BMG Grow Journal

🤔 I would lean more on the "janky" side when I was growing. I went to the dollar store and bought a ton of their plastic trash cans and drilled holes in the bottom. Those were my pots. I would make my own medium with sphagnum peat moss and perlite. Peat moss comes in acidic so I would use garden lime to neutralize it. My nutes of choice were organic amendments (Down to Earth). I was and am always busy, so I didn't have time for feeding like that. The veggies would eat up my fertilize time every other week. I crafted my own super soil. It has quick and slow release nutrients and would feed through an entire outdoor grow season. I am not quite sure if that was the fiscally sound approach given the cost of the amendments. 😂 It sure kept me free to do other things. I couldn't imagine chasing pH and have mad respect for you growers who do. My grow approach I guess was borderline "neglect". 🤣
I would love to learn how to make my own supersoil. Do you have a recipe you can share with me? With your supersoil do you just use regular tap water?

For the next run ill be growing the autos in even smaller pots. I wanted to upgrade the photos into 2 gal pots but 6 for $32.99 has me debating whether or not the 1 gal pots are sufficient enough because I can do feed, feed Sat-Tue and plain water Thursday after work. I'm leaning towards sticking with the 1 gal pots but those 2 gal pots sure were beautiful 😍.

Separated the two females and pollinated both 1 back to itself and 1 to an Auto. Here's a pic of the Blood preservation.

20240303_223140.jpg

I'll be doing some landraces next. I'm still sticking to my plans and have a pretty good idea on what I'll be doing next and in what order. I have 18 more to go! I've decided not to refer to the name of the strains ive collected over the year's or any breeder information going forward, so after this run and from here on out my next grows will simply just be referred to as "Presv#."

Love these pots so much I had to get the other sizes and saucers. Only had 1 break on me from a really hard fall when I bought my first set, but other than that they are very durable, thick and I think they'll last a lifetime if taken care of properly. The drainage on these pots were the main reason why I was attracted to them and then the design makes it easy to bring out of the grow room and set around the house as decor.

20240305_024951.jpg

InShot_20240305_052840748.jpg

(About the Males)
3 out of 5 that bled were males.

Male#1-Bled Maroon red (Culled)

Male#2-Bled Black (Used to Pollinate)

Male#3-Bled Bright Red and Bled from leaves (Used to pollinate)

(About the Females)
2 out of 5 Females. Both Female #1 and #2 Bled Bright Red

Female#1- was put in the tent with Male#1 and #2

Female#2- was put in the Autoflower Cabinet and was pollinated with Male Autoflower pollen that was stored to create My first "Documented" cross online.

I'll be taking photos of all the plants soon. Both females show signs of pollination.

I agree with you. There is something triumphant and uhh 🤔...just overall notable about a grand looking male in their prime. The males traits are also a determining factor for breeding, I agree.

I personally would look to their tightness of their anther clusters, overall structure, and smell/terpene profile when selecting my males.

To determine the males scent I would rub their stalks and smell my fingers. That actually is one of my favorite past times when growing. 🤣
I've not rubbed an smelled a male yet, y'all make it sound so satisfying

This autoflower turned out to be different from the last. This is more of a purple/blackish pheno, not what I was looking for... these seeds will be set aside when harvested. I will be going back into the previous set of seeds to find another red pheno.

20240310_012952.jpg

20240310_013049.jpg

I'm thinking of keeping Male#3 and Female#1 back to reveg and keep as a bonsai after this preservation. I have a lot of cool stuff like plants that turn completely Black, to Red/Pink flowering plants, variegated plants that are half white and half green, Bleeding plants, plants with bright Pink Pistils and many many lines with different shades of purple flowers. I don't want to get into the habit of keeping a bunch of Mothers and Father's in bonsai when im preserving the lines already so I'm debating.

Variegated Line 2.jpg

Male#3 root trimmed and put into a smaller pot for reveg to be kept as a Father plant. Female#1 will be treated the same when she is finished with this seed run. I'll be doing this with all the Photoperiods as I go through my collection. I believe these smaller pots are perfect for bonsai and will be using these pots specifically for keeping moms and dads after each run.

20240310_220534.jpg

20240310_220544.jpg

20240310_220556.jpg

Love the Bonsai approach. I had some for over 2 yrs. I never root trimmed I would just start an entire new clone. I did square pots for more root room. Though I doubt the extra soil benefit was negligible. As long as they are fed with light they are happy. What nutes do you plan on using for them? I went with an organic 2-2-2 (fish emulsion, liquid kelp, and molasses). It was made by Kellogg and was perfect for what I was doing. I have heard chelated chemical nutes can have salt build up after a while of feeding. My main issue with bonsais was magnesium deficiency. I supplemented with Epsom salt every other watering and properly addressed all issues and the plants were happy.

Love the Bonsai approach. I had some for over 2 yrs. I never root trimmed I would just start an entire new clone. I did square pots for more root room. Though I doubt the extra soil benefit was negligible. As long as they are fed with light they are happy. What nutes do you plan on using for them? I went with an organic 2-2-2 (fish emulsion, liquid kelp, and molasses). It was made by Kellogg and was perfect for what I was doing. I have heard chelated chemical nutes can have salt build up after a while of feeding. My main issue with bonsais was magnesium deficiency. I supplemented with Epsom salt every other watering and properly addressed all issues and the plants were happy.
Sup Pat! I use the cheap stuff GH 3 part! I've had Bonsai's in the past but the only issue I had was keeping the plants wet. I was thinking about using the square pots for the Bonsais but they take up too much room. I believe by the end of this thread I should have about 30+ Mothers and Father's to choose from so i know i wont have much room or space to play with and that the smaller pot might not be the best idea but it might just be the better option when it comes to working with limited space using the square pot's.🤞

Back
Top Bottom