Caterpillars? Not today my beautiful flying worms, not today

I can't really see a big problem by looking at the pictures... maybe the last pics shows some slight wilting of sugar leaves. Like Stone suggested, if it's bud rot get to it early. I've had a couple buds affected on one of my plants this year as well. Bud rot will look just like caterpillar damage minus the caterpillars and poop.

If it's just the tips of your sugar leaves turning brown and crispy, it may just be due to nutrient burn. Bot rot will start with wilting of leaves and the entire area around it.

Hi GB! So sorry you dealt with all this rot and hot weather trying to get then finished up!!
Congratulations on your harvest and sticky fruity smoke!!! Better luck with the elements next time for sure!!

If it's just the tips of your sugar leaves turning brown and crispy, it may just be due to nutrient burn. Bot rot will start with wilting of leaves and the entire area around it.
Thanks Beez! I’ll post more pics in a bit.

Hi GB! So sorry you dealt with all this rot and hot weather trying to get then finished up!!
Congratulations on your harvest and sticky fruity smoke!!! Better luck with the elements next time for sure!!
Thanks Krissi! It is unusually cold this week and I grow outdoors. Last year was really hot all thru October.

Thanks Krissi! It is unusually cold this week and I grow outdoors. Last year was really hot all thru October.
That's what I have now, 80 degrees...hate it

Cut into one and see if it's brown inside. Just a suspect nug of a bud. You can cut that nug out if the rest is good. If not brown or otherwise dead looking then you're good.
Hiya Stone!
Yeah I’m wondering what’s going on. Not seeing any worms or brown. Just curling frost leaves. Some are dry and crunchy.
Weird.

The weird thing is all 3 plants went into flower first week of June. I think they went back into veg until August then really started to produce flowers.
Damn Covid. :D

I easily lost a third of my yield to bud rot this summer, maybe more. It doesn't appear to be rotten in your case but it doesn't hurt to look. If you haven't, pull back the bud a bit and have a closer look at the inside of the colas. Dead leaves, droopy leaves, leaves that can be pulled off just by touching them are all indicators. Then there's the more obvious indicators like brown buds, ashy looking buds or white hairy ones. If you do spot some, I'd agree with SO, cut out the bad parts and try to salvage the rest - when it starts to be a daily thing it's worth just culling them early. Sterilize the scissors with some iso after cutting rot out. Sometimes when u cut a bud out, there will still be rot on the stem, rub your iso covered scissors on the moldy stem and sterilize again. Also, when u cut out a piece of rot you usually have to cut a bit extra off. If you didn't take enough off you can usually spot a little speck of brown still inside the bud that needs to be cut as well. It's really easy to miss stuff so there's always budwashing to help neutralize it too.

I'm in the middle of harvesting a plant that's covered in it and it's frustrating a.f... basically all the main colas are garbage and all that's salvageable are the lower buds. It literally happened in the matter of days while I was busy trimming another plant... And this was the one I kept saying had mold resistance lol... It's honestly been an eventful summer and I wasted 6 months on these damn plants. :eye-roll:

edit: Just wanted to say that some of the stuff that is questionable but not quite moldy yet can either be fast dried or tossed into the trim pile and frozen until you make some edibles or something with it. Better that than let it end up in the jars with your better stuff.

I'm in the middle of harvesting a plant that's covered in it and it's frustrating a.f... basically all the main colas are garbage and all that's salvageable are the lower buds. It literally happened in the matter of days while I was busy trimming another plant... And this was the one I kept saying had mold resistance lol... It's honestly been an eventful summer and I wasted 6 months on these damn plants. :eye-roll:

edit: Just wanted to say that some of the stuff that is questionable but not quite moldy yet can either be fast dried or tossed into the trim pile and frozen until you make some edibles or something with it. Better that than let it end up in the jars with your better stuff.
Hiya Regrowth!

