Blackberry: The Real Story

What I think is funny. Is they decided purple weed was not strong because of the Black Russian project. How wrong they were. Those purple genetics sucked not all the rest LOL.

Hell now days it is hard not to find some purple in weed

Interesting thread. So... let me get this right before I get it all mixed up... Mau is a said to be a trickster who is the wizard behind the curtain at Nirvana Seed Co., and he or his company is said to "steal" successful seed names, re-branding them to sell Nirvana's own copycat products with the stolen names, and one such product, Nirvana's Blackberry, may or may not be great weed, but the big story here was simply this: the Nirvana product is Not the Real Blackberry: Nirvana is using the name Blackberry and making good sales even though someone else, Shantibaba or whoever, once used that name for another unrelated strain that has since disappeared.

So buyer beware, Nirvana's Blackberry is said not to be the "original" or "real" " blackberry" cannabis strain. But it's all nothing to get upset about because the original real blackberry had no potency anyway, all it ever had going was just a nice color, sort of a gag-strain. Pretty but impotent.

It even looks like Cocojoe suspected that the evil Mau is trolling this thread in the guise of whitewidowman, trying to get unsuspecting growers to buy his highly dubious product. Whitewidowman posted on Nov 19, 2010, that he had just bought Nirvana's Blackberry, but later asserted plausible deniability, saying he was growing the plant all along and had not just ordered it (like he had said).

Posted Nov 19, 2010:

Posted Dec 20:

Posted Jan 4, 2011

Posted in reply on Jan 4:

So, you out there, Mau? Cocojoe, you got a grudge or something, and you sure whitewidowman is just a troll for Mau aka Nirvana? Well maybe but what's was all the fuss about here?

The cannabis seed business must be very competitive when it comes to the name that goes on the package. Obviously, the word blackberry is a great name for a purple cannabis strain. And great names are hard to come by. And when you find a great name and use it, resulting in sales, other breeders are bound to notice. Maybe even wish they'd used that name first. But the original strain called blackberry, the one you never heard about from years back before Nirvana brought out their Blackberry, a strain from Shantibaba or Subcool or other legendary breeder, that original strain has apparently disappeared, along with that other breeder's right to use "Blackberry" as a trademark. In order to keep your trademark, you need to keep using it. Use it or lose it. Since there is no one to complain that Nirvana's use of "blackberry" is unfair to another breeder who originally used and continues to use that name, Nirvana is totally within the rules of the common law of trademark to market and sell their strain as "Blackberry".

Before I ran across this thread, I researched this strain this year and saw that two breeders, Nirvana and Sativa Seedbank (a Nirvana-affiliated entity) sell two different versions of Blackberry seed. Nirvana's is indica-dominant and I am looking for more body there. Sativa Seedbank's is more sativa-leaning. Nirvana owns both genetics, so it would seem Nirvana won the trademark war as regards the name blackberry, whether sativa or indica-dominant.

I bought 5 Nirvana Blackberry seeds and am currently growing out two. Am looking for a pleasant high combining body and cerebral effects, not too strong, but relaxing and stimulating. Will post more in my West-Facing balcony grow for 2020 when the plants are all up and running, and will post a review later in the year. Cheers, and happy growing! Emeraldo
Very intrigued .. I've been looking for the Blackberry for a very long time... I've also heard these stories before about the Blackberry. Are you keeping a grow log?

What I think is funny. Is they decided purple weed was not strong because of the Black Russian project. How wrong they were. Those purple genetics sucked not all the rest LOL.

Hell now days it is hard not to find some purple in weed
I guess that would be up to tolerance, I've never smoked some real Knock me out purple weed and I kinda collect in that direction. Can you name some true breeding purps that are? I would definitely love to get my paws on some

Very intrigued .. I've been looking for the Blackberry for a very long time... I've also heard these stories before about the Blackberry. Are you keeping a grow log?

Yeh, Blackberry is a great name. Am growing a Nirvana Blackberry in my balcony grow this year, just a seedling as yet. But there are so many strains with that word in the name. About 30 use "blackberry" (one word) and another half dozen use "black berry". Most are indica-leaning, but the genetics vary widely, the only thing these seeds have in common is the name.

