Bud issue need help please

Is that the one with bugs?

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž
Yes. It is. And that's why I worry about it.

About my experience with this strain...
This strain I know turns yellow once it has decent bud formation. The last one did it and it concerned me. You know ...the post I made in this thread with the finished pistachio plant sitting on the porch railing? That plant yellowed. ...while it was growing I made a thread about being concerned. This is the daughter plant so I knew leaves would turn yellow. That plant did too. Even before it had a single bud on it was light green and people online were expressing concern.
Then it yellowed in early bloom. Yes every leaf on the plant did except leaves around blooms. All those leaves were perfectly and nicely dark green as can be and @bluter told me it would finish so I trusted his word and it did finish great.

Half oz buds.

This plant concerns me because of the pests and the yellowing leaves at the bottom. They are not just yellowing but they have this edge around them that appears to be overwatering or underwatering while it's yellowing while the rest of the plant on top looks super healthy. The mother didn't do that. I expect this plant will yellow too after it has decent flower on it. But that growth that is stunted inside/under the canopy I'd like to know how to avoid that with my four seeds I have left. I'd like to see the potential of this plant

Hell I will send you a seed and you grow it and see if it does the same. šŸ˜†

1 other thing.......about the plant this thread is about. I don't think it stretched much either which is odd.
Normally, before bloom with this strain, there is an explosion of leaf multiplication and growth. It never happened. Or it's happening on a very minor scale.

Yes. It is. And that's why I worry about it.

About my experience with this strain...
This strain I know turns yellow once it has decent bud formation. The last one did it and it concerned me. You know ...the post I made in this thread with the finished pistachio plant sitting on the porch railing? That plant yellowed. ...while it was growing I made a thread about being concerned. This is the daughter plant so I knew leaves would turn yellow. That plant did too. Even before it had a single bud on it was light green and people online were expressing concern.
Then it yellowed in early bloom. Yes every leaf on the plant did except leaves around blooms. All those leaves were perfectly and nicely dark green as can be and @bluter told me it would finish so I trusted his word and it did finish great.

Half oz buds.

This plant concerns me because of the pests and the yellowing leaves at the bottom. They are not just yellowing but they have this edge around them that appears to be overwatering or underwatering while it's yellowing while the rest of the plant on top looks super healthy. The mother didn't do that. I expect this plant will yellow too after it has decent flower on it. But that growth that is stunted inside/under the canopy I'd like to know how to avoid that with my four seeds I have left. I'd like to see the potential of this plant

Hell I will send you a seed and you grow it and see if it does the same. šŸ˜†

1 other thing.......about the plant this thread is about. I don't think it stretched much either which is odd.
Normally, before bloom with this strain, there is an explosion of leaf multiplication and growth. It never happened. Or it's happening on a very minor scale.
Get rid of the bugs, Pronto, what ever it takes.
Feed properly as I suggested and health should improve.
If you have a seed pop in in coco, we can grow it together.
Follow my instructions and without bugs she will be green and Lush. :Namaste:
In the meantime prioritize those bugs.

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž

That's completely normal. A flowering Cannabis plant consumes the leaves that connects directly to the stem in mid flower.
You were speaking in regards to the yellow plant I posted photos of and not the one below that just started budding?

Because the things going on in the photos below don't seem normal to me. But of course I don't think the plant won't produce decent. I just believe it could have been so much better.

It's like the canopy is great but everything underneath the top colas are wilting and I am seeing no bugs today. Only a few in total and I flip out and kill them all with neem oil or onion and garlic. (My house smells like an Italian restaurant now)

But the canopy is exceptional and under those main colas it seems like potential is being wasted. But the last photo is of the leaves showing that all of the leaves on the plants edges are turning yellow already. And that is a bit off.

