1st Bloombox Grow - Big Bud - Cheese

Re: 1st BLOOMBOX GROW: Big Bud/Cheese

UPDATE: not so god with the germ...I had the power in my house go out while I was gone so the temp dropped and some of the other seeds did not sprout :( As long as I can keep these healthy I will be happy, other than that I will keep everyone updated.

Q When should I start applying nuts to the new sprout of NL? N to what extent?

Sorry about the power loss. Bummer.

As for the nutes, I think letting the first set of leaves move along a bit further then begin with 1/4 strength of week 1 veg nutes would be a good way to go.

Hey there Arnold - just now saw your grow, and thought I'd follow along if you'll have me. Always fun to see another BCNL box in action. I have the Mothership w/ Roomate upgrade. It's their smallest box, but I've been able to get really good results with it so far.

I'd second WeednFeed's advice on starting nutrients, that's about how I do it, too.

Anyway, :goodluck: with the grow, and feel free to hit me up if I can ever be helpful somehow. It looks like you've been getting some great advice so far. Like WeedNFeed mentioned earlier I also have links in my signature to my current grow, as well as my first grow with it a couple of years ago.

:peacetwo: X

UPDATE

MOTHER PLANT.
She isn't doing the best starting to show signs of maybe over watering or nutt burn. Iwas watering every 4 days w a little less than 3 cups. The tub was still heavy when I refilled so I cut back a little more going to the feel. I dropped from 3ml A n B n 1ml of B52, 2ml. Next I will do straight ph flush n start back at 2ml or maybe even 1ml? Here is picture, she still growing but tips worry me.
IMG_20110323_093943.jpg

IMG_20110322_160911.jpg

Here is my afghan/NL. Power Plant
IMG_20110322_160919.jpg

Heating pad on low

Hey Arnold. I think they look fine. It sounds like you've reacted to the minor tip tan very well and things will move forward. As was told to me from my BCNL rep when I ordered; "don't be heavy handed with the water and the nutes. Those are the most common noob mistakes".

For me, watering potted plants is only done when they are light or when they are telling me they're thirsty (minor wilting). I'm not quite certain though how those hydro-buckets work with coco.

Seeing I'm on my first grow it would be sensible for you to take my advice last. I can say taking that advice from BCNL is working well for me.

I've only sought BCNL's assistance for a couple of technical questions. All the growing information I've consumed has chiefly been from this forum and others to much lesser degrees.

Seems to me you're doing fine. :thumb:

Hey Arnold. I think they look fine. It sounds like you've reacted to the minor tip tan very well and things will move forward. As was told to me from my BCNL rep when I ordered; "don't be heavy handed with the water and the nutes. Those are the most common noob mistakes".

For me, watering potted plants is only done when they are light or when they are telling me they're thirsty (minor wilting). I'm not quite certain though how those hydro-buckets work with coco.

Seeing I'm on my first grow it would be sensible for you to take my advice last. I can say taking that advice from BCNL is working well for me.

I've only sought BCNL's assistance for a couple of technical questions. All the growing information I've consumed has chiefly been from this forum and others to much lesser degrees.

Seems to me you're doing fine. :thumb:

Well said WeedNFeed. You definitely had some nute burn, but your new growth looks good from what I can see, and the plant looks pretty healthy to me, so I'm assuming you made an adjustment or the plant caught up some to the level of nutrients you were giving her. Be careful not to over-manage her, and you'll be just fine.

I've found the BCNL guys pretty helpful in the past as well - nice to hear they're still pretty good to work with.

Seedlings look healthy, too. Don't sweat the burnt tips, it happens to all of us from time to time (except maybe Be Irie or Matanuska Valley, lol). Now you know the ceiling and can work back down.
:cheer:

Well said WeedNFeed. You definitely had some nute burn, but your new growth looks good from what I can see, and the plant looks pretty healthy to me, so I'm assuming you made an adjustment or the plant caught up some to the level of nutrients you were giving her. Be careful not to over-manage her, and you'll be just fine.

I've found the BCNL guys pretty helpful in the past as well - nice to hear they're still pretty good to work with.

Seedlings look healthy, too. Don't sweat the burnt tips, it happens to all of us from time to time (except maybe Be Irie or Matanuska Valley, lol). Now you know the ceiling and can work back down.
:cheer:

Better said xlr8. ;)

Better said xlr8. ;)

Thanks WeednFeed, that is very kind... but I'm blown away by the success you're having right now - you've made a lot of the right moves instinctively and from reading up/asking questions. It's super cool to see you trying to share the knowledge so quickly, and humbly - but you're spot on almost always from what I see.

Anyway - mad props WeednFeed, truly. :thumb:

Arnold, have you seen what WeednFeed's got exploding from his BCNL Producer and homemade box?!? We should all hope for bud forests like that! That'll be you soon, so stock up on glass jars!! :yummy:

Thanks WeednFeed, that is very kind... but I'm blown away by the success you're having right now - you've made a lot of the right moves instinctively and from reading up/asking questions. It's super cool to see you trying to share the knowledge so quickly, and humbly - but you're spot on almost always from what I see.

Anyway - mad props WeednFeed, truly. :thumb:

Arnold, have you seen what WeednFeed's got exploding from his BCNL Producer and homemade box?!? We should all hope for bud forests like that! That'll be you soon, so stock up on glass jars!! :yummy:

You, my friend are kindness personified.

I'm kinda thinking that between Arnold, you and me, we may have the makings of a support group going on!

Arnold, xlr8 is right on about the glass jars. Just follow the menu and resist the urge to become over-involved in the plant's lives should it arise. For my part, I have learned to listen by observation and that environmental control and the BCNL feeding schedule are pretty much everything if you've got sound genetics. This, of course comes from my limited experience.

Please never hesitate to ask if you have a question. We have the important things in common.

Re: 1st Bloombox Grow: Big Bud/Cheese

Arnold-- Early in my grow I received this very sound [experienced] advice from xlr8. Words to grow by my friend:

A few random things I've learned that could be helpful:

I used to overmanage PH - I now spend way less time and effort on maintaining perfect PH - it's okay to let it meander a little as long as it stays within reach of 5.5-5.8 or so. Plants uptake nutrients more efficiently at various PH levels and it's okay for it to fluctuate some (it's better really). I do check PH nearly every day, however, so I always know where it's at. A good PH pen is essential, as is a TDS pen. I use Oakton for both, and they've been very reliable since the beginning.

Short to medium plants will work best in BCNL boxes (indica or indica/sativa hybrids). Even with shorter plants they'll all outgrow their ceiling, so flower early and be prepared make adjustments with string, etc. to keep them from frying against the ceiling/light.

Always close the drain valve on tub/drainline after changing out nutes/water. I know a couple of people here (myself included) who've forgotten this. If you forget, you'll get a room full of water when the "watering" period commences. (And you will never forget it again).

Update
IMG_20110330_205254.jpg

IMG_20110330_205259.jpg

IMG_20110330_205348.jpg

New growth good but underneath not looking as good.... I need some help on the watering! It seems like every time I water leafs start to droop. I am thinking of going to home depot and getting cheap moisturizer reader?
IMG_20110330_205322.jpg

Other sprout power plant

?what you think of topping mother cheese? It's month old ?

The afghan isn't looking so great bc it didn't take as well with the mild nuts as power plant did.

