Cannapot Sponsored Grow: Bushman's & Amnesia F2 Regulars, By Emilya

Still no more new ones, from either camp. The present numbers are 6 Bushmans and 5 Amnesias, and if that is what we have, that will be fine. I can work with these numbers. Remember, all that I can take into bloom are 7 females so some of these plants will be males and some will just have to be culled. Time will tell, but I am reasonably confident that I can get to 7 more females out of this group. Now we veg up for a bit, and see who is worthy of moving up to 1 gallon containers after a couple of weeks.

By the way, I haven't given up on the seeds yet... but with each passing day I become less hopeful. I am still watering twice a day, for now.

No new seeds are up, and after tomorrow it is not clear if they will be able to get the twice a day water treatment... I may have to leave town for a few days. I have helpers who can come in and water every day or so, so everyone up will be fine.

Here are the plants we have on the table...

5 Amnesia

DSCF9949.JPG

6 Bushmans

DSCF9948.JPG

Here is an update on our seedlings. The Bushmans are definitely the most vigorous of the group and it is going to be fun watching how fast these landrace seeds will grow all through veg and bloom... the Amnesias are a little bit more picky and definitely growing slower. There is one Amnesia in the middle of the tray that came up as a j-rooted plant and had to be replanted and convinced to grow correctly. She has been taking her time and it definitely the runt of the group, but holding her own in the center of the tray.

Bushmans
DSCF9972.JPG

Amnesia
DSCF9973.JPG

As of today I have given up on our little runt Amnesia, the one who put her roots out above the ground before she came... a classic j-root. I have tried nursing her back into regular growth and I thought until now that she had a chance, but today the leaves have started to turn and she is showing the signs of extreme starvation via root damage. It is what it is... we are down to 4 amnesia's and praying for 3 females and 1 male. It might not be on this round, but we will eventually make Amnesia F2 sing once we get some more seeds to play with.

DSCF0006.JPG

The Bushmans are doing great and speeding along... soon they will need to graduate to 1 gallon containers.

DSCF0005.JPG

Hi Everyone! We are going to start another grow journal, this time with some regular seeds from @CannaPot. Both sets of regular seeds are going to be very exciting additions to my collection, one a legendary cross, bred to itself to open up the genetics and give good possibilities of seeing some amazing classic phenotypes, and the other a legendary S. African landrace, probably able to be bred with anything else in my collection to produce amazing new phenotypes. Seeds of this quality will breathe new life into an old seed collection and I can't wait to see some of the combinations I will come up over the next few years, such as White Widow crossed with them and making White Bushman and White Amnesia. Oh my goodness has this opportunity opened up some amazing possibilities in my garden!

So, I have 5 plants going so far and have legal room in my garden for 7 more blooming on this round. To reach that goal I have started 7 seeds of each of these strains. They are in water now and should be planted in some good soil in solo cups within the next day or so. Males of each variety will be harvested for their pollen, and that pollen will be used several times. First we will make F1 seeds from each of these varieties and I will probably also cross each to the LSD indica dominants that I now have growing beside them on this round. Unused pollen will be carefully preserved in my freezer for my next round in the Spring when many more possibilities will present themselves for cross pollination. It has been my experience that just about anything crossed with a landrace ends up being amazing, and I am going to go for it! We will see... we most definitely will see.

I plan on creating some very large plants by using multiple topping techniques and successive uppotting over the next 2 months. The plants will be grown organically using @GeoFlora Nutrients and will be supplemented by using @DYNOMYCO, soil activator, silica, Terpinator and my special dandelion fermentation of super nutrients. Other than adding soil activator, the soil is simply broken up rootballs from previous grows, with all the layers of Fox Farm soils, Supersoil and compost mixed together. Other than the big hard roots, no attempts were made to rid this soil of the old roots, and the soil was not baked in my oven to kill any bugs larvae that may still be in the soil, because @Sierra Natural Science has shown me that their natural product SNS 209 used as a preventative with each watering can make the plants totally unpalatable to gnats and other pests.

Last night the seeds had all sunk, cracked open and were starting to send out tails. I would bet that by this evening I will be ready to plant most of those seeds into soil, pointy end down, roots up, about 1/2 inch down. This method results in about 98% of the seeds reaching the surface.