Why i am probably going to do a single or double plant grow with Bill using those seeds I have left over

20240229_121736.jpg

20240229_121722.jpg

20240229_121727.jpg

20240229_121712.jpg

20240229_121716.jpg

20240229_121658.jpg

20240229_121707.jpg

20240229_121649.jpg

20240229_122025.jpg

20240229_122544.jpg

Showing the progression in a day....

Again...I know the plant yellows. But it didn't yellow like this one is at the bottom first.

The plant is due for bloom booster in two days. It's lighting up but I expect it will get even lighter. It's going to yellow. My issue is the wilting and browning and crumbling leaves.

*But I did get the lady bugs in and man did they go to town on these plants.

That is the last photo. They check buds often. I watch then running around checking under the small leaves that protrude from the buds. Very cool to watch them operate

20240301_115511.jpg

20240301_114532.jpg

20240301_114527.jpg

20240301_114524.jpg

20240301_114521.jpg

20240301_114506.jpg

20240301_112024.jpg

20240301_114635.jpg

Now I'm more worried.

Why is my plant doing this?

It has to be something I'm not doing right or maybe using seeds from a plant you grew yourself just has more issues.

The good looking bud and plant photos are of the top of the plant and the bud sites are all pretty much decent. Under the canopy is horrible.

If the issue with lower branches and leaves keeps moving upward at this rate it's gonna to eventually stunt or kill this plant.

Plant was just given bloom booster today for the first time.

Edit ....last two photos are of the plant in its 7 gal container and the area I let the plant run off shows how much run off water I got from 128 ounces of water.

It's almost like it had too much water in the plant. It may have as I waters it yesterday too. It was just feed day today or I would have skipped a day.

When I do skip a day the bottom is pretty much dry or very slightly damp. So it's drinking. I keep going back and forth if the issue is from over or under watering. If it's either....who knows?
20240303_112633.jpg

20240303_112600.jpg

20240303_112640.jpg

20240303_112629.jpg

20240303_112556.jpg

20240303_110140.jpg

20240303_110024.jpg

20240303_115508.jpg

20240303_115510.jpg

Good morning my friend :adore:
The lower buds and leaves that are curled and odd are called larf.
Small buds below the canopy don't get any light.
She knows that and puts all her energy into the upper and top buds.
Small stuff underneath usually is just removed or used for something other than smoking.
Don't fret about it.
Lower leaves are the the oldest and show more damage usually.
Remember you have bugs, that can cause discoloration issues.
Again nothing to fret about.
The last pic, do you empty the tray when you water every time?
It sits in the run-off, not ideal. :Namaste:
Put a rack or something to raise it out of the water.
Ok your in soil correct?
You have to wait in between water/feed days.
Let it dry for 2-3-4 days until air can get into the roots.
You will drown your roots feeding day after day.
Give her time to breath.
Concentrate on killing the bugs and your watering/feed cycle, give her some air.
And raise that pot.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž

Because the things going on in the photos below don't seem normal to me. But of course I don't think the plant won't produce decent. I just believe it could have been so much better.

But the canopy is exceptional and under those main colas it seems like potential is being wasted. But the last photo is of the leaves showing that all of the leaves on the plants edges are turning yellow already. And that is a bit off.

20240229_121736.jpg

20240229_121722.jpg

The yellow leaf in the first photo is show signs of being about mid-way through a Nitrogen shortage or deficiency. The second photo is showing a leaf that has turned yellow and is drying out. That leaf is in the final stages of a nitrogen deficiency.

Use google or your favorite search engine and enter:
cannabis leaves nitrogen deficiency

and when the results show click on "images" and you should be able to see hundreds of photos of plants and leaves that show the same yellowing leaves and the same signs of yellow leaves turning brown.

