Cloning With Honey: 7Dust2

Honey clone getting stiff and color is starting to come back now

IMG_20220116_184845.jpg

I was going to re-pot the clone. Well did until I found no roots. So how did this plant live for more than 14 days. As if today. Anyone. Seriously no roots so we cut again and back to rooting.
Very interesting journal to follow. Appreciate your time in this little bit of an experiment.

The cutting can absorb water through the cut end of the stem and the sides of the stem that are below the water or soil line. The water will have dissolved minerals and sometimes a very, very small amount of the macro-nutrients. The stem can also absorb some water through the sides.

If it survives long enough the cutting can start to grow new leaves even without any roots. The older leaves will supply a lot of what the stem needs for new growth. If this keeps up the new growth stays small since it has to share the nutrients, mostly the mobile nutrients, with the older growth. A good sign is when the older leaves and any new leaves do start to show a healthy green color.

We will know that the cutting has started to grow strong and healthy roots when all the new growth is larger than the previous with bigger leaves and thick stems

What you are calling a 'node' at the end of the stem is a type of scar tissue that the stem formed to seal off the cut. Very similar to the scar tissue that forms at the spot where a stem is bent over during some sort of high stress training. I have seen roots start to come out from where the scar tissue meets the stem and it looks like you had one that started there. A good thing about that scar tissue is that it becomes very hard for molds or algae to form on the end.

Longest I have had cuttings survive without roots is 9 weeks (63 days) before I said enough is enough and tossed them onto the compost pile. This was with trying to root them in water or in soil.

Very interesting journal to follow. Appreciate your time in this little bit of an experiment.

The cutting can absorb water through the cut end of the stem and the sides of the stem that are below the water or soil line. The water will have dissolved minerals and sometimes a very, very small amount of the macro-nutrients. The stem can also absorb some water through the sides.

If it survives long enough the cutting can start to grow new leaves even without any roots. The older leaves will supply a lot of what the stem needs for new growth. If this keeps up the new growth stays small since it has to share the nutrients, mostly the mobile nutrients, with the older growth. A good sign is when the older leaves and any new leaves do start to show a healthy green color.

We will know that the cutting has started to grow strong and healthy roots when all the new growth is larger than the previous with bigger leaves and thick stems

What you are calling a 'node' at the end of the stem is a type of scar tissue that the stem formed to seal off the cut. Very similar to the scar tissue that forms at the spot where a stem is bent over during some sort of high stress training. I have seen roots start to come out from where the scar tissue meets the stem and it looks like you had one that started there. A good thing about that scar tissue is that it becomes very hard for molds or algae to form on the end.

Longest I have had cuttings survive without roots is 9 weeks (63 days) before I said enough is enough and tossed them onto the compost pile. This was with trying to root them in water or in soil.
Ah thank ya. Never had that happen before. Kinda threw me for loop. Had to go back cut it again and redo her.
I'm just amuture growing . Leave all that technical stuff for you professionals. But veryvery happy ya told me that. thank you.

o you guys find that scraping the last 3/4" of the sides of the stem helps??
Do you guys find that scraping the last 3/4" of the sides of the stem helps??
I have done that before but I don't really do that now.

Temp dropped last night down to 60
Was that the temp in the room the clones are in? If so then it is cold enough that the plant will be growing so slow that it might take 4 or 5 weeks for the clone to start roots or to signal that its end is near.

Usually I will wait 3 or 4 weeks depending on how badly I need the clones.

Coldest part of the winter is coming up. Sometime next month the days will be long enough that the soil will start to warm back up during the day and the room in the basement will go up a degree every week or two. It is like the plants and the cuttings know spring is coming and they start to grow better and faster.

Do you guys find that scraping the last 3/4" of the sides of the stem helps??
What I remember reading was scraping a small strip about 3/4 inch long at the end of the stem; but not all the way around, just the one strip and leaving the bark on the rest of it.

Like @7Dust2 I used to do it but not anymore except for special events when I feel adventurous. It does not seem to help much if any.

Was that the temp in the room the clones are in? If so then it is cold enough that the plant will be growing so slow that it might take 4 or 5 weeks for the clone to start roots or to signal that its end is near.

Coldest part of the winter is coming up. Sometime next month the days will be long enough that the soil will start to warm back up during the day and the room in the basement will go up a degree every week or two. It is like the plants and the cuttings know spring is coming and they start to grow better and faster.
Yeah don't really need it of plenty of seeds I'm growing also. I'm going give her one more shot . I relocated her to a warm pad and inside a humid area. See them but probly just going to let her go. My luck it about run out on her. I can feel it

Temp go below 60 on her

Yeah I think we going to destroy that clone. Hate to but just not in the cards for her. Probly doing to much make it simple for me. Trying to do three different plants at same time. Just to much. My fault temp got down to low anyway.
How can I close this journal and
Please come over to my other journal and let me know if things I can do better

Nevermind Dust, the main thing is we learn from trying stuff, and you did a good job with doing that.
When you want to close the journal, click the 'report' icon at the bottom of the post and write in the box for the moderator that you would like the journal closed.

When you want to close the journal, click the 'report' icon at the bottom of the post and write in the box for the moderator that you would like the journal closed.
But before you do that, take one last photograph showing the entire stem. And write a death notice;)for the poor plant.

Then let the moderators know and they can move it to the "Closed Journals" sub forum or whatever it is called.

Hey Dust!!!! It wasn't a waste of time - just look at all the fun we had laughing at you for putting honey on your weed and then not eating it!!! :rofl: :thedoubletake: :goof: Just Kidding!!!!!!!! And you don't know for sure it isn't a good idea - you might just have a very obstinate plant!!!

Hey Dust!!!! It wasn't a waste of time - just look at all the fun we had laughing at you for putting honey on your weed and then not eating it!!! :rofl: :thedoubletake: :goof: Just Kidding!!!!!!!! And you don't know for sure it isn't a good idea - you might just have a very obstinate plant!!!
Ya ya ya. I hear ya. .might well eat it. Sure not worth anything else . Cold is killing me here. Can't seem to get temp up no matter what I do. Got heater inside tent now. But I have two tents and got vent going to both but not much heat reaching inside small one. For fan pushing air in it but not working well. Idk. Got some something that works.. going. To work on it tomorrow

But before you do that, take one last photograph showing the entire stem. And write a death notice;)for the poor plant.

Then let the moderators know and they can move it to the "Closed Journals" sub forum or whatever it is called.
Used to just say close journal on a post does that still apply. Or is there a form somewhere

Back
Top Bottom