Caterpillars? Not today my beautiful flying worms, not today

The LA Pop Rocks smelled wonderful! Kinda like Juicy Fruit gum. Hoping that aroma returns in cure. The two Wedding Cake do not smell as nice but they smell good. I think it's called wedding cake because the trichomes are like frosting.

I checked the wedding cake plants over pretty good and I'm not seeing any rot. I think the pop rocks got it because they were in flower / not flower / flower for months - since June 4th. Also saw some remnants of a bug inside one - maybe a termite? The buds were much denser with some as large as a beer can. I had to trash them due to black gunk in the center. Totally bummed but no biggie.

Debating wether to toss any remaining LAPR buds that have brown in the center. What do you think?
I'd be afraid of the brown centers GB. Got a pic?

Debating wether to toss any remaining LAPR buds that have brown in the center. What do you think?
That's a tough call, but I'm usually in the "better safe than sorry" camp. The green outter portions look ok, but I would toss out those brown/grey centers.

That's a tough call, but I'm usually in the "better safe than sorry" camp. The green outter portions look ok, but I would toss out those brown/grey centers.
I’m with you, Beez. I’ve already discarded about an ounce an a half of the biggest chunkiest buds. I’ve got about an ounce of smaller buds in jars - they look ok. Still two bags in the fridge that are drying that I’m a little concerned about. I’ve been washing the trimmers with rubbing alcohol regularly. Hoping the cancer does not spread.

Thinking about how I got here. I don’t believe the netting contributed. Pop Rocks was smaller and chunkier than the two wedding cake. The WC were always thirsty in the heat of summer, but I may have over watered the PR.

Note to self: bigger is not necessarily better.
A few pics of the infected buds.

About an ounce and a half is trash. The rest is jarred up and curing. About 2 ounces that is salvageable. Anything that looks infected will be tossed.
:confused:

I chopped Wedding Cake 2 today. About 20% amber on the top buds. I'll chop her sister in about a week. Let her amber up a bit more.

Did a 4 bucket wash and bagged up into the fridge for dry.

Ended up with 537 grams total. And thats after my buddy convinced me to just trim all very close. Should end up with about 4 ounces after cure.

The top cola was x-large!

Everything looked REALLY good! We saw one tiny bug (dead). No pm or bud rot at all but I washed first bucket HP just in case.

Already planning on using netting again next grow. I would call it a success!

Great job on getting her to harvest... and without PM or bug damage! :high-five:

Congratulations on that one! She's a beauty :love:
Thanks SO!
Great job on getting her to harvest... and without PM or bug damage! :high-five:
Thanks Beez!

So during trimming I realized the top buds were ready but the lower and inside buds still had a bit to go. I need to learn patience. We sampled a bud that had been drying for a week and it hits in all the right ways. I’ll let #1 continue for at least another week maybe two. I gave her nutes this morning. I also pulled away a few buds that were sitting tight to the colas (if that makes sense). They were not getting much direct sunlight.

These plants were just a bit weird. Probably due to going back into veg.

Thanks SO!

Thanks Beez!

So during trimming I realized the top buds were ready but the lower and inside buds still had a bit to go. I need to learn patience. We sampled a bud that had been drying for a week and it hits in all the right ways. I’ll let #1 continue for at least another week maybe two. I gave her nutes this morning. I also pulled away a few buds that were sitting tight to the colas (if that makes sense). They were not getting much direct sunlight.

These plants were just a bit weird. Probably due to going back into veg.
Picking them at just the right moment takes experience GB. Next one!

Holy Smokes!

LA Pop Rocks has been in jars for 11 days. Hydrometer says 57% RH but it sure feels like 68%. Not dry in any sense. Sticky. That fruity aroma is coming back! Yesterday was a little grassy - today is way more fruity / stinky! I just rolled a joint to sample. It was still just a little moist but smokeable. Slightly harsh - to be expected, but a wonderful flavor profile is emerging. Sweet, fruity, yet spicy / citrusy.
It really hits the spot!
Not too stony at all. Very enjoyable, uplifting. Relaxing yet I can still function. I LIKE it!

Oh man I cannot wait for this to fully cure!

Holy Smokes!

LA Pop Rocks has been in jars for 11 days. Hydrometer says 57% RH but it sure feels like 68%. Not dry in any sense. Sticky. That fruity aroma is coming back! Yesterday was a little grassy - today is way more fruity / stinky! I just rolled a joint to sample. It was still just a little moist but smokeable. Slightly harsh - to be expected, but a wonderful flavor profile is emerging. Sweet, fruity, yet spicy / citrusy.
It really hits the spot!
Not too stony at all. Very enjoyable, uplifting. Relaxing yet I can still function. I LIKE it!

Oh man I cannot wait for this to fully cure!
Love that! Better and better!

I have one plant left - Wedding Cake #1. Was planning on harvesting Friday or Saturday. Temps have been down into the high 40's and I think I have some problems. MANY buds look wilted and dying.

At first I thought I have them damn caterpillars but I'm not seeing any other symptoms.
I do see one pest. Not sure what this is but he is sneaky - he moves quickly to the other side of branch to hide. Hoping he is eating smaller critters.

Could the cold cause this bud damage? Can I salvage the rest or is she trash now?

Carefully remove all the rotten budlets if you can. I use my trimming scissors. This is the time of year to see it. It comes fast. See what's left after you trim it out. Then look tomorrow. They're may be more. Or maybe it's time?
Looking at trichomes she's very close. I don't think the bud damage is from caterpillars. I'm thinking cold. Almost overnight several bud tips look dead. I mean dry and crumbling dead. I had caterpillars BAD last year. This looks different.

Sounds like bud rot GB. If left alone it infects the next nug on the bud and so on until there's no more bud. I had to take down my girl this year or lose her to rot. probably lost 30 to 50%. It can accelerate so keep your eye on it and do get to cutting it out to help prevent more infection. How about a pic?

Back
Top Bottom