Honestly to me it looks like those branches just arenā€™t getting enough light. If theyā€™re the bottom branches on your plants and youā€™re indoors your light probably isnā€™t penetrating far enough to hit those branches down below and they are shrinking up because theyā€™re not doing anything for the plant because theyā€™re not getting enough light

Good morning my friend :adore:
The lower buds and leaves that are curled and odd are called larf.
Small buds below the canopy don't get any light.
She knows that and puts all her energy into the upper and top buds.
Small stuff underneath usually is just removed or used for something other than smoking.
Don't fret about it.
Lower leaves are the the oldest and show more damage usually.
Remember you have bugs, that can cause discoloration issues.
Again nothing to fret about.
The last pic, do you empty the tray when you water every time?
It sits in the run-off, not ideal. :Namaste:
Put a rack or something to raise it out of the water.
Ok your in soil correct?
You have to wait in between water/feed days.
Let it dry for 2-3-4 days until air can get into the roots.
You will drown your roots feeding day after day.
Give her time to breath.
Concentrate on killing the bugs and your watering/feed cycle, give her some air.
And raise that pot.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž
In BX. Not soil.
I never let it sit in run off water.
But I have been watering only 64 oz, but every day for a week. I did that to see how many days it would take to get me to no run off just using 64 ounces. It took 6 days to get barely any run off from just 64 ounces a day.
Now I am letting them go a day and am thinking probably 2 before I start watering again. I know it wasnt over watered during that time but the roots were wet mostly through those 6 days.

I've been told to keep it wet during flowering. Not soaked or sitting in water. In veg I once let the plant go like 4 or 5 days without watering because BX seems strange. The plant looked like it was suffering yet the BX medium seemed wet.
BX is so strange. Roots seem to not pick up nutrients from BX unless you have those roots wet. Damp and the plant wont drink. It wont dry it out. I would estimate that I would have to let that BX sit without watering for over a week for it to be dry 2 and a half inches on the top in a felt pot and it would still seem wet while the bottom of the pot is dry. I think this BX is just confusing for someone who is on their second grow. Not a good medium for someone who just figured out ONE watering method that worked well. I had to change everything.

The mother plant to this one took 2 and a half gallons of water every other day and drank it all. I mean pot was light as can be 2 days later. I had 4 plants going at that time and the other three plants, if I gave them over a gallon they would take 5 days to get light. But that was a different medium than this grow. It was the red bag pro mix. Not BX.
But it makes no sense to me how much water that mother plant required and how little this one seems to need.
I had to give the mother plant at least 5 64 ounce bottles before it would even start to run off. That is how thirsty that plant was. It dried its medium up it would drink so much. BX wont dry out and that makes it dangerous to use. I'm sure it will dry out. But it just takes so long. And you know it acts hydrophobic when completely dry. While damp the plant wont drink. But while wet and soaked it will. I just make sure to empty the run off trays pretty immediate so its not sitting in water.

The big tray you saw is a tray I normally use to set the plants in while I empty their run off trays.
But, that 7 gal pot the pistachio is in gets so heavy after being watered I just put it up on a wire rack(the wire cover for an old fan) and let it drain into the big one. It will fill its run off tray way too fast. So I have to put it on the wire rack over that rectangle tray. The rack was just removed so you could see all that run off in the photo... And that run off is from just 128 ounces of water after giving it 4 tablespoons of bloom booster. Makes me think the plant needs a day or two without watering. But if the felt bag is dry on the bottom I will water it again.

read through this if you haven't yet

the bottom third of any indoor plant is a write off. the light won't reach there and the plant itself does not prioritize it. don't worry about what is going on there. it's only the top 2/3s of the plant that produce anything worth the time. the top third is the real star of the show.

most folk will clear out the bottom third - called lollypopping - to increase air flow and help keep pests away.

it can also help to defol the interior of the plant around this time for the same purpose. i always clear out the smaller branching and some leaves. shoot for around 10% of the top 2/3s with most from the interior. it forces the plant to build the best bud sites.

The yellow leaf in the first photo is show signs of being about mid-way through a Nitrogen shortage or deficiency. The second photo is showing a leaf that has turned yellow and is drying out. That leaf is in the final stages of a nitrogen deficiency.
Click on the "Click to expand" line right above in the quoted part of the message to see which two photos I selected.