DSCF9803.JPG

Here is some more information and some pictures of the varieties we are growing in this sponsored journal:

Bushman's
bushmans-ape-origin-hanfsamen-sativa-indoor-outdoor.jpg

Bushmans is a pure Sativa from the South African Highlands - from Ciskei! Recommended for indoor- and outdoor growers! This strain has a very great smell that reminds one of liqueur with a touch of vanilla! It has an amazingly short bloom time of 45-48 days that has me almost giddy with excitement!

Amnesia F2
amnesia-f2-pure-regular-seeds-hypro-marijuanaseeds.jpg
1629564379788.png

This creation is based on the original high end-Sativa created by Hypro-Seeds. It is easy to grow, the smell is really unique and cannot be compared to any other cannabis strain - sweet liquorice combined with lemons and limes, absolutely delicious! Amnesia is a fantastic mostly Sativa with an unparalleled addiction - the aroma is unique and combines the wonderful indicagenetics of the Afghan with the soaring sativa Nevilles Haze!

I am excited to be able to grow out both of these varieties and thank you to @CannaPot for offering them to a lucky couple of members of this board to grow out. They have been advertising these seeds on this site for a bit, and now I am proud to be able to grow some of them out so that all the members can see what I will be able to do with these rare REGULAR seeds, especially the super fast running pure sativa. This is a real opportunity friends... please do not miss out on it.

So here we go... the grow has officially started. It is soon going to get very busy around here. This journal will concentrate on these two varieties only, and all the crossing with other strains will go to my veg room journal so we can keep all that confusion in a separate place. Please wish me luck! I hope this grow to be epic!
Wow good luck @Emilya no pressure lol. Just kidding. I can’t wait to watch and learn! Anything with Afghan in it is at the top of my list. Once my bank of seeds gets low or I get bored my very next seed purchase will be for an Afghan variety! Yum!

Everything is ok, I was in the middle of a large harvest since my last update and we have let these guys go mostly on autopilot since then. I did come in and water yesterday, and I should have fed them too, but I will make sure that happens on the next watering. I have basically been waiting for the plants to be able to use all of their water in these new containers and I literally have not done a thing to them for the better part of a week. In the meantime, they have all been busy, and all but 1 had shoved up node number 5 and needed to be topped... the last one of the bunch will probably be topped tomorrow.

Now that they are in their second watering since the transplant, they should get going with things, especially after I fertilize in a day or two. The Bushmans are going to be some short plants and the Amnesia are not. This will definitely be interesting once we get to bloom.

The silly j-rooted plant is still hanging on and I keep watering it, but it is seriously behind, just now putting out its 2nd set of leaves, and I am still not at all convinced that it has any roots all the way to the bottom yet. We will see what happens... its probably male anyway.

DSCF0059.JPG

:popcorn:

It's looking great, @Emilya. You got a whole bunch of those puppies going. I'm looking forward to see your babies grow.
I'm about to start some Bushmans soon, too, but I haven't decided how many yet. I think I'll germinate 3 seeds, but I only plan to keep one female.

I love that you're going to grow the males as well and use for breeding. When you grow that many plants, how do you stop accidental pollution? Do you put the males in a separate grow room and filter the exhausts? I have no experience with males.

It's looking great, @Emilya. You got a whole bunch of those puppies going. I'm looking forward to see your babies grow.
I'm about to start some Bushmans soon, too, but I haven't decided how many yet. I think I'll germinate 3 seeds, but I only plan to keep one female.

I love that you're going to grow the males as well and use for breeding. When you grow that many plants, how do you stop accidental pollution? Do you put the males in a separate grow room and filter the exhausts? I have no experience with males.
This is the joy of photoperiod regulars... to be able to create your own seeds in order to preserve that line in your garden. Dealing with the males is not as hard as you are imagining, because they only become dangerous for a small period of time. Generally the males grow a little faster, and they mature faster than the females.

The males will show themselves first usually and if I have several males in each group I will wait until they actually start producing (or about to) the male flowers, somewhere around the 5th week of the grow. Within a week, the males will start becoming dangerous, able to open up one of their tiny flowers as quickly as overnight, spewing pollen when the flower literally pops open. So when they start showing multiple male flower sites, it is time to get them away from the females and I will move them totally away from the grow rooms, downstairs to my back mud room that leads out to the back porch. When it becomes clear that enough pollen is being produced that I can collect a half gram or so of the yellow powder, I will bring producing branches into a quiet room (air movement wise) and will carefully shake the pollen out onto a paper plate, and then save it in a pill bottle with a desiccant pack for later use. This pollen will be placed into the fridge for a few weeks until I need it and the male plants will then be executed with their bodies placed into the compost pile.

