Cola Count On Topped Plants Versus using LST

Seniorweeder

My grow Homeade grow box is only 2'x4'x65" tall. I have a 12/12 line to flip lighting marked on the back wall of the box showing in the picture. I don't have enough knowledge to tell yet if they are males/females. That being said I don't know how many plants I will get to keep but am hoping for at least 2 nice females. Im guessing I can grow 3 or 4 if I don't use anymore training but only 2 if I try LST because of the wide spread. They have all been topped at least once, the one in the far back right was hit about 6 times to control height so the others could catch up. I understand that by using LST u create more colas, but if u don't do that how can u tell how many colas u may get versus just stems with buds on their ends on each plant? I mean if I can get 4/5 or 6 colas per plants with a nice long formation I will be extremely happy and may just leave them alone because I can grow about 4 plants that way versus 2 plants spread all out with LST, if that makes sense!.

GIRLS 1-3-20.JPG

Every growing top branch of plant will become a top cola! ;)

Looks great!

Females will have two distinct white hairs coming out of the bracts or calyx once they mature, usually around 6weeks of veg they can start to show sex. Males have no white hairs, just have cluster of pods. Which you'll see. If you have a male once you start flower!

Are they regular seeds or feminized?
Autos or photperiod plants?

Looking great. I have only topped indoors. I have super cropped and LST'd outdoors.

Without LST or any other form of manipulation, every branch that is "topped" will produce 2 main colas. As Lime stated, "...every branch/top will be a cola".

This is also affected by genetics and the plant's inherent propensity to create lateral branches. I have seen branches topped, put out a few colas off a single topped branch, given light was intense enough. Again, outdoors its not a problem with light penetration.

As this is your 1st grow, i would only choose 1 method and use it; learn it well and get comfy with it.

LST can become a touch more labor intensive and requires more attention than topping. I could see continually bending over and tying down branches potentially aggravating some muscular issues i have. That is something for myself to consider which method i will utilize most indoors.

My grow Homeade grow box is only 2'x4'x65" tall. I have a 12/12 line to flip lighting marked on the back wall of the box showing in the picture. I don't have enough knowledge to tell yet if they are males/females. That being said I don't know how many plants I will get to keep but am hoping for at least 2 nice females. Im guessing I can grow 3 or 4 if I don't use anymore training but only 2 if I try LST because of the wide spread. They have all been topped at least once, the one in the far back right was hit about 6 times to control height so the others could catch up. I understand that by using LST u create more colas, but if u don't do that how can u tell how many colas u may get versus just stems with buds on their ends on each plant? I mean if I can get 4/5 or 6 colas per plants with a nice long formation I will be extremely happy and may just leave them alone because I can grow about 4 plants that way versus 2 plants spread all out with LST, if that makes sense!.

GIRLS 1-3-20.JPG
My.02 senior, maximizing area of canopy is what you’re after. Whether with 8 plants or 2, training to a degree will be needed. If you like to have alot of varieties like me, I’d stick with more plants and simply keep each to say 4 main colas by topping and flowering early, like 4 weeks old, no more than 6. If you veg very long, you’ll end up wasting whats over 1.5 foot from ideal lamp position. The technique you use will determine to some degree what your bud structure/size will be. Genetics being one obviously.
My technique is to top once at about 6, spreading everything as she grows to the edges of my 3x3. Once I flip to flowering, I pull all the lower shoots up to near the top, when buds develop, they form pretty solid tops with no smaller larf. I’m limited to 5 plants so I have to get them a little bit bigger, not taller, wider. I’ve got a few pics on the gallery. You can handle this quest a number of ways successfully with a few different techniques . Good Luck on your grow!!

Looking great. I have only topped indoors. I have super cropped and LST'd outdoors.

Without LST or any other form of manipulation, every branch that is "topped" will produce 2 main colas. As Lime stated, "...every branch/top will be a cola".

This is also affected by genetics and the plant's inherent propensity to create lateral branches. I have seen branches topped, put out a few colas off a single topped branch, given light was intense enough. Again, outdoors its not a problem with light penetration.

As this is your 1st grow, i would only choose 1 method and use it; learn it well and get comfy with it.

LST can become a touch more labor intensive and requires more attention than topping. I could see continually bending over and tying down branches potentially aggravating some muscular issues i have. That is something for myself to consider which method i will utilize most indoors.
Oh man , as always your input helps me greatly "Patient". Based on what u said I am leaning on using just my topping efforts for my first grow, which may play out well given the size of my box if I end up with 3 or 4 female plants. U noted light intensity for budding, a while back I mentioned that a grower on here commented that my light was too small to produce buds, my light is a Growstar 600 watt LED and is doing well so far, what are your thoughts? Also I am including a close up of the top of one of my larger plants, if it is clear enough, can anybody tell the sex for this shot???? Thanks soooo much for everything guys!!!!!

Early flowering 1-4-20.JPG

Oh man , as always your input helps me greatly "Patient". Based on what u said I am leaning on using just my topping efforts for my first grow, which may play out well given the size of my box if I end up with 3 or 4 female plants. U noted light intensity for budding, a while back I mentioned that a grower on here commented that my light was too small to produce buds, my light is a Growstar 600 watt LED and is doing well so far, what are your thoughts? Also I am including a close up of the top of one of my larger plants, if it is clear enough, can anybody tell the sex for this shot???? Thanks soooo much for everything guys!!!!!

My.02, more power is better to a point. It needs to be controlled and heat managed. With proper airflow, more nutrients, water, higher wattage will allow for density and growth rate increases as long as all other bases are covered.

Every growing top branch of plant will become a top cola! ;)

Looks great!

Females will have two distinct white hairs coming out of the bracts or calyx once they mature, usually around 6weeks of veg they can start to show sex. Males have no white hairs, just have cluster of pods. Which you'll see. If you have a male once you start flower!

Are they regular seeds or feminized?
Autos or photperiod plants?
Hey "Lime" sooooo nice to hear from u grow friend. I have studied pix and vids of the sex stuff up close just not sure if mine are there yet or need more time. They are "Photos" that a VERY generous grower on here donated a while back, the strains are "Black water" and "Blu-Lime Skunks", not feminized and they are between 5 and 7 weeks old . I am enclosing a close up I took with of a top of an older one with my flip phone (yes Im old) he-he and hope it may be enough to help out??? Thanks sooooo much as always friend!

You should get more than 5 colas per plant if you just tossed a seed into a pot and walked away for 3 months.

I usually grow 2 plants at a time in a
2x5x9 space.
I have never topped a plant, I always just LST.
I use coconut water and sprouted seed tea of corn to help with achieving tight nodes.
I usually get between 25 to 36 colas per plant with 8 weeks veg.

20160917_101920.jpg
20170214_113827.jpg
20170329_085822.jpg
20190506_224106.jpg
20190604_193339.jpg
20190709_122559.jpg

Good looking gals!
Thank u soooo much for the encouragement!
You should get more than 5 colas per plant if you just tossed a seed into a pot and walked away for 3 months.

2x5x9 space.
I use coconut water and sprouted seed tea of corn to help with achieving tight nodes.

20160917_101920.jpg
20170214_113827.jpg
20170329_085822.jpg
20190506_224106.jpg
20190604_193339.jpg
20190709_122559.jpg
Dang Bro, that us some awesome looking Girls u got there. I totally get it the more I hear from u guys. Those pix are friggin amazing!

2x5x9 space.

20160917_101920.jpg
20170214_113827.jpg
20170329_085822.jpg
20190506_224106.jpg
20190604_193339.jpg
20190709_122559.jpg
Breath taking.

senior, you are absolutely kicking it with that light.

you'd launch stratosphere on a light upgrade. do that and then tie the girls up. in that order. you're going the right way.

Ok buddy here it goes, as of tonight I have decided to quit all the thinking and relax and make it simple/fun as U and some others have suggested for my 1st grow. I am done with Topping and NO LST this run. I just got my exhaust fan put in tonight and have my timer and other upgrades done. Im going to 12/2 tomorrow, then I will determine the sex and remove any males as necessary later on. Im excited as heck to make it to this point like u can't imagine. Since my grow room is running cool this time of year I am planning on doing my dark 12 during the day so it may be warmer then. I have the room dark as heck. If I need to adjust my hours later is that a big issue once they are in a schedule?

Back
Top Bottom