In BX. Not soil.
I never let it sit in run off water.
But I have been watering only 64 oz, but every day for a week. I did that to see how many days it would take to get me to no run off just using 64 ounces. It took 6 days to get barely any run off from just 64 ounces a day.
Now I am letting them go a day and am thinking probably 2 before I start watering again. I know it wasnt over watered during that time but the roots were wet mostly through those 6 days.

I've been told to keep it wet during flowering. Not soaked or sitting in water. In veg I once let the plant go like 4 or 5 days without watering because BX seems strange. The plant looked like it was suffering yet the BX medium seemed wet.
BX is so strange. Roots seem to not pick up nutrients from BX unless you have those roots wet. Damp and the plant wont drink. It wont dry it out. I would estimate that I would have to let that BX sit without watering for over a week for it to be dry 2 and a half inches on the top in a felt pot and it would still seem wet while the bottom of the pot is dry. I think this BX is just confusing for someone who is on their second grow. Not a good medium for someone who just figured out ONE watering method that worked well. I had to change everything.

The mother plant to this one took 2 and a half gallons of water every other day and drank it all. I mean pot was light as can be 2 days later. I had 4 plants going at that time and the other three plants, if I gave them over a gallon they would take 5 days to get light. But that was a different medium than this grow. It was the red bag pro mix. Not BX.
But it makes no sense to me how much water that mother plant required and how little this one seems to need.
I had to give the mother plant at least 5 64 ounce bottles before it would even start to run off. That is how thirsty that plant was. It dried its medium up it would drink so much. BX wont dry out and that makes it dangerous to use. I'm sure it will dry out. But it just takes so long. And you know it acts hydrophobic when completely dry. While damp the plant wont drink. But while wet and soaked it will. I just make sure to empty the run off trays pretty immediate so its not sitting in water.

The big tray you saw is a tray I normally use to set the plants in while I empty their run off trays.
But, that 7 gal pot the pistachio is in gets so heavy after being watered I just put it up on a wire rack(the wire cover for an old fan) and let it drain into the big one. It will fill its run off tray way too fast. So I have to put it on the wire rack over that rectangle tray. The rack was just removed so you could see all that run off in the photo... And that run off is from just 128 ounces of water after giving it 4 tablespoons of bloom booster. Makes me think the plant needs a day or two without watering. But if the felt bag is dry on the bottom I will water it again.
My apologies. :Namaste: I should have read back further and checked.
Ignore my previous instructions!
Ill assume it's peat moss & perlite, there's a couple kinds of BX.
I ran bx for a couple years before going coco @Bill284 Method.
I layer perlite for air retention and root health.
But I fed every day full strength nutrients to run-off at 5.8 ph. Just like coco.
My buddy who still runs BX does feed/water/feed/water every day to runoff. At 5.8 ph.
If it dries it repels water " hydrophobic " so it must stay damp.
Check my Heaven's Shores thread.
I have pictorials and explain everything you need for great root growth.

Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž

My apologies. :Namaste: I should have read back further and checked.
Ignore my previous instructions!
Ill assume it's peat moss & perlite, there's a couple kinds of BX.
I ran bx for a couple years before going coco @Bill284 Method.
I layer perlite for air retention and root health.
But I fed every day full strength nutrients to run-off at 5.8 ph. Just like coco.
My buddy who still runs BX does feed/water/feed/water every day to runoff. At 5.8 ph.
If it dries it repels water " hydrophobic " so it must stay damp.
Check my Heaven's Shores thread.
I have pictorials and explain everything you need for great root growth.

Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 šŸ˜Ž
Wanted you to see this since I explained it but didn't show a photo of it.

How I let my plant drain run off because it's run off tray is too small.

I just move it to this tray let it run and then put it back in its drip tray.

