CFL Cardboard Box Grow

Hey angrybird :)
Box growing is a great idea isn't it? So easy to achieve and this site helps every bit more! I wondered if it would work as well, asked a old grow friend he said he couldn't see why not. Can't hurt to try ay? Hope to see you more angrybird :)

Jimdogggy

I have a door that I open for heat and some dark cloth for no light leaks.. duct tape is a goooooood tool :rofl:
btw check this out for after : DIY drying box with odor control

I (way premature I know) went to pick up some cardboard to fix it... duct tape Ooo love it!!!

I have a door that I open for heat and some dark cloth for no light leaks.. duct tape is a goooooood tool :rofl:
btw check this out for after : DIY drying box with odor control

I (way premature I know) went to pick up some cardboard to fix it... duct tape Ooo love it!!!
May be worth looking at fans to pull and push air in your grow box. Temps jump very high with cfl specially once your plants get a bit of hight. Opening and closing the door all the time could be a hassle and light leaks ect. Great idea for a drying box! I've done multiple seasons outdoors (this is my first indoors) and I used to use an old cool box (chilly bin/escy) and chuck it outside in the sun for a day or two. Either that or the hot water cupboard is your best friend. get a rack up in there and you can dry herb quick as quick while having the smell locked in one place!

Jimdogggy

So the girls are in the cupboard now! Box is finished it had a good run but just wasn't doing the trick. Here's a few photos

420-magazine-mobile2051585741.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1510449245.jpg

I do have one concern my new growth is very small and is taking longer then the rest of the grow has. Could that be the new home or they may need potting into bigger pots? No roots are showing yet but still may be time? Light is a little less now that it's in a bigger space but they aren't stretching or anything.
Temps are 15 degrees
Humidity is 60%
Soil pH is 6.5-6.9 between them
420-magazine-mobile1944423012.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2114543408.jpg

Jimdogggy

Well any change needs time. I read somewhere that it can take anything from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on what you do to it/accident happen.
In general the look good.. the little one in the corner look abit down.. but could be close to water/feeding time?

Well any change needs time. I read somewhere that it can take anything from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on what you do to it/accident happen.
In general the look good.. the little one in the corner look abit down.. but could be close to water/feeding time?
I guess you are right it does take time. The one in the corner has always been a sad sap! even taking the seed and putting it into the pot when i sowed them it managed to roll off the table! Tomorrow is water time but I think i may do it this evening just to see if that helps!

Jimdogggy

Hi man,
so after reading through your journal I have decided to jump in to share my thoughts. You are doing great so far, your plants look all vital and promising.
I like the cupboard with car window foil, that's so much better than aluminium foil, but even paper or white paint is better than alu foil. And the dull side of aluminium is more reflective than the shiny one.
As for the fans- I say do not put push-pull fans, rather use them only to pull. If you have small hole near the push fan then the filter will not work as some air can escape. Also make sure your intake hole is as big as the outtake or even bit larger. I've made my own carbon filter for 16 bucks you can check it here. And it works super smooth with 2 quality high CFM (Arctic F12 continuous) 120mm pc fans pulling the air. I've never saved on pc fan cost and I have fans in my PC that are still running silent after 4 years.
In my first grow I used closet as a grow box. I did remove the top shelf in mine as the airflow was bad. I mounted everything on the ceiling using screwable hooks and ropes for light (light on hooks not on the picture) and filter and consoles for my 12V output for fans.
P1070762.JPG

Also, look how much light you lose because you do not have any light reflectors around your bulbs. My cheap suggestion is- buy hard paper bigger one like A3- 420mm x 297mm make cones of it and place it on the cord on your lights. Or do not even make cone, just cut a circle, cut it to middle and put it around your cord, secure with ductape- done.
Hope this helps. Have a good one. :Namaste:

I guess you are right it does take time. The one in the corner has always been a sad sap! even taking the seed and putting it into the pot when i sowed them it managed to roll off the table! Tomorrow is water time but I think i may do it this evening just to see if that helps!

Jimdogggy

So it wanted to give hell for being grown? :rofl: She will be the biggest of all.!!!:circle-of-love:

Hi man,
so after reading through your journal I have decided to jump in to share my thoughts. You are doing great so far, your plants look all vital and promising.
I like the cupboard with car window foil, that's so much better than aluminium foil, but even paper or white paint is better than alu foil. And the dull side of aluminium is more reflective than the shiny one.
As for the fans- I say do not put push-pull fans, rather use them only to pull. If you have small hole near the push fan then the filter will not work as some air can escape. Also make sure your intake hole is as big as the outtake or even bit larger. I've made my own carbon filter for 16 bucks you can check it here. And it works super smooth with 2 quality high CFM (Arctic F12 continuous) 120mm pc fans pulling the air. I've never saved on pc fan cost and I have fans in my PC that are still running silent after 4 years.
In my first grow I used closet as a grow box. I did remove the top shelf in mine as the airflow was bad. I mounted everything on the ceiling using screwable hooks and ropes for light (light on hooks not on the picture) and filter and consoles for my 12V output for fans.
P1070762.JPG

Also, look how much light you lose because you do not have any light reflectors around your bulbs. My cheap suggestion is- buy hard paper bigger one like A3- 420mm x 297mm make cones of it and place it on the cord on your lights. Or do not even make cone, just cut a circle, cut it to middle and put it around your cord, secure with ductape- done.
Hope this helps. Have a good one. :Namaste:
Thanks a bunch for your input. I just red over your filter post and I think I'll look at doing that! Look so easy and affordable. Hope to see you around the post!

Jimdogggy

Quick little snap of the girls and their new environment. Things are still being done to the cupboard so please let me know anymore idea you may have!
There are three 80mm holes in the cupboard now to let air in and out also two fans in the cupboard blowing air up and out.
420-magazine-mobile283053802.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1723053518.jpg

Jimdogggy

Here have a few photos for the morning, final transplantation went very well. plants have bounced back already (four hours later) the last plant has been dragged outside because she couldn't keep up and there wasn't enough room. I'll update her outside as she goes as well (the plant that had a run in with the light ages ago)
hope everyone is well and fairly medicated for the weekend, i know I am!!

Temps are 13-18 degrees celc
Humidity is 60%
Soil pH is at 7 for ALL plants (brand new soil, I put in egg shells, banana peals, sheep shit, phosphorus rocks, fish bone and good old blood and bone nitrogen fert)

420-magazine-mobile431624342.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1780491579.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1594646404.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1551967616.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1851880772.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1022708824.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1923307364.jpg

Jimdogggy

Thanks man, pretty proud for my first indoor. I'm not sure how long to veg them for tho? They are at 31 days today

Jimdogggy

Well, since you don't know what they are.. it is a bit tricky.. but the thinking I would have is : As soon as they are half the size I want them to finish with... I change to flower lights..

Well, since you don't know what they are.. it is a bit tricky.. but the thinking I would have is : As soon as they are half the size I want them to finish with... I change to flower lights..
That was my thinking as well. They are around 1/3 of the cupboard space now. I think at day 40 I'll put them into flower and see what I get. My next grow will be the one i try for a bigger yield. The plan is in time to have enough herb that I can stop buying it all together! I pay between $200-$350 an oz depending on quality and time of year. If I can put that money into growing and have a steady supply ready my goal will be complete :)

Jimdogggy

Back
Top Bottom