1st Grow / Journal - Bloombox - Hydro

I would like to send a special thanks to flyfishingrock (check out his grows..SERIOUS!) for sending me this private
Message on clones: (im now using this method on 11 cutting now)

I use a small clear plastic tote (rubbermaid), flipped upside down so the lid is now the base and the bulky part is now the lid\humidity dome, inside that I have a small plastic trey for the rockwool to sit on; in between the bottom of the rubbermaid and the rockwool trey I put a fairly wet wash cloth (and I keep it wet by adding a little water every few days) to supply the moisture. Close it completely. This keeps me from having to mist the leaves constantly. Take the lid off once a day to wipe the sweat off it, and this will allow fresh air to enter also. After about a week dont seal it up tight, leave one side elevated a little, I use a pencil to make the seperation. When the first roots show go ahead and remove the dome. I place the light as close as I can because the dome softens the lighting. Beware of keeping the lid sealed for too long as it could create a good environment for powdery mildew. I am usually rooted in 7 to 10 days. Good Luck and if you have any questions just pm me again.

im clearly doing something wrong. 30 cuttings now..all dead.

the steps are outlined above. please help me!

if cant get clones im going to be selling this dumb bloombox as i cant be dealing with ordering seeds ect.

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

i am no professional at this yet, i have only done cloning twice and never had a problem. so maybe you should switch to soil for your clones. i have 9 clones in my box and they all growing well. this is much cheaper and easier than filling the tub every week. and for trees you have in the tub, just top those and put them in soil too. when they grow big enough to pull clones then top them and put the tub back in.
p111.jpg

i didnt even use a humidity dome either of the times i cloned. just sprayed them daily. just an idea since you are having so much trouble with the rockwool.

Dont give up on clones, we will get this figured out. When I started I killed them all the first two times and half of them the third try; I haven't lost any since so we just need to dissect what your doing and fine tune it to get you running.

I have read scissors are potentially harmful and razor blades are supposed to do less "pinching", so that may be an option. (though I do use a SHARP pair of scissors every time)

are you using a good rooting hormone? powder or gel as they both work well. Mines the cheap stuff from Fred Meyers by "schultz", there is probably better on the market but this works for me.

I do prefer rockwool for cuttings, dont fert it though; just ph the water to 5.5 and soak for a while 30-60 minutes should suffice. GENTLY wring them out, don't crush them, but with a moderate squeeze expel the water till its just nicely damp\fairly wet. Not soaked though, this is important.

I take a cutting at the lower branches (usually), make the cut a few inchs longer than you need. Quickly/immediately place it into a glass of tap water, making sure the cut is under water as the plant will naturally draw air or water into it. Air is bad mojo right now. Do this with all the cuttings one at a time, if your doing differnt strains keep them in separate glasses.

Next I make sure all the holes in the rockwool are good by pushing a shish-ka-bob stick into the existing holes to a depth of around 3/4 the cube height. Any small diameter "stick" will work, make sure its not too thick though.

By now the cuttings have sucked in some water through the stem and are ready for the final cut, I try to make the clones only a few inches tall after placed into the cube so make this cut accordingly. QUICKLY dip into tap water again, just for a second to get it wet. Then QUICKLY dip an inch of the stem into the rooting hormone, making sure it is well covered. It will probably be on real thick if using powder so tap it to knock off the excess and put it into the cube. Do this for all of them one at a time, and be quick as possible without freaking out and making a huge mess.

The next thing I ALWAYS do is trim the leaves. Cut 50% off of every leaf "finger" that is on the clone, for example on your hand the cut would be the first knuckle off of your hand (middle).

After that the dome method.

One more thing, upper-mid eighties (87) seems to be the magic temp for me, thats inside the dome.

Also I have done clones in soil, but for me it was slower than with rockwool which is why I continue to use it. Rapid Rooter plugs also work well, but are a little spendy for me.

Hope this helps you out. :ganjamon: :popcorn:

Oh yeah the other plants look nice, Mama is a killer green. Keep it up BUD.

PICT UPDATES - Re: 1st Grow / Journal - Bloombox - Hydro

Pic updates below

2 questions,

1) this is my 6th week, when should i begin flushing them with just ph 5.6 water?

2) whats with the dieing leaves? and their edges?

thanks!

DSC04683.JPG

DSC04684.JPG

DSC04685.JPG

DSC04686.JPG

DSC04687.JPG

DSC04689.JPG

I am on my first grow...so clones are learning experience for me too. First time I cloned I put them right in soil...No dome and sprayed them often, 6 times a day. 5 out of 6 made it 6th was very small clone to start with.
Second time i got peat pucks and tray and dome ( for starting tomatoes ) I put in two inches of soil put them right in and put dome on. after a week of soil being very moist...too moist, no drainage. and on heating pad I pulled one to see if it had roots.
Nothing! .. In fact the whole piece that was in wet soil ... went to mush from sitting in it's own water day and night.
This time i am using those peat pucks that came with dome ...but not dome.
Instead i put them in butter dishes and have plastic semi clear lids. The peat pucks seem to hold water good so am letting them get almost dry (on top of puck) watering small amount to wet top of peat every other day. I also spray them (fine mist) gently and don't over load them with weight of water 5 times a day. The bowls are not air tight and i let them sit without dome for a hour...two.. three as each day passes. i have them one foot away from light ( 2 foot floro) and don't trim as much off leafs, so they have a way to intake water til they grow roots.

In a nut shell i have see not to have air tight dome, don't spray heavy mist and knock them over, use heat pad on med, water when peat drys at top of puck. For me with 70's in veg room I water small amount every other day. let them be free little each day,watch and if they start to wilt ...back under dome.
So far this batch is not wilting. Hope you are able to get the cloning flow down pat.
You might want to check out a cloning machine to add to your grow....roots in 5 days!
I plan on making a simple bubble clone machine when money permits :)

Ive been chaning the res out weekly and following the AN nutrient schedule from bcnorther lights.

i check the PH a few times a day and adjust to 5.6.

i did accidently skip a week on the nuts (i did week 5 when i should have done week 4's schedule)

what causes the leaves to look like that or is it normal?

thanks!

maybe a week or 2 ago the yellowing started. im using tap water..but i watch the PH closely.

week 6:
the nuts im using now are:
Connoisseur Bloom A: 60ml
Connoisseur Bloom B: 60ml
Big Bud Liquid: 90ml
Vita boost: 120ml
(into 8.2 gallons of ph 5.6 water)

pict update!

i finally got my PPM meter in..the res was at 1700 last week.

i lowered it to 1100 then and today i did a res swap and the water is at 700ppm.

i did 30 cc of BOTH connoisseur A and B (advanced nutrients) and 60ml of BIG bud into 8.5 gal of ph 5.6 water (tap). this was at about 1000ppm so i diluted to 700ppm

my tap water comes out at 136ppm.

this is about 6-7 weeks into flowering

what do you guys think- i want to begin a 1.5-2week flush of ph5.5 and (clearX solution) in about 4 days.

this is my first grow btw so please keep that in mind, im trying to go on what ive read.

pix:
<p>

DSC04690.JPG

<p>
DSC04691.JPG

<p>
DSC04692.JPG

<p>
DSC04694.JPG

<p>
DSC04699.JPG

<p>
DSC04703.JPG

dough it looks better you did get alot of dammage. But your on top of things now and thats good. Sorry I've busy with harvesting. Have you looked at the trics are the cloudy yet. IMO you have about 2 more weeks left and wait for more reds and browns in you bud color.:grinjoint:

Pan4

Back
Top Bottom