20240305_125409.jpg

Honestly to me it looks like those branches just arenā€™t getting enough light. If theyā€™re the bottom branches on your plants and youā€™re indoors your light probably isnā€™t penetrating far enough to hit those branches down below and they are shrinking up because theyā€™re not doing anything for the plant because theyā€™re not getting enough light
I know what you are getting at but when I see leaves that are not getting enough light they appear to be a totally different shade of yellow than those showing signs of Nitrogen deficiency. I have also noticed that they have a different shade of brown at the end when the plant is done with them.

I have a plant that is showing signs of Nitrogen deficiency while in a vegetating stage and another that is in flowering and has heavily shaded leaves at the bottom of the canopy that are now brown and wilted.

I know what you are getting at but when I see leaves that are not getting enough light they appear to be a totally different shade of yellow than those showing signs of Nitrogen deficiency. I have also noticed that they have a different shade of brown at the end when the plant is done with them.

I have a plant that is showing signs of Nitrogen deficiency while in a vegetating stage and another that is in flowering and has heavily shaded leaves at the bottom of the canopy that are now brown and wilted.

Not sure which image youā€™re talking about, I was referencing this one:

IMG_7578.png

Thatā€™s not a deficiency, thatā€™s lack of light. The leaves directly above it also look like theyā€™re not receiving enough light so the plant is taking their nutrients before they drop since theyā€™re not photosynthesizing any more

Thatā€™s not a deficiency, thatā€™s lack of light. The leaves directly above it also look like theyā€™re not receiving enough light so the plant is taking their nutrients before they drop since theyā€™re not photosynthesizing any more
The leaf in that photo above is a different shade of yellow than a leaf that is suffering from a Nitrogen deficiency.

Not sure which image youā€™re talking about, I was referencing this one:

IMG_7578.png

I get that people say lack of light causes this. But I think that may be partially true. I could be wrong here completely. But I have seen plant bud growth that looks exceptional that are clearly covered by leaves so large there is no possibility they were getting any light other than ambient light that may be in the room. They were buried many times and buds still grew on them fully.

But, am I saying this isn't from a lack of light? No. I am saying that this DID NOT happen to its mother plant. Nothing under the canopy turned. It all made it to the top of the plant before wilting and dying. And it was like a big green ball of massively multiplied leaves. You couldn't see through that plant AT ALL. Not even a speck of light through it from one side to the other. So basically everything under the canopy was buried and had no light and yet all of those branches that didn't make it on this plant and its sisters DID make it on the mother plant to the top.

So that leads me to believe that it is partially strain genetics related and light related together. Meaning yes this is probably caused by lack of light... BUT it is caused by lack of light when the strains genetics are not top tier.

Again, I could be wrong. I am just stating the differences between the mother plant and all 3 daughter plants. All 3 did this.

I get that people say lack of light causes this. But I think that may be partially true. I could be wrong here completely. But I have seen plant bud growth that looks exceptional that are clearly covered by leaves so large there is no possibility they were getting any light other than ambient light that may be in the room. They were buried many times and buds still grew on them fully.

But, am I saying this isn't from a lack of light? No. I am saying that this DID NOT happen to its mother plant. Nothing under the canopy turned. It all made it to the top of the plant before wilting and dying. And it was like a big green ball of massively multiplied leaves. You couldn't see through that plant AT ALL. Not even a speck of light through it from one side to the other. So basically everything under the canopy was buried and had no light and yet all of those branches that didn't make it on this plant and its sisters DID make it on the mother plant to the top.

So that leads me to believe that it is partially strain genetics related and light related together. Meaning yes this is probably caused by lack of light... BUT it is caused by lack of light when the strains genetics are not top tier.

Again, I could be wrong. I am just stating the differences between the mother plant and all 3 daughter plants. All 3 did this.

Iā€™m confused by the wording here. Are you saying all of your plants did this or only the one specific one I was referencing?

Thereā€™s a whole lot of variables that can come into play with lighting. Is this the light youā€™re using?

IMG_7599.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom