Cap'n Style - New Seed - New Nutes - Same Set Up

go4snypr

Good day all. I figured I would start a new journal on my Capn' Style grow. It has been a year since I have done a journal but have had great success with this style of growing since then. The reason for the new journal is that I have been given some tester nutrients from a new hydro store that I checked out yesterday. The brand is called "Jakes" I have never heard of it before, but I am going to set aside my General Hydroponics nutes and give it a go. So as for my set up. In seedling stage my plants are under a single CFL bulb on the corner of my dresser. I only have one plant going from seed and one going from clone. I will only be following the one from seed to see how it does. Once out of seedling stage and into veg it will be placed in the veg room under a 600w MH. After a lengthy veg period it will be then placed into flower under a 1000w HPS bulb.
For those of you not familiar with a "Capn Style" grow, the medium I am in is straight rock wool. The seed is started in a starter cube and then moved to a pot that is full of rock wool crutons. In veg the plant will be top fed with the excess water going to waste. In flower the plant will be on a "res" system where the plant will be fed twice a day from a drip ring for 15 mins and the water is recycled back to the res and re-used. The plants will be trained to grow out and not up. I will be bending and topping to get the plant to reach about 3 feet across before it will be put into flower. Once in flower the plant will be put under a screen and we are trying to reach a minimum of 1lb of sweet sweet cannabis.
I will have pictures posted as soon as possible. all input and questions are welcome!! If you want a quick run down, check the link in my signature to check out my first Capn style grow.

Missed the first grow around but I got front row for this one. Thanks G4S.

Well, I had a busy Christmas and have not had time to update. The seed popped and is sticking out of the rock wool. Looks like bad genetics maybe, there is only 1 leaf sticking out but it is getting bigger. I will take some photos with my phone later today. Hope everyone had a good holiday!! : )

Well, I am behind on taking photos. My camera on my cell phone is all scratched but here is a pic. Sorry the pic is sideways, forgot to change my camera angle. As you can see, I have one really large leaf, and now it seems to be straightening itself out. So far all I have been giving it is "root" and "florablend" with the R.O water. If growth straightens out, I will start a regular feeding schedule in the next week or two.
20160106_203447.jpg

well, here I am a couple of weeks later, I have seen very slow growth on this plant, I am almost ready to give up on it. The roots are not out of the cube yet and for some reason this rock wool cube is molding very badly. Last night I went and cut all of the mold off of the cube leaving about 1/3 of the original cube and there is next to no root development inside. I am going to give it another week but if there is no improvement this experiment will be in the trash. At this point I cannot give any sort of review on the new line of nutes as I have not given anything but 'root" to the plant. On a better note, I have started another seed and it has taken off quite nicely. working on second set of leaves and already put into a bigger pot as the roots exploded out the bottom of the cube. At least I will not be too far behind.

Hi Go4. I have a question on rockwool. Without going into all the complications- I've sprouted a few plants in rockwool and am going to grow them in rockwool, in solo cups. I can't be around much so am going to set up an autowatering system. Any recommendations for a watering schedule for the first couple weeks? Maybe every three days to start, or less? I figure I'll kill them if I water too much in the early days. Complications are that I have some other ones in perlite which will have to be watered more often- but maybe I'll set up a separate system for them or something...
Basically- I'm assuming they'll have to be babied a bit till they get a good root system- correct?

You can probably get away with every couple of days, I start mine in the starter block and I don't move them to a bigger pot until I see root sticking out the bottom. Once the roots show I place it in a 4 inch pot, that is where they are at right now, and I water that 4 inch pot every couple of days. I dont know if you have to baby them any more or less than any other style of grow, if I were you I would soak some rock wool in your solo cup and let it sit for a day or two and see how fast it dries out under your lights.

Thanks! That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that...
Just based on my experience with cloning, I find the cubes get overwatered easily, but figured it would only be an issue in the early days.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom