1st Bloombox Grow - Big Bud - Cheese

Re: 1st Bloombox Grow: Big Bud/Cheese

Good calls by xlr8. I agree they could be overwatered a bit and would only add that 24 hours may not be enough to out-gas the nasties from the water as milk containers have little surface area exposed. Perhaps a little longer there might help. Your PPM looks good.

With regard to soil should you go that way, I read early on that overwatering was a pretty common problem so I wait until the plants begin to show minor signs of wilting or when it weighs similar to when I potted it before watering. If there is minor wilting... no worries, they bounce back in mere minutes. Very resilient. It's a good idea to lift your plants a few times after transplanting to get a good feel for it's unwatered weight. That way you'll have an accurate standard to go by. Maybe save a few bucks and hold off on the meter as the plants speak very clearly on the subject. When I water the plants in soil I remove them from the cab and water at the sink so they can be watered-through to clear accumulated salts. That process has served me well.

After some time in soil your plant will have used up the soils nutrients. It'll tell you when. At that point I began using Advanced Nutrient's Mother Earth Tea-Grow @ 15ml per gal. It's done very well for me. Every 4th watering I omit the nutes and just use water. There are countless other methods, that just works for me.

Keep us posted... you're doing great!

I'm trying not to overwater and not over feed. Do you think the yellow leafs on new sprout are from not enough food or overwatering? Im nervous on new sprout

The pics indicate a little overwatering to me and like xlr8 said, you can probably bump the nutes up a tad. They do look a bit pale (if the lighting in the picture portrays accurately). A little more nute would quickly turn that around.

Have you had the opportunity to get around in the forums? There seems to be a solution to just about everything here. If you're ever in a pinch and the help you need exceeds the the abilities of the people following your thread, there is a lot of expert advice to be found with little search effort. Or, you could place a post in a "help" area. This forum is an oasis of friendly people and useful information.

Update

Mother plant is bumped up 2ml sensi grow A n B and 1ml of B52... I have been a newb on watering and will start cutting back on frequency and when I do water, water a bit more.
IMG_20110406_195025.jpg

IMG_20110406_195116.jpg

Power plant sprout roots are taking off I up nuts to a little under 1ml of A n B n B52. I will be placing this one in FFOF organic soil w organic perlite 1 gallon pot. I also purchased a cheap moisture/ph/light meter.
IMG_20110406_194930.jpg

IMG_20110406_194939.jpg

IMG_20110406_194948.jpg

The 3 inch is holding water a lot more so I'm going to wait another day or so before watering and I think I'm going to up nuts to 1ml or a little more.

Nice Arnold! If the color in the pics is right you're getting a deeper green going on now. I think you made a good point on waiting to water and watering more thoroughly when you do.

Looking good man!

I have been doing some more research on sensi grow feeding schedule and on website it is telling me 16ml per gallon and b52 at 8ml week 3-6. On BcNorthernlights they say mother plant maintenance is 4ml A and B per gallon. Any advice on feeding schedule....

My tap water is 310ppm I'm going to let sit 24hrs and see difference, next watering I'm thinking of switching to distilled to prevent root rot n nut lock....been doing a lot of reading on tap water n high ppms. Thoughts?

I have been doing some more research on sensi grow feeding schedule and on website it is telling me 16ml per gallon and b52 at 8ml week 3-6. On BcNorthernlights they say mother plant maintenance is 4ml A and B per gallon. Any advice on feeding schedule....

My tap water is 310ppm I'm going to let sit 24hrs and see difference, next watering I'm thinking of switching to distilled to prevent root rot n nut lock....been doing a lot of reading on tap water n high ppms. Thoughts?

First of all, things look much greener and good as Weed pointed out, so that's awesome. :goodjob:

I don't use AN Sensi nutes so I'm not as familiar with them, but I have used them a little, and in my opinion their recommendations are pretty high/strong compared to what I would do. What I can say for sure is that I have heard from a lot of people that they dial back the suggested levels by a 1/3 or more. I'm also guessing that maintenance for a mother requires a relatively low level of nutrients. I'd listen to BCNL on this one, personally, but great question.

I can't speak much for using tap water - before I got a Reverse Osmosis system I used distilled water only. It was a huge pain in the butt getting it, but it gave me the most control over what my plants were getting and eating. I highly recommend an RO system at some point if you keep doing this. If it were me, I'd use distilled for now. I like having control and eliminating possible problems before they exist. Alternatively, if you can get a water report there are people on this site who are usually willing to help you understand your water better and whether it will cause you problems, etc. If you want to go that route I can help or point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps! :goodluck:

If it were me I'd start with the lower recommended amounts. Easier to add than subtract. If the plant needs more you're already familiar with that sign, so that's good. I use their Mother Earth Tea Grow for my mothers and it's worked well by following the label. I use Sensi A&B Bloom in plants flowering in FFOF and am very pleased with the results. Again, following the label.

