Chem Dog - Capn Style Lightweight Rookie Challenge

To be honest I don’t think I will use an airpot until the final transplant next time. The reason I say this is because I noticed a slight slowdown in growth rate once the roots were air prooned. Capn explains this in the heavyweight challenge thread and he only used the 6 in net pots because they were all he had at the time. He also states that he transplanted early before the roots had a chance to airproon. Air prooning does have it's advantages. One being that once air prooned tiny micro fiber roots will grow out of these airprooned roots creating a nice root ball but at the cost of a slower growth rate. I believe that transplanting often during vegetative growth allows for the root system to build a nice network and is sufficient enough.
:thanks:

Re: AK-47/Chem Dawg Capn Style Lightwieght Rookie Challenge

I agree Tobaki but it is hard to tell exactly how large the root system is after they have become airprooned. Once they reach the air they proon and then begin to grow a network of roots out of the sides of the prooned roots. So the root system might be larger than meets the eye. I transplanted purly based on how much water they were soaking up. Dry within 24hr's? It's time to transplant! :allgood:

The air pruning does force the roots to back build in the media which was what I was hoping to learn when I asked if it would be good to use only air pots. But as you said it does slow overall growth rates down. Capn also mentioned something along the lines of the pruned root tips might possibly develop health concerns as they are like open wounds or something. I hope Capn catches this discussion and shines his wisdom to the subject as my memory is not that well and what he told me would be a great lesson to us all.

I think that if a plant is taking up nutrients effectively and your water schedule is once daily there is little point in letting the roots continue beyond where these were.

The quantity of media simply can't hold a sufficient measure of nutrients and moisture.

DRM Ranch

The air pruning does force the roots to back build in the media which was what I was hoping to learn when I asked if it would be good to use only air pots. But as you said it does slow overall growth rates down. Capn also mentioned something along the lines of the pruned root tips might possibly develop health concerns as they are like open wounds or something. I hope Capn catches this discussion and shines his wisdom to the subject as my memory is not that well and what he told me would be a great lesson to us all.

Yes you guys have it correct. I don't use the air pot until the last pot, because I don't want the roots to prune, until flower. We see people make this mistake often, especially with seedings and freshly rooted clones. New roots shoot out of a 2" rockwool block and then all of a sudden they have to stop growing. Now you have a dead part of a root sticking out, and that root deteriorates, and new roots grow up against it when you transplant. Health concerns.

Looking great LumenNation.

Here are my beautiful Chem Ladies on 10/7/14 (26 days veg)

This was just before transplant from #1 to #2 pots. From now on I will refer to these girls as Chem #1 and Chem #2 respectively. At this point I have topped/tiped a few times. The first initial one then I topped the 2 mains it produced. After the canapé caught up and evened out I topped all the side shoots now reaching the top canopy. I can’t remember exactly but I think it was a total of 6 tips/tops each.

20141007_222713.jpg

CHEM #1

20141007_222741.jpg

CHEM #2

20141007_222746.jpg

CHEM #1

20141008_203212.jpg

CHEM #2

20141008_202956.jpg

I think I may have jumped the gun on this one, what do you think? In my opionion I could have gone anouther few days in the #1's. What do you guys think I would love some input. Capn what do you think? I would love to here from the guru on this subject as well.
:Namaste:

Here are the ladies after transplant.

20141008_232849.jpg

All hooked back up!

20141008_232834.jpg

These girls are going to be to large for one tote soon!

I think you could've waited to transplant another week or so for more dense root development and circling.

I think I may have jumped the gun on this one, what do you think? In my opionion I could have gone anouther few days in the #1's. What do you guys think I would love some input. Capn what do you think? I would love to here from the guru on this subject as well.

Just a deck hand here,

I would let them go longer.
I made the mistake of going from a 3.5 gallon air pot to its final home in 11 gallons,bad Idea.the rootball wouldn't hold together,This was the only time I have had one explode.

10 days
DSC071641.JPG

20 days,Capn,has mentioned anywhere from 17 days on up would suffice
DSC071672.JPG

I think your right as well. It was hard for me to tell at this point because Im watering twice a day and I no longer could go by wieght. I should have just kept it to 1 feeding a day until they were dry within 24 hours then transplanted. Next time I wont go to 2 feedings a day untill its a must do situation. Such as when in flower and I dont have the choice of transplanting because of the scrog (screen of green).

its taken me 18 months,with all my notes to be-able to go by days on the calendar.

I will tell you made a great choice in this system,I swapped out everything when i stumbled onto this genius(Cap'n) Soil,dwc,rdwc gone from my world.the automation is what sold me,the yields are whats kept me

You got a fish on,man.strap into the chair,its gonna get fun

c526 I agree man. Soil was my forte before I stummbled upon one of Capn's threads. It first started with Rockwool because I started using some inorganic nutrients on some of my soil plants called cogo's original. A friend of mine turned me onto it becuase it's a 1 part nute sepcially formulated for cannabis. Veg through flower and at 5.5ml per gallon for veg and 7.5 for flower and 13.5 to finish her off the savings compared to all the organic products I was using was uncommparable. Though I was very strick about using only organic products this one seemed to catch my eye because it was simple, it was only one bottle, and it worked very well. Pluss it has no fillers like other nutrient lines do. It's completly water soulable even in cold water and remains in a full ionic form. It contains 100% plant food and nothing ells. Anouther bennifit to it was that it is not a huge company and a friend of mine knows the owner so I was able to chat directly with him about his product. So what I was getting to was I asked him what he recomends be used as a medium with his product. He told me anything but he uses rockwool because its clean and and professional. So I started looking into rockwool and came across Capn and the rest is history. So far so good and it looks like I wont be looking back :)

Cogos.jpg

When you flip them over and pop the pots off, if you don't like the root development or think they can go some more days, just put them right back in for a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom