Cloning with aloe - Natural and easy cloning for cheap

hey guys, I'm having a hard time getting some strains to root. I've already cut them and have them in their respective pots, been there for at least a week now with no new visible growth. Do you think I can water with aloe and it will help?

In my experience the most important thing is starving the plant for nutrients a little before taking the clones. Do that and you get fast roots no matter the method. If you take a super healthy green plant and cut clones from it they take forever to root. If you starve the plant for a week (that's for hydro - starve longer in soil I guess) until lower leaves start to yellow then they root right away due to the deficiency and their desire to increase roots to find more nutrients.

My last clones were taken using aloe and placed in a rapid rooter over a seedling mat and I experienced the same. They did root but not before some necrotic spots set in. It was also a larger clone though too.

Reading this back I should clarify that I did not soak the cutting in aloe water for 24 hrs as the original instructions stated either. I did however quickly soak the rapid rooter in it.

hey guys, I'm having a hard time getting some strains to root. I've already cut them and have them in their respective pots, been there for at least a week now with no new visible growth. Do you think I can water with aloe and it will help?

Depending on a few variables such as strain, environment, cloning method and such it can take up to two weeks to start seeing some signs. I would give them more then a week for sure but I don't think aloe water will hurt them as long as your mindful with it.

In my experience the most important thing is starving the plant for nutrients a little before taking the clones. Do that and you get fast roots no matter the method. If you take a super healthy green plant and cut clones from it they take forever to root. If you starve the plant for a week (that's for hydro - starve longer in soil I guess) until lower leaves start to yellow then they root right away due to the deficiency and their desire to increase roots to find more nutrients.

That's an interesting observation OG, and one I've not come across before. May I ask how you learned this technique? Just curious. The big problem with trying this in LOS is that there won't be any way to create deficiency or starving because our soil mixes are heavy loaded from the beginning and continuously amended. I'll file that for future reference though. You never know when a tidbit like that will come in handy. Reps.

I have seen it in a few cloning guides here and there not sure where. Seems to be true for me, and it's easy in hydro. I feed them straight water for a week then cut my clones and I have roots in 7-10 days. If I don't then it takes 3 weeks and some rot before rooting...

I did the aloe cloning over and had better results this time around, smaller cut as well. On 5/21 I cut this clone and placed in a cup of aloe water, it stayed in this cup under a dome for almost 48 hours as I didn't get to it right away. On 5/23 I pushed the cut into a chunk of aloe and then into a rapid rooter that was pre-soaked in the aloe water and placed it back under the dome. No misting and I believe I only added water twice. Yesterday was the first sign of roots. That would be 18 days from the actual cut or 16 days from placing in the rapid rooter. Definitely a bit on the slow side but, it is nice and healthy, not one necrotic spot!

IMG_20150608_103501-b.jpg

Well done Smokey. I'm impressed with the lack of necrotic spots. Like you, I would attribute that to the lengthy initial soak in the aloe water. :goodjob:

Ok now. Someone else jump in here and document your own try. I don't clone yet, but will definitely learn in the future. Let's increase the knowledge bank for this method.

Very nice! I'm taking some clones today, third round. I'll try this a few ways...

First round of clones in soil/solos doing great started in bubble cloner. Have some I took around the same time that went directly into soil with rooting powder,, they are alive and growing but not as fast as bubble cloner ones.

Still have one in my window sill that went straight into tap about ten days ago and the roots are coming, slowly, but I'll get a plant from it....

Today, I'm taking the second round from bubbler, and putting them I soil. Which frees up some spots for a few more.

And while I'm at it,, I'll do the aloe method....

I didnt know you can use aloe to root clones.
There is a method I know that works too; you soak a handful of lentils in a glass of water for 48 hrs, untill they start to show roots; theme you save the water, take out all the lentils and break the roots from the seed. You mix the white roots with the water they were sitting on and put it in the blender, then strain and add another glass of water.
It can be used in the same way that you use the Aloe Vera.
Very good to know about this aloe method.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, and good luck.

I didnt know you can use aloe to root clones.
There is a method I know that works too; you soak a handful of lentils in a glass of water for 48 hrs, untill they start to show roots; theme you save the water, take out all the lentils and break the roots from the seed. You mix the white roots with the water they were sitting on and put it in the blender, then strain and add another glass of water.
It can be used in the same way that you use the Aloe Vera.
Very good to know about this aloe method.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, and good luck.

Sounds like a seed sprouted tea your taking about with the lentil.... I'm thinking about a malted barley tea this week maybe I'll drop one in a glass filled with the malted barley...

Have not done the clones yet,, maybe tonight

I've cloned with aloe a few times now. I try to add a bit of kelp meal to my soak water as well. I have a video I posted in the last few pages of my journal with a professional grower going over his cloning process. I posted another of a breeder talking about his process. Sue shared these on her journal as well. Good info and the visual explanation could help some.

I did another clone for testing purposes. This one had a 24 hour soak in the aloe water but was dipped in clonex before being pushed into the aloe water soaked rapid rooter. Figured I'd share the results. Same strain just a little bigger clone. Roots in 10 days from cut or 9 days from rapid rooter. The one below it in the tray was done with aloe 2 days before this one and still has nothing and some fading has set in, different strain but much smaller cut though.

36grow, what average turn arounds are you getting? I am pretty sure I just started following your journal but then some stuff went down and I had to unsubscribe, this was a little bit back, to be clear it was nothing on you at all! You mentioned you use some kelp with the aloe for cloning. I would like to get this down a little quicker, 9 days isn't too bad if that could remain consistent. This time of the year my cloner is running overtime with outside stuff so it doesn't sit in my room for insect fears. I have been using a very slight amount of a humic acid blend in it on hard wood cutting with reasonable success. So I was thinking of incorporating a few tests with the aloe to dial it in... You have to have some thoughts then right? :)

IMG_20150620_105844.jpg

Tried this for the 1st time. I took 14 clones from my mother plant after flushing her and letting her go for 1 week. 2 more that were outside trying to go back into veg. and 2 more that were in flower for 3 weeks. After 14 days most have roots at least 4 inches out of the rockwool. ALL of them are taking root! I used ONLY aloe juice and did not even check PH. I am sold. TX for the heads up on this subject. (all were Pres. kush.

I'm sorry I never replied to this. I just transplanted some clones, and am trying to root some others. My last round rooted in 6 days at the earliest, transplanted at 10-14 days. Those came off my own super healthy outdoor plants. This round came off a friends super unhealthy root bound plants. 1/6 has died off, and only two have shown roots at 10 days. All three this time are sativa. Two of the three were taken from yellow and pale outdoor plants.

I'm no expert in cloning, I normally only do 15-30 at a time, for my friends and I. My area fluctuates a lot in temp and rh depending on weather, and they are much more temperamental compared to a plant already established.

*rooted for me is visible fish bone roots outside the peat pod or rockwool cubes I'm using(and finally ran out of).

10-14 days on transplant appears to be about my average with aloe as well. I have a few things I would like to try yet, just need to get to it. I've been thinking of removing some sucker growth soon and run a comparison on some things, just need to get to it I guess.

Hi everyone I recently started doing some little experiments of my own into cloning with aloe after CO originally posted something about it on one of my threads. Sue reminded me that I should share my results here. Hope they help!

Alright so my first little "experiment" with aloe was with 3 Diesel (from Dinafem) clones taken off a once flowered then revegetated mother plant. I used a cheap tray + dome lid, a small CFL sitting on top, and rockwool cubes as the medium, soaked in rainwater (plus I use rainwater in the tray)

For the 2 clones in the front row, I soaked the rockwool in aloe juice made from 200x concentrated aloe powder. For the one in the back row, I also soaked in that aloe juice but used a name brand cloning gel along with it (Root It from mad farmer). The first to root was the one that got both. And it rooted significantly better in less time (2 weeks), pic below, but the next day, roots showed from an aloe-juice-only clone. (no pic sorry) They were just few and not very developed. The other aloe only clone eventually showed one root but then developed mold and was tossed. Both other clones are now growing outside, doing great.

0718151700c.jpg
0718151703.jpg

0729151844-1.jpg

Moving on, I decided to see if Aloe right from the leaf would do any better, and set up another little experiment in the last couple weeks to see how Aloe held up against Root It. 6 clones, 3 in Aloe gel from the leaf, 3 in Root it. I wanted to preserve 3 different strains, Cheese, White Widow, and Ultrasour, so I took 2 cuts from each, and put one in Aloe and one in Root It. I used the same clone dome set up and rockwool cubes.

I just scooped a healthy amount of Aloe out and pushed it into the hole in the rockwool cubes and also dipped the clones in aloe before sticking it in the cube for those ones, and dipped the others in the Root it then right into a rainwater soaked cube.

0730151022-1.jpg
0730151028-1.jpg
0730151028a-1.jpg

I put the Aloe clones in the front row, Root It in back. At first they were all very stressed from the heat outdoors as I took the cuttings, after an hour or so they perked back up, but the Aloe clones seemed to stand up to the stress better.

0730151049.jpg
0730151332.jpg

Well 12 days went by then the first to show roots 2 days ago was the Aloe-only Cheese clone. That was exciting.

0810150920.jpg
0811150957a.jpg

And today more roots, guess where from... Aloe again! The White Widow that was in Aloe only. Only a couple little ones poking thru but a glad sight for me.

0812151755a-1.jpg

You'll see the rooted Cheese clone front and center here, and the rooted WW clone to its left.

0812151756-1.jpg

I'm very impressed by the aloe results so far, I can grow plenty to use for all my cloning needs. :Namaste: Will let you guys know how the clones end up! :)

Back
Top Bottom