The girls upstairs will continue to prepare for bloom as if none of this was going on around them. Later, about 1 week into actual bloom (about 2 weeks from the flip) I will bring one girl at a time downstairs to the mud room of love, and carefully with a watercolor paintbrush, I will physically move some of the pollen onto a few of the newly flowering buds, typically the end bud of a branch, and then I will label that branch in some way, like with a colored twisty tie, so that I don't lose track of which have been pollinated. After watching for a day for this to take, I will spray down the female plant to wash any remaining pollen that may have fallen or just floated through the air onto her leaves, so that she does not pollinate any of her sisters when we move her back upstairs. These pollinated branches only will then produce seeds. It is very possible to pollinate a single plant with several types of male pollen, each branch developing its own special hybrid of seeds, but in this case we are going to keep the genetics intact and will not be cross pollinating. Each bud that has been pollinated will generally produce around 250 seeds and by pollinating 3 buds on each plant I will end up with enough seeds to supply my garden for many years to come. If I put a male and female plant in a room together for a few days and just let them do the whole pollinating the entire plant thing, I would end up with thousands of seeds, way more than I need, and one whole plant that only produced B quality pot instead of Sensimilla. By selecting out individual buds to pollinate, we get the best of both worlds... seeds and great product, from the same plant.

This is the joy of photoperiod regulars... to be able to create your own seeds in order to preserve that line in your garden. Dealing with the males is not as hard as you are imagining, because they only become dangerous for a small period of time. Generally the males grow a little faster, and they mature faster than the females.

The males will show themselves first usually and if I have several males in each group I will wait until they actually start producing (or about to) the male flowers, somewhere around the 5th week of the grow. Within a week, the males will start becoming dangerous, able to open up one of their tiny flowers as quickly as overnight, spewing pollen when the flower literally pops open. So when they start showing multiple male flower sites, it is time to get them away from the females and I will move them totally away from the grow rooms, downstairs to my back mud room that leads out to the back porch. When it becomes clear that enough pollen is being produced that I can collect a half gram or so of the yellow powder, I will bring producing branches into a quiet room (air movement wise) and will carefully shake the pollen out onto a paper plate, and then save it in a pill bottle with a desiccant pack for later use. This pollen will be placed into the fridge for a few weeks until I need it and the male plants will then be executed with their bodies placed into the compost pile.

The girls upstairs will continue to prepare for bloom as if none of this was going on around them. Later, about 1 week into actual bloom (about 2 weeks from the flip) I will bring one girl at a time downstairs to the mud room of love, and carefully with a watercolor paintbrush, I will physically move some of the pollen onto a few of the newly flowering buds, typically the end bud of a branch, and then I will label that branch in some way, like with a colored twisty tie, so that I don't lose track of which have been pollinated. After watching for a day for this to take, I will spray down the female plant to wash any remaining pollen that may have fallen or just floated through the air onto her leaves, so that she does not pollinate any of her sisters when we move her back upstairs. These pollinated branches only will then produce seeds. It is very possible to pollinate a single plant with several types of male pollen, each branch developing its own special hybrid of seeds, but in this case we are going to keep the genetics intact and will not be cross pollinating. Each bud that has been pollinated will generally produce around 250 seeds and by pollinating 3 buds on each plant I will end up with enough seeds to supply my garden for many years to come. If I put a male and female plant in a room together for a few days and just let them do the whole pollinating the entire plant thing, I would end up with thousands of seeds, way more than I need, and one whole plant that only produced B quality pot instead of Sensimilla. By selecting out individual buds to pollinate, we get the best of both worlds... seeds and great product, from the same plant.
It seems you know what you're doing :thumb:

Length of Grow - 40 days
Geoflora time between feedings - 0 days
Time since last watering - 0 days

Today was feeding and watering day for all the plants in the room. They range in size from a little j-rooted survivor that is just putting out its third set of leaves and still in its solo cup all the way to the aggressive Bushmans, the earliest that were up 40 days ago. They are not all that far from each other size wise, excluding Ms. J-root, but these two different varieties are definitely going to have different types of structure. The Bushmans are extremely short Indica looking plants, the Amnesias are not.