I'm not sure on the watering, I've never grown in Coco like that - sometimes when they're young though they can react like that right after a watering, though. As long as they perk back up right away you're probably fine. Your new growth does look good. This is just me, but I might hesitate to top your plant yet. She still seems like she's recovering from some nutrient burn. Topping causes stress, and she's already had a little stress (stress can make them "hermie" on you). If it were me, I'd use LST style training if I wanted to keep an even canopy and create more colas. Same net effect, easier on the plant. If you want to learn more about LST - here are a couple of links (I also did some LST earlier in my grow, too.):

LST How to do

LST pics inside

LST diagram

:goodluck:

IMG_20110403_233743.jpg

IMG_20110403_233815.jpg

5.9 ph tab water w 1ml of sensi grow A B and B52
IMG_20110403_233659.jpg

6.0 tab water no nutrients but was using just a drop of the nuts.... I had an idea to put the power plant in soil n use the other side along side lst training, then when mother cheese is ready to clone I will start them up so they will be ready when soil power plant flowers. Soil will be fox farm ocean forest, should I get same mother plant hydro tubs from bc?

Any advice with ph, watering, temp, would be appreciated. I am reading up on forums but your help has been great.

Box mainly at 75-80m degree w lights n gets down to 75-70 with lights off

Looking good Arnold! Can't comment on the BCNL containers... never used'em. I can say I've had great success with FFOF soil in 1-gal pots using a stone or marble drainage layer in the bottoms.

Your temps look fine.

Hi Arnold -

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions in order to try to better help.

First of all, your temps sound fine. PH sounds fine too, but I'm not sure if Coco has different PH considerations. In general, hydroponic PH should be maintained between about 5.5 - 6.1.

What specifically are your PPM's on your mother plant? It actually looks now like it might be "underfed" a bit, but it's tough for me to tell for sure. It also looks like it might be a little over watered, too. Make sure the bucket for your mother gets significantly lighter before you water again each time.

I'm not seeing roots coming out of your rockwool on the sprout - are they and I'm missing it? It seems like you should have roots springing out of the sides and bottom by now. I'm concerned that it might be getting over-watered and it's keeping the roots from properly developing. I don't use rockwool, but that's my guess based on the picture.

A little bit about water:
Are you using tap water? I saw you mentioned "tab water" - is that the same as tap water? If you are using water from your faucet (tap) I'd advise you to first fill up a container and then let it sit out overnight first (about a day) uncovered or partly covered. Believe it or not, a lot of tap water has chemicals in it that can be bad for your plant straight out of the tap - specifically chlorine. If you let the water sit out overnight the chlorine will rise to the top and evaporate.

Tap water is not always ideal, but if you let it air out for a day or so it'll usually work. Another alternative is to buy distilled water or reverse osmosis water from your local store (unless you already have a RO system). Distilled or RO water are very pure and don't contain harmful chemicals or unknown quantities of certain mineral elements, giving you a clean slate for your nutrients. You can sometimes find out what your water has in it either online or by checking with your local municipality - they can probably give you some sort of a water report to clarify what's in your water. If you can get that, I can probably help you make sense of your water quality and what adjustments to make based on your water. (I'm no expert at all on it, but Doc Bud on this site is really good at this, and I think he'd help us with this if we asked him.)

Things still look overall healthy on both the mothers new growth and the sprout, but I want to make sure I have a complete understanding of things so we can keep any problems at bay.

I've never grown in soil, and I'm not familiar with the containers you are using and referring too, but I'm guessing you'd want a different container for soil. Keep in mind when growing with soil there are different PH considerations. Also, I'm not quite sure about transplanting from rockwool to soil -- maybe do a search here or google to see if this can be done and how, etc.

Good job so far!

My ppm is around 330 n I have milk gallons i let sit for at least 24 hours before I use on plants. If it's better on plants I could just buy a bunch of distilled... But I think I might be over watering a little bit and next feed I'm going to bump up to 2ml A B n 1ml B52. I will do some more research on rock wool and soil because I think soil will be easier then coco. I am going to get moisture reader and soil this week.

My power plant has roots coming from bottom big time now btw. I just read a bunch of people sticking rock wool cubes in soil just recommended to top feed for first week.

For watering I let rock wool on power plant get to around 10 to 20 percent dried out before watering again. Mother cheese I have been watering 1 cup every 3 4 days depending on moisture and what plant telling me

Back
Top Bottom