a new journal! Please let me know if there's ever anything I can do to help, etc. I'm always glad to do whatever I can. Maybe try something "non-auto" for the next round?

Have a great weekend! :ciao:

X

Hey great job on the setup... However, I want to know what did you use to create those netpot covers?

Thanks. The covers came w the box. They came square and I found they would get hung up on the pot next to it so I cut them into circles. Also the hole for the drip spout because it made it sit funny. I'm using hydrotron next time because I hate messing with the covers and the rock wool grows algae if you don't. Plus Xlr8 says it will work, and read his words like gospel. Check put my new grow, it's MUCH better!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Hey foghorn. I just found this thread as I am searching for bloom box auto grow help. I am going to fire up my bloom box once again but I will be growing my autos in soil. Have you tried a soil mix yet? Canb you advise on a good auto strain that works well with our bloom box setup?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom