Buds getting mold in jars even if they are dry - Where should I put them?

Re: Buds getting mold in jars even if they are dry. where should i put them?

I was thinking of doing that but the 8g humidipaks are a little to big for the mouth of my jars. They only fit through the mouth using the shorter side of the humidipak and even then I have to flex the humidipak just a bit to get it to go through..

I thought about taping them to the top of the lids but i have t bend them to fit. Ill proly tape emto thelids today.

I'll probably just place one on the bottom of the jar then add the buds on top. It shouldn't get in the way of burping or grabbing a bud or two and since it is further away from the opening it won't have as much contact with outside air when I remove the lid.

Using a humidity pack may keep more constant moisture levels, but it is unlikely that it will control any fungal growth. The growth of mold is a remarkable thing, and it is entirely probable that even with humidity packs that you may even see some kind of fungus growth. All depends on the concentration of initial spores that are waiting for their chance at life. It could be a not so bad type, like the lint-like one, or it could be one that can wipe out the quality of a crop if gone-unchecked. There is a kind that looks like white little hairy trichomes (although longer elongated structure), that you'd be able to tell it was ruined if you smoked it. Not to mention the dreaded botrytis possibility. I just make sure to check my buds, toss, and burp em as needed. Basically I disagree with that, "if you add one of these packs, problem solved!" because the fungal kingdom is incredibly resilient.

It is possible thatmigh happen but i think the reward is greater then the risk in te aspect of dry bud. Ive gotten about a lb frm my last harvest n cant possibly smoke all of it before they get too dry. The humidity aroundme is about 20-30% on a good day. Ive been curing for about 3 weeks n i jus put the packs in yesterday. Ill continue to burp n check on a regular basis jus to make sure i dont ruin my stash.

I agree that in the early stages of curing you still need to burp and check on a regular basis regardless of the methods used to cure. All these humidipaks do is keep the RH within 1-2% of the stated RH on the package. If you put wet buds in there, they won't stop mold from growing and they are not a panacea for any and all curing related issues/problems. They are just something that keeps cannabis at an ideal RH to make it easier to store your precious harvest for the long term. Any help in that area, especially something as inexpensive as these humidipaks, I'll take any day!

I have seen fungus growing on buds after they have been dried out to way below 62% RH. Like I said, fungus is very resilient, if there is any trace of water, they'll take advantage of it. I grow on the beach, so I constantly battle high humidity scenarios, for me, by adding that boveda pack, I would probably see much more mold growth inside the curing jars than I did, any extra moisture and I'm just going to be feeding a fire. Again, I grow outdoors where many different spores can hitch a ride on a nug come harvest day, unlike some indoor growers who have control of the cleanliness of their environment, so the initial concentration of spores is much less, perhaps these boveda packs are for you! But not for everyone ;)

I have seen fellow growers here doing the bud washings with decent results, and is definitely not a bad idea, however with my proximity to the ocean (about 400 yards), I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that to my entire crop..

Thanks for the food for thought though buddy. :Namaste:

Ive seen ppl wash the whole plant when it is still in flower. They had used some sprays on it and thats the reason they washed it. It was a indoor grow and he just put the pot in the bath tub and turned on the shower. The tap water was ph neutral so that dodnt affect ph levels. They were washed about 1-2 weeks before harvest and rhe smoke was still pretty good. Ive never washed my buds because i never jad to spray while they r in flower.

On another note... I ordered some more boveda packs lol. So far my buds still look good.

I have seen fellow growers here doing the bud washings with decent results, and is definitely not a bad idea, however with my proximity to the ocean (about 400 yards), I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that to my entire crop..

Thanks for the food for thought though buddy. :Namaste:

No problem, you're welcome Relaxed Lester! I also appreciate your input into this moldy matter and while we have little to worry about in the way of humidity here in Colorado, your replies have helped me to understand that I should keep a watchful eye on my harvest well into the cure so that I don't fall prey to these issues, especially after all the time and effort that goes into these grows.

Not sure if this is mold looks like a bursted crystals snowflake through micro scope with clear stems i developed it over a few nugs during curing does this look like mold i will post pics soon

I lost 2 pounds to mold once. The kind of mold that grows on the weed actually enjoys and removes the THC so that stuff is toast. And don't try smoking it just toss it sorry dude. It will mess you up big time. I say get rid of it before it spreads. I didn't and tried to fix it and lost 2 lbs.

I don't know your process but a common cause is the drying process was not completed and they went into curing "wet".

I would dump the bad stuff in a sealed ziplock so it wont spread and then take the rest of the harvest and try drying it another few days to a week before curing it to prevent more of this. And just because this happened I would wash those jars during the upcoming week of drying to get any spores out. What I would not do is assume you have found all of the mold..I wou;d assume given enough time this will happen in other jars unless this one is special or you only have one.

Curing over dried weed is an easy thing to remedy if you want but it is not really necessary. Removing mold form a bud just can't be done.
:sorry:

I figured it was spores its been strange that i have had it only on few nugs out of entire jar which i removed them right away. They were dry going in jar then left open for few hours every 24 they had a great consistency. Now seem to have lost the taste. Using a digital micro will post pics as soon as i can. They almost resemble a trichome that the head is bursted and white. Like i say through the scope i saw maybe 10 on nug. I figured you cant see the mold without a scope, as i have seen in some other photos online that look furry like mold would normally look. Do you think im safe removing what i saw or get rid of entire.

It really pains me to say this...

It always starts as just a few nugs or spots on a nug. Depending on how they were removed there may be spores all over all that sweet bud.

If you only found it in one jar take the stuff with no signs to an isolated area and just dry it the heck out. you might get lucky. TOSS all the moldy stuff.

What I am saying is it is likely that the root cause of this is they were not really ready to get sealed up.

So if that is true then the rest of the jars are likely the same way. Dump them all out in a different area and dry them out. I bet as you do this you start to find mold in other jars.

I have let them dry out nice. i have tossed all stuff i saw. I used new jars the rest looks good. Do you think its safe if i physically cannot see any thing. I will keep a eye out for other jars im keeping fingers crossed

I just get seriously paranoid and scared about this one as I have had major heartbreak over it and it wasn't even my fault. I had a perpetual of 40+ going and was given very short time to get out of the location. I killed most of the plants. The blooming ones I gave to a buddy who had 2 grow houses going in Oakland. The stuff that was drying I bagged up and moved. Before I realized it I lost 2 lbs.

So I get heart achy about this one. I go overboard. I wouldn't care about cure anymore personally I would dry the heck out of it.

But your plan sounds good. But check it daily and if you see anything at all I told ya so bro.

:peace:

Folks, don't mess with mold of any kind. Inhaling mold sores can kill you. If your customers are allergic, they could end up with respiratory failure. Assume that there are microscopic spores in the whole jar if you see ANY visible fruiting bodies. You toss the whole loaf of moldy bread, do you not? You cannot clean all the mold from anything you are going to smoke or ingest.

One way to help the drying process along is to put the bud into the freezer after the initial dry to let the rest of the moisture sublime out of the buds. Give them at least a week, THEN jar them. This is called the freezer cure. You may still need to burp your jars, but not so often, and maybe not at all.

As others have said, it is far easier to over-dry the bud, then jar them with a Boveda 62, and let the product bring the RH back up, than to try and cure buds that are still too moist.

BTW, I put my jarred buds in the back of my refrigerator for at least 2 months to slow down the curing process even more. I get some excellent product, according to my family members who smoke.

Back
Top Bottom