Blackberry: The Real Story

Interesting info on Nirvana. Knowing that I am likely to spend the extra $$$ to help support the true breeders. I do like the Papaya though... I think it's been inbred a few too many times though, it shows some weird mutations. I've seen polyploiding, strange leaf mutations, and even some unusual variagated albino leaves. Hmmm.... thank you for clearing that up though. Anyone who would sell out another grower/breeder is bunk in my book. and ripping strains? K'mon. Just a little creativity and make yer own. It's not like he dont have the recources. geeze.

YOU ARE 100% right. Papaya shows WAY too many mutations. They should pull the strain off the market. It grows all the problems you mentioned plus many many more. Just way too unstable and what a burn to grow it and find out after you have invested so much time germinating, spending money on a clone or a seed to find you have a bunk strain. We should make a list of strains to stay away from because Papaya is definately one of them. :lot-o-toke:

YOU ARE 100% right. Papaya shows WAY too many mutations. They should pull the strain off the market. It grows all the problems you mentioned plus many many more. Just way too unstable and what a burn to grow it and find out after you have invested so much time germinating, spending money on a clone or a seed to find you have a bunk strain. We should make a list of strains to stay away from because Papaya is definately one of them. :lot-o-toke:

order some blackberry from Nirvana you wont be disappointed..

I literally just ordered some ''blackberry'' yesterday from nirvana but through the ''single seed co'' and now I feel screwed. I spent alot of time searching for the right strains for me. I also ordered white widow, white skunk and G13. Are these any good or am I just screwed all the way around. I've got too many mouths to feed to be buying junk seeds. It would be nice to have a reliable and true list of good strains and good seed bank co. Who around here has the first hand knowledge to make such a list? Any advice would be awesome!

G13 is good for sleep for some,doesn't taste very good. a nice white widow is like slipping into a warm bath after a long day. Mother them and you'll not be out much if you don't like the Blackberry. I'm not familiar with the other strain, sorry.

The free seeds that come from SSC this month are genetically modified. Please don't plant them outside or use them for breeding. I'm going to flower mine, but they will live and die inside, never to breed.

I refer to Jason King's Cannabibles frequently. Excellent strain info. I also google the strain, and search for strain info here at 420.
HTH~

I literally just ordered some ''blackberry'' yesterday from nirvana but through the ''single seed co'' and now I feel screwed. I spent alot of time searching for the right strains for me. I also ordered white widow, white skunk and G13. Are these any good or am I just screwed all the way around. I've got too many mouths to feed to be buying junk seeds. It would be nice to have a reliable and true list of good strains and good seed bank co. Who around here has the first hand knowledge to make such a list? Any advice would be awesome!

if you ordered from nirvana you'll be fine.. i just finished the blackberry from them and i'm very impressed with them.. they can say all they want about nirvana seed but they been good to me..

This is a very intriguing thread. The local dispensery has a strain called "Blackberry" and it is very very dark purple, almost black. Some buds are more a bluish color. The leaves are all purple and it is covered in crystals and orange hairs. It has a very berry taste. As far as potency goes. It is not the strongest out there but its unique color and taste sets it apart from a lot of other "meds". Not the strongest or best strain out there but not weak either. Not sure where it comes from but I have bought it a few times and it just your run of the mill strain. I can see crossing it with other strains. Not exactly the strongest strain out there.

I totally understand the enticing name of blackberry, hell I bought the seeds from nirvana and am doing a journal right now! Although I know it isn't the true blackberry I'm still happy with my purchase. Plus whitewidowman can vouch for its high :yummy:
But what we have white is a black domino x raspberry cough. I definently don't agree with the name stealing but it gets the job done and the only thing it can hurt is nirvanas reputation. I'm gonna stick with this strain seeing as its about to flower anyways, but at least if I am disappointed I will know to order from a more reputable seed co.
Check out my grow in a few weeks if anyone wants to see nirvanas "blackberry" in flower. I'll be switching to 12/12 in probably 2 weeks
Whitewidowman, if you have any pics of the flowering plants or the buds afterwords post em up! I'm sure everyone would like to see it.

I totally understand the enticing name of blackberry, hell I bought the seeds from nirvana and am doing a journal right now! Although I know it isn't the true blackberry I'm still happy with my purchase. Plus whitewidowman can vouch for its high :yummy:
But what we have white is a black domino x raspberry cough. I definently don't agree with the name stealing but it gets the job done and the only thing it can hurt is nirvanas reputation. I'm gonna stick with this strain seeing as its about to flower anyways, but at least if I am disappointed I will know to order from a more reputable seed co.
Check out my grow in a few weeks if anyone wants to see nirvanas "blackberry" in flower. I'll be switching to 12/12 in probably 2 weeks
Whitewidowman, if you have any pics of the flowering plants or the buds afterwords post em up! I'm sure everyone would like to see it.

to late for pic's, done smoked it up.. lol trust me tho you'll be very happy with bb..:goodluck:

it was allready in progress when i posted it.. really i dont see how blackberry got it's bad rap,, they must been a sorry growers or they was just burned out.. lol

Hello, I know there are people here that know the story. Maybe they can not be bothered. Don't know Don't care. But I love the facts.
A guy with the handle of SomaBlaze popped some bagseed. One girl was dark purple. She was a purty gal, but had no potency. He passed out a few clones to friends. Nebu and I believe Subcool was the other guy. Subby crossed said clone with AK47 if memory serves. He called the cross Black Russian. The seeds were sold on an auction site. One pack was bought by OrgnKid of Cali Kush seeds. He selfed the best female he got. Then sold the seeds as Blackberry S1. There is no such thing as Blackberry with potency. The real BB had no potency. If you are growing something called Blackberry and it has some potency it is not pure Blackberry. Blackberry was a purty gal and she had no wack to her.
SomaBlaze has passed on...RIP. I am not sure but believe no one holds the original clone anymore. I believe Subby gave up on purple strains because of the potency issue. That was 3 or 4 years ago and things do change.

There was a Blackberry and White Widow cross done about the same time as the Black Russian, on that one I have no information.

If you have a different story on Blackberry post it up. :peace:

The first time I ran into "Blackberry" was when I got my medical marijuana card. I had never seen or heard of this strain before. Up until this point I thought I had seen it all when it came to cannabis. Boy was I wrong. I go to the dispensary and there is a row of 20 jars on the counter with various strains labeled and glass jars with buds as large as my fist in some of them. One jar stood out, the jar labeled "BLACKBERRY" had purple leaves and orange hair and looked much darker and blacker than anything else on the countertop. At $30.00 for 5 grams I gave it a try. As a first time customer they also gave me 4 grams of Chem Dawg # 4, some OG Kush and a bunch of other strains for free. I took the Blackberry home and tried it and it soon became a favorite of mine. It is dark purple weed with blue hues and and orange hairs. The smell varies and the high is not overpowering but not weak either. It is middle of the road weed. It has a great taste and smell but is not extremely potent. Most plants these days potency is not the issue. How the plant looks, smells, and makes you feel overall is how people judge pot these days. Each strain, and each pheno within that strain could have various psychoactive properties that are not the same as other phenos within that same strain! Also, how the plant was raised has a lot to do with it. When the plant was harvested was it flushed properly? Was it grown in soil? Hydro? Hempy? So many factors not to mention cure and so many other things lead to overall quality. Making good cannabis really is a hard proposition if you think about it :hookah: I like BLACKBERRY. It is a good price, and a reliable smoke I know I can depend on if the collective is out of my favorites or if I'm bored for something new I pick up a bag of blackberry. Also, ordered some Blackberry seeds from single seed. So I will see how that goes...my aurora Indica failed to germ but I bought 2 of each this time! :Rasta::Rasta::Rasta: :cool:

Forgot to mention, and I hate editing...NIRVANA Blackberry seeds at the Single seed center are around 3.50 a seed. That is a steal!!! You could grow quite a few plants for 60 bucks worth of seeds. I also bought 60 day wonder and The Church. Whole order with shipping was under 40 bucks and I got 2 free feminized seeds with it for free. So basically, I have all the seeds I need for my spring outdoor grow if they all germ, and I get lot's of females which I have a plan for. When they sprout i am going to make a grow box and hit them with 12/12 light until they get bigger and then switch to 18/6 or 19/5 which is what I use now. This gives you more females I heard....I was running my plants in VEG under 24-0 and its great if you want your plants to grow SLOW but if you want your plants to grow big and fast put them 18-6 or 19-5 or 20-4 even and they will get way bigger and healthier. When you put them on 24-0 it stunts them. Some strains it stunts them bad so don't do it. Giving them more light actually hurts them because when the lights off they grow too, they use the light stored up to build roots and they release Co2 instead of oxygen so running 24-0 is a bad idea unless irs maybe pure ruderalis and even those aren't meant to flower under 24 hour light even though they can sometimes.

Forgot to mention, and I hate editing...NIRVANA Blackberry seeds at the Single seed center are around 3.50 a seed. That is a steal!!! You could grow quite a few plants for 60 bucks worth of seeds. I also bought 60 day wonder and The Church. Whole order with shipping was under 40 bucks and I got 2 free feminized seeds with it for free. So basically, I have all the seeds I need for my spring outdoor grow if they all germ, and I get lot's of females which I have a plan for. When they sprout i am going to make a grow box and hit them with 12/12 light until they get bigger and then switch to 18/6 or 19/5 which is what I use now. This gives you more females I heard....I was running my plants in VEG under 24-0 and its great if you want your plants to grow SLOW but if you want your plants to grow big and fast put them 18-6 or 19-5 or 20-4 even and they will get way bigger and healthier. When you put them on 24-0 it stunts them. Some strains it stunts them bad so don't do it. Giving them more light actually hurts them because when the lights off they grow too, they use the light stored up to build roots and they release Co2 instead of oxygen so running 24-0 is a bad idea unless irs maybe pure ruderalis and even those aren't meant to flower under 24 hour light even though they can sometimes.

sorry but no

Interesting thread. So... let me get this right before I get it all mixed up... Mau is a said to be a trickster who is the wizard behind the curtain at Nirvana Seed Co., and he or his company is said to "steal" successful seed names, re-branding them to sell Nirvana's own copycat products with the stolen names, and one such product, Nirvana's Blackberry, may or may not be great weed, but the big story here was simply this: the Nirvana product is Not the Real Blackberry: Nirvana is using the name Blackberry and making good sales even though someone else, Shantibaba or whoever, once used that name for another unrelated strain that has since disappeared.

So buyer beware, Nirvana's Blackberry is said not to be the "original" or "real" " blackberry" cannabis strain. But it's all nothing to get upset about because the original real blackberry had no potency anyway, all it ever had going was just a nice color, sort of a gag-strain. Pretty but impotent.

It even looks like Cocojoe suspected that the evil Mau is trolling this thread in the guise of whitewidowman, trying to get unsuspecting growers to buy his highly dubious product. Whitewidowman posted on Nov 19, 2010, that he had just bought Nirvana's Blackberry, but later asserted plausible deniability, saying he was growing the plant all along and had not just ordered it (like he had said).

Posted Nov 19, 2010:
damm i just bought some blackberry from them.. now i fill like it's going to be a waist of time..

Posted Dec 20:
hello guys i just got done with my blackberry and wow!!! worth every penny
i'm very happy with blackberry, so if anybodys growing bb from Nirvana it's worth it!:tokin::tokin::tokin:

Posted Jan 4, 2011
This post is dated 11/19/10.
Must be a fast strain, huh Mau.

Posted in reply on Jan 4:
it was allready in progress when i posted it.. really i dont see how blackberry got it's bad rap,, they must been a sorry growers or they was just burned out.. lol

So, you out there, Mau? Cocojoe, you got a grudge or something, and you sure whitewidowman is just a troll for Mau aka Nirvana? Well maybe but what's was all the fuss about here?

The cannabis seed business must be very competitive when it comes to the name that goes on the package. Obviously, the word blackberry is a great name for a purple cannabis strain. And great names are hard to come by. And when you find a great name and use it, resulting in sales, other breeders are bound to notice. Maybe even wish they'd used that name first. But the original strain called blackberry, the one you never heard about from years back before Nirvana brought out their Blackberry, a strain from Shantibaba or Subcool or other legendary breeder, that original strain has apparently disappeared, along with that other breeder's right to use "Blackberry" as a trademark. In order to keep your trademark, you need to keep using it. Use it or lose it. Since there is no one to complain that Nirvana's use of "blackberry" is unfair to another breeder who originally used and continues to use that name, Nirvana is totally within the rules of the common law of trademark to market and sell their strain as "Blackberry".

Before I ran across this thread, I researched this strain this year and saw that two breeders, Nirvana and Sativa Seedbank (a Nirvana-affiliated entity) sell two different versions of Blackberry seed. Nirvana's is indica-dominant and I am looking for more body there. Sativa Seedbank's is more sativa-leaning. Nirvana owns both genetics, so it would seem Nirvana won the trademark war as regards the name blackberry, whether sativa or indica-dominant.

I bought 5 Nirvana Blackberry seeds and am currently growing out two. Am looking for a pleasant high combining body and cerebral effects, not too strong, but relaxing and stimulating. Will post more in my West-Facing balcony grow for 2020 when the plants are all up and running, and will post a review later in the year. Cheers, and happy growing! Emeraldo

Back
Top Bottom