I am trying to get them all topped as the 5th node rises up, so all but one has had this first cut already. This has accelerated the bottom growth, and suddenly we have plants so bushy it is becoming hard to water them. They will stretch out a bit as they mature, so I am not worried about them being too short at the moment.

I made a lighting change too... I have changed out the T5HO LED refurb light in Veg Room #1 with my MarsHydro SP-3000 with its decent 3x4 veg footprint. I have lowered it down to 18" and turned down its intensity to 75%.

So here they all are, just after feeding and watering... tomorrow or the next day, I expect a growth spurt.

DSCF0066.JPG
DSCF0065.JPG

DSCF0066.JPG

I'm in. Looking forward to seeing how you integrate your dandelion extracts with the Geoflora.
Thank you for that reminder! I am going to start integrating it in today, when I get home and do my watering for the day. I have some aged fermented dandelion extract ready to go and I will start to introduce it to my young vegging plants at 1 tablespoon per gallon. I am already adding the SNS 209 to each watering, and now I will also add the dandelion. The goal of this grow is to beat the yield of the last grow by a significant amount while using the same soil, base nutrient and container size progression and quite possibly the micronutrients in the dandelion extract will help this to happen over the long term.

Thank you for that reminder! I am going to start integrating it in today, when I get home and do my watering for the day. I have some aged fermented dandelion extract ready to go and I will start to introduce it to my young vegging plants at 1 tablespoon per gallon. I am already adding the SNS 209 to each watering, and now I will also add the dandelion. The goal of this grow is to beat the yield of the last grow by a significant amount while using the same soil, base nutrient and container size progression and quite possibly the micronutrients in the dandelion extract will help this to happen over the long term.
Master Cho from Korea recommends a 1:500 to 1:1000 dilution for the sugar ferments and more dilute as the product ages. You'll be at 1:250 which is considered quite "robust" so keep an eye out for any negative effects.

Master Cho from Korea recommends a 1:500 to 1:1000 dilution for the sugar fferments and more dilute as the product ages. You'll be at 1:250 which is considered quite "robust" so keep an eye out for any negative effects.
I wondered about that, and anyone named Master needs to be taken very seriously. I think based on that alone, I will start out at 1 tsp / gallon. The stuff even smells powerful. I just got home from work and will be doing this very soon.

There are two Master Cho's, a father and a son. The father started the Korean Natural Farming (KNF) movement with sugar ferments and leaf mold microbe multiplying, and the son took it in a different direction with water and leaf mold ferments and called it Jadam which means something in Korean.

Pretty interesting stuff, this natural farming... :green_heart:

Length of Grow - 42 days
Geoflora time between feedings - 4 days
Time since last watering - 4 days

I did the deed for the larger plants in veg room #2, but it was not yet time to water the smaller plants here in Veg Room #1 and represented in this grow journal. I used an empty 1 gallon milk jug to mix in, and made up a gallon of smart water, including 1/2 tablespoon (8ml) of SNS 209 and 1 teaspoon of the very fragrant thick dark dandelion extract. The same mix will be used here in a couple of days in this room. We are still on a fairly long wet/dry cycle over here and this cycle they are probably going to go 6 days between waterings.

They have been using their time productively, and several of the plants needed another trim today. The Bushmans are spreading out remarkably well all by themselves, almost approximating a mainlining grow, as if they know instinctively what shape I wish them to take. No signs of sex have been given yet, and I expect that to start on this next watering cycle and if not, I will force it with 4 or 5 days of 12/12 light.

DSCF0073.JPG
DSCF0072.JPG

The Amnesias are definitely going to be taller, and one very precocious plant isn't even trying to hide it... as tall as it has become it surely is a male and probably my strongest male of that group. Also note how rapidly the color is returning to the leaves.

DSCF0070.JPG

It needs to be noted the rapid and dramatic effect the @GeoFlora Nutrients have had in the last 4 days. Much of the color is coming back to the leaves that on the last update were complaining loudly and a comparison of pictures from then with now is very illustrative of the power in this organic nutrient line.

DSCF0071.JPG

Also to be noted is that the last application of @GeoFlora Nutrients seems to have gotten our little straggler Amnesia to get going, and now it is clear that she is going to make it, albeit way behind her siblings. If she is serious about this recovery, we will give her a chance and as long as we have room, she will find a place in the bloom room later on.

DSCF0074.JPG

Back
Top Bottom