That's a pretty stiff drink your tap's serving up. From my learning on the subject I opted to avoid the whole water thing and put in a reverse osmosis system. Paid about $150 for it. There are much less expensive systems. I chose r/o to eliminate a problem set, improve the plants, and maximize my margin for error. But even that makes me have to add a calcium & magnesium supplement... no big deal, just another small step in the routine.

If that tap PPM holds true I'd definitely look into alternative water sources.

Arnold, I've been using straight tap water with NO issues what-so-ever and I do hydro. BUT, we have good water quality from our tap, and it's just about 125ppm out of the faucet.

I would not expect PPMs to decrease much, if at all, by letting it sit out.

More importantly, at 310 PPM you have a HIGH amount of total dissolved solids and are classified as having "hard water". IF you're gonna use your tap water, you should look at a line of nutes made specifically for hard water. Do NOT use a water softener!

As much of a fan of tap water as I am (I haven't had to add any cal/mag!), if my PPMs were above 200, I'd strongly consider an R/O filtration system or finding some other water source.
:goodluck:

Arnold, I've been using straight tap water with NO issues what-so-ever and I do hydro. BUT, we have good water quality from our tap, and it's just about 125ppm out of the faucet.

More importantly, at 310 PPM you have a HIGH amount of total dissolved solids and are classified as having "hard water". IF you're gonna use your tap water, you should look at a line of nutes made specifically for hard water. Do NOT use a water softener!

As much of a fan of tap water as I am (I haven't had to add any cal/mag!), if my PPMs were above 200, I'd strongly consider an R/O filtration system or finding some other water source.

Well said, Mr. Krip. Arnold, if the RO system needs to wait, your other water source could be distilled water. It's usually like 69 cents a gallon or something, so it's not too terribly expensive. Just bring cash to the store and start stocking up. RO system is the way to go in the long run though with your hard water - I love mine.

First of all, things look much greener and good as Weed pointed out, so that's awesome. :goodjob:

I don't use AN Sensi nutes so I'm not as familiar with them, but I have used them a little, and in my opinion their recommendations are pretty high/strong compared to what I would do. What I can say for sure is that I have heard from a lot of people that they dial back the suggested levels by a 1/3 or more. I'm also guessing that maintenance for a mother requires a relatively low level of nutrients. I'd listen to BCNL on this one, personally, but great question.

I can't speak much for using tap water - before I got a Reverse Osmosis system I used distilled water only. It was a huge pain in the butt getting it, but it gave me the most control over what my plants were getting and eating. I highly recommend an RO system at some point if you keep doing this. If it were me, I'd use distilled for now. I like having control and eliminating possible problems before they exist. Alternatively, if you can get a water report there are people on this site who are usually willing to help you understand your water better and whether it will cause you problems, etc. If you want to go that route I can help or point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps! :goodluck:

Well said, Mr. Krip. Arnold, if the RO system needs to wait, your other water source could be distilled water. It's usually like 69 cents a gallon or something, so it's not too terribly expensive. Just bring cash to the store and start stocking up. RO system is the way to go in the long run though with your hard water - I love mine.
:amen:

Agreed! Also, if you have an empty 5 gallon water bottle, or two, many cities have these "Water Stations" where you can fill up a one or five gallon bottle with Distilled or R/O (or spring) water for very low cost (since you're not buying the bottle!).

If it were me I'd start with the lower recommended amounts. Easier to add than subtract.

I chose r/o to eliminate a problem set, .

Double :amen:!!

Till I get my funds up I will be switching over to distilled water only! It's cheap and my little plants are not taking up too much at the time being. I will be investing in a RO system in the near future. Thanks for the support :) soil should be here Tom hopefully latest on monday

The BC rep told me to mix 70 soil/20 perlite/10 coco for mix with new sprout I'm putting in pot... I am hoping it All gets here before weekend because these roots are shooting through rock wool! I'll have updated feed schedule w new distilled water so plants wil appreciate me a bit more :) I will also be adding some perlite w coco for mother cheese

Ph for coco I'm going to try to keep between 5.3-6.0 And for soil mix 6.2-6.8 Give take a little

NEXT WATERING
Ppm mother around 300
Ppm for sprout 100

Will flush coco mother plant after next watering to flush salt/min build up

UPDATE

I have moved both mothers to 70/20/10 soil/perlite/coco and my plants seem to love it! I watered mother cheese with 300ppm 4ml of A n B sensi grow with 4ml B52 per gallon. Power plant mother is taking off 1ml at 100ppm, showed a tinny bit of nut burn so next feed going to stay same or lower just a tad.
IMG_20110415_215336.jpg

IMG_20110415_215417.jpg

I also placed cardboard boxes to prop up plants to keep from stretching to the light...

When do you think it would be save to take clones off cheese? It's about 7 inches and around 6 weeks old...

Back
Top Bottom