I guess that would be up to tolerance, I've never smoked some real Knock me out purple weed and I kinda collect in that direction. Can you name some true breeding purps that are? I would definitely love to get my paws on some

Nor have I. Having purple weed was just the latest fashion for a while. The gene for purple leaves and stems is heritable, but my guess is it does not enhance the effect by much. Maybe there is a purple terpene that gives a berry bouquet.

Yeh, Blackberry is a great name. Am growing a Nirvana Blackberry in my balcony grow this year, just a seedling as yet. But there are so many strains with that word in the name. About 30 use "blackberry" (one word) and another half dozen use "black berry". Most are indica-leaning, but the genetics vary widely, the only thing these seeds have in common is the name.

Nor have I. Having purple weed was just the latest fashion for a while. The gene for purple leaves and stems is heritable, but my guess is it does not enhance the effect by much. Maybe there is a purple terpene that gives a berry bouquet.
I am a big fan of purple's and Pinks. They might not be as potent but sure are beautiful. I did cross a purple to a green girl scout cookies and its f1's came out pink and kept it's potency. So there is potential, but as for solid Black/Dark Purple I haven't came across one yet.

The Purple Strain I grow is plenty strong. At least the effects are. It is basically a hybrid of Purps x White Russian. You need to pheno hunt for the Purple and Pink pheno's but when you find them they are as really strong. It was a outlaw growers take on Purple weed. The Purps side is a blend of Mendo, Seedking, BCBD Purps. The Purps is by far my favorite of the berry strains.

Personally I don't care about color. This strain has plenty multi colored pheno's that are plenty strong. I don't worry about looking for the totally purple pheno. My personal favorite is the Pink one but it is harder to find. Next one I find I will keep. I just don't grow very many seeds at a time any more of that strain.

The Purple Strain I grow is plenty strong. At least the effects are. It is basically a hybrid of Purps x White Russian. You need to pheno hunt for the Purple and Pink pheno's but when you find them they are as really strong. It was a outlaw growers take on Purple weed. The Purps side is a blend of Mendo, Seedking, BCBD Purps. The Purps is by far my favorite of the berry strains.

Personally I don't care about color. This strain has plenty multi colored pheno's that are plenty strong. I don't worry about looking for the totally purple pheno. My personal favorite is the Pink one but it is harder to find. Next one I find I will keep. I just don't grow very many seeds at a time any more of that strain.
Same here..3 or 4 plants at a time. Definitely keep a pink pheno! Did you cross the purps with Russian or did you buy it? How many different pheno's did you get off that cross. I'm assuming by the way you typed it the Russian was the pollen donor?

I would love to find a black/purple hybrid or ibl that would knock me off my feet. You might have some gold in those seeds. A lot of these really great strains that we have today and back then was discovered by accident.

When I met with Mr Soul and picked up a bunch of genetics from him. We had a conversation about it. He said he was interested in it. I gave him around a 100 seeds of it in the hopes he would do something with it. I really would like the old outlaw that made it get some notice.

He said he was going to look at it and maybe release something from them. I know he never even grew them out as he would have found something to work with even if wasn't the purple pheno. I really thought he was going to go with the multi colored pheno I nicknamed Rainbow Purps. No way he ran any amount of those seeds or he would have found something he liked. There are 3 great phenotypes.

When I met with Mr Soul and picked up a bunch of genetics from him. We had a conversation about it. He said he was interested in it. I gave him around a 100 seeds of it in the hopes he would do something with it. I really would like the old outlaw that made it get some notice.

He said he was going to look at it and maybe release something from them. I know he never even grew them out as he would have found something to work with even if wasn't the purple pheno. I really thought he was going to go with the multi colored pheno I nicknamed Rainbow Purps. No way he ran any amount of those seeds or he would have found something he liked. There are 3 great phenotypes.
When I saw you mentioned the name outlaw yesterday I tried looking for the thread but couldn't find it. I'm glad you made this reply because I have so many questions for you. Did you get those seeds from outlaw himself or order, how long did you have these seeds? Did you work with them? If so what gen were they when you got them and what gen did you work them up too? Did you get a chance to ask these guy's what they think Blackberry really is? The story I've heard was that it was a pack.

Do you still have some of the original seeds?

Back
Top Bottom