Complete Guide To Using STS To Create Feminized Seeds

Can you post pictures of the seeds? They should be dark with tiger stripes and tough shells. Small lighter colored seeds with soft shells are not mature. Also - they should be stored in a dark container in a cold area like your fridge after harvesting for a few weeks to "rest" them. Finally - what method do you use to germinate? Water soaking? Paper towel?
Oh wow. Thanks Hashgirl for helping me out there! That’s amazing!

I have attached a photo of some of the seeds. They look ok. They all have hard shells and a good looking germ inside when I crack them open. As far as popping method. I have tried paper towel and directly in a coco seed raising blend. Both with equal results. 1 in 10 popping. Now having said that!! I only tried as soon as I had dried out the flower. They have been in a dark container in the fridge ever since so sounds like I should give them ago again. I didn’t realise that a rest period was helpful!! Thanks for the heads up that’s great!

Regards, Grilson.

01B7D99E-2EC5-4D8D-8ED2-3B64F579B3F5.jpeg

G’day there. Thanks for posting such great instructions! I used this method and everything worked really well. I had great make flower development and quite good pollen production after about two weeks of the first male flowers opening. The first two weeks of male flowers were dry is no pollen. I used the pollen to pollenate feminised plants and it produced a lot of big healthy dark looking seeds.

Everything looks great except my germination rate with these seed is only about 1 in 10.

A couple of things that might be worth mentioning.. I used feminized plants to produce the male pollen.. can this cause issues?

And I also kept spraying the plants every 5 days for about two weeks after male flowers first appeared. After I read that as soon as male flowers are evident, spraying should stop.

Basically I am wondering if anyone has any idea why the seeds won’t pop? I have cracked a few open to look at the germ and it seems to be healthy and green. And I generally get a really high germination rate with my seed raising method.

Hope this makes sense!!

All the best. Grilson
Hi Grilson, I struggle with turning female plants to male. I've not had as much luck as you and produced seeds. Nice work! I presume, like you, that application timing may be the key to success. Good luck!

Oh wow. Thanks Hashgirl for helping me out there! That’s amazing!

I have attached a photo of some of the seeds. They look ok. They all have hard shells and a good looking germ inside when I crack them open. As far as popping method. I have tried paper towel and directly in a coco seed raising blend. Both with equal results. 1 in 10 popping. Now having said that!! I only tried as soon as I had dried out the flower. They have been in a dark container in the fridge ever since so sounds like I should give them ago again. I didn’t realise that a rest period was helpful!! Thanks for the heads up that’s great!

Regards, Grilson.

01B7D99E-2EC5-4D8D-8ED2-3B64F579B3F5.jpeg
They may be immature not having black stripes and being shiny. My reading says to be sure, and if you can, let them mature for 5 weeks. On the other hand there are a few that look like this and are normal and healthy. Not many though.

Hi Grilson, I struggle with turning female plants to male. I've not had as much luck as you and produced seeds. Nice work! I presume, like you, that application timing may be the key to success. Good luck!
G’day StoneOtter.

Yeah it all worked really well for me except the germination rate. But we will see with that. I will give them another go now that they have been resting for awhile. As for the timing... I had my feminised plants under lights for about 26 days and only 14hrs of light each day. Then I took them outside in our winter where they received only around 9-10 hrs of light. So from day 1 outside I stared the sts spray every 5 days. I ended up spraying the whole plant. I have 4 different strains and it worked on all equally well. I’m sure I made plenty of mistakes.. one I think I made was continuing the sts spray after the first male balls appeared. I had pollenless male flowers for the first two weeks once they started opening. But after that was all good. I also wonder if a regular fem is better than a feminised fem??

G’day StoneOtter.

Yeah it all worked really well for me except the germination rate. But we will see with that. I will give them another go now that they have been resting for awhile. As for the timing... I had my feminised plants under lights for about 26 days and only 14hrs of light each day. Then I took them outside in our winter where they received only around 9-10 hrs of light. So from day 1 outside I stared the sts spray every 5 days. I ended up spraying the whole plant. I have 4 different strains and it worked on all equally well. I’m sure I made plenty of mistakes.. one I think I made was continuing the sts spray after the first male balls appeared. I had pollenless male flowers for the first two weeks once they started opening. But after that was all good. I also wonder if a regular fem is better than a feminised fem??
I've heard breeders say fem stock is less than optimal, but they were organic reg seed only breeders. I couldn't say myself.

They may be immature not having black stripes and being shiny. My reading says to be sure, and if you can, let them mature for 5 weeks. On the other hand there are a few that look like this and are normal and healthy. Not many though.
G’day there. Just an update. I tried the seeds again after you mentioned they may need some rest time. You were right. 10 from 10 popped and all looking healthy. Thank you!

G’day there. Just an update. I tried the seeds again after you mentioned they may need some rest time. You were right. 10 from 10 popped and all looking healthy. Thank you!
Sweet! Good to hear! I hope you have the best grow ever with them! So yesterday I had to chop one down early so my seeds were 4 weeks. Hope they're good as yours!

G’day there. Does anyone know how the seeds from a plant that had been sprayed with sts turn out like? As in the female I have reversed with sts has pollinated it’s self and am winding if those seeds will be true fem seeds or not? In the past I have harvested the pollen and used it on a seperate female.

Regards. Grillson

I wonder why that is? And you are using the same recipe that this thread describes?
To be honest I'm not actively trying to turn anything right now and I haven't read what you described earlier. I've tried CS a few times and not STS yet though I do have it in the house. Maybe soon after I read your intro to it. I know it gets done every day by someone, just not me yet. Off to read

"Mixing your pollen at one part pollen to 50 parts corn starch or flour"
what would that look like? 1 part pollen to 50 parts
sorry for double post
Hi Always, I hear of folks using flour but I don't. I put a dessicant pack in a small jar and put that in the fridge. Making sure to let it come to room temp before opening the cover so it doesn't collect all the moisture in the room and ruin it.

Hi Always, I hear of folks using flour but I don't. I put a dessicant pack in a small jar and put that in the fridge. Making sure to let it come to room temp before opening the cover so it doesn't collect all the moisture in the room and ruin it.
yeah i dont think im using flower either but the "parts" measurement had me curious. do you let the reversed female finish before harvesting like normal or is the pollen ready before then. then if you did arm, would you cut it dry collect it store it.

Back
Top Bottom