Sorry to hear you are having issues as well. This year's crop has been very weird.
I'm gonna chop tomorrow and salvage what I can. I suspect I'll have a lot that is questionable and will be made into edibles.

Another tell-tale sign of bud rot is the web-like mold around the stems. Use you 50x trichome loupe to inspect the area. Cut out anything that has the webs/mold. Looks like this:

I easily lost a third of my yield to bud rot this summer, maybe more. It doesn't appear to be rotten in your case but it doesn't hurt to look. If you haven't, pull back the bud a bit and have a closer look at the inside of the colas. Dead leaves, droopy leaves, leaves that can be pulled off just by touching them are all indicators. Then there's the more obvious indicators like brown buds, ashy looking buds or white hairy ones. If you do spot some, I'd agree with SO, cut out the bad parts and try to salvage the rest - when it starts to be a daily thing it's worth just culling them early. Sterilize the scissors with some iso after cutting rot out. Sometimes when u cut a bud out, there will still be rot on the stem, rub your iso covered scissors on the moldy stem and sterilize again. Also, when u cut out a piece of rot you usually have to cut a bit extra off. If you didn't take enough off you can usually spot a little speck of brown still inside the bud that needs to be cut as well. It's really easy to miss stuff so there's always budwashing to help neutralize it too.
I’ve lost my best Coca-Cola from my Shiskaberry so far. I spotted it at prolly 5%, which was lucky so I was able to keep 95% of the bud, but still not at its ideal harvest age. I think I’m 2 weeks off.

I am lucky that I have a small room where I can control the humidity at night. Hopefully I’ll get through it without too much damage. I do watch them like a hawk. It coming into summer here which means hot days and thunderstorms perfect mould spore weather.

Another tell-tale sign of bud rot is the web-like mold around the stems. Use you 50x trichome loupe to inspect the area. Cut out anything that has the webs/mold. Looks like this:
Yikes!
That looks nasty. I’m not seeing anything like that. Just dead / dying frost leaves. Very dry and crumbly. I chopped today and saw a lot of damaged tips. I did 4 buckets wash with hp. Then hung dry for a few hours. Then into bags in the patio fridge. I trimmed like crazy so it should dry quickly- probably ready for jars in 10 days as this fridge removes moisture fast.

I’ve been paying too much attention to Maritimer’s drought experiment and I may have underwatered this week. Yeah I’m a dumbass. Humidity outside has been real low for a few days. Hoping that is the problem and not mold / rot. Will know in a few days.

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate it!

Update from the recent harvest.

LA Pop Rocks was harvested first on 9/17. Lost the biggest chunkiest nugs to bud rot :(. That plant was ALL buds. Very little larf. Been in jars for about a month. Ended up with a little over 2 ounces. Still worried about but rot on some of the larger nugs. Smells a little funky; not quite that sweet aroma prior to harvest. Crossing my fingers.

Harvested Wedding Cake #2 on 10/8. 4 bucket wash and then into the fridge. After 14 days I had to dance around for a few days to get the RH down under 65% - trying not to over dry. Now in jars and looking REALLY good! The nice smell is coming around for sure! Close to 4 oz in jars. This one looks to be my best effort yet.

Wedding Cake #1 was harvested on 10/8. I got cute and decided to let her dry out a bit before harvest. I don't think I'll do that again. She looked droopy and dying; crispy brown bud tips and frost leaves. The weather changed and this one really hated the cold at night (both WC did not like the heat at all). Finicky for sure. I was a little worried about bud rot on this one as well but so far so good. The buds look a little more scraggly compared to the other WC but still some good nugs. No pics of that one yet - still dancing around trying to get the RH under 65%. I'll stabilize at around 65%. Looks to be about 3 oz of decent buds.

Just twisted up a fatty of WC2 and man it tastes great! Very appealing high. The 5 jars curing weighed out to 141 grams (FIVE ounces!) of nice looking buds!

Totally stoked!

Back
Top Bottom