Producing Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

:high-five: All I can say is WOW Granny! Great pics....Great Plants....Great Seeds..
And Great Job Girl They're some killer plant.:bravo:

:love:DennyinCA:love:

Hey sweetie! :thanks:

Simply fantastic job, Granny! :welldone:

You've tryly become a Maestro of MJ! :bravo:

:love:Mr. Krip:love:

:thanks: so much, honey... coming from such a master grower, I am honored.

See you after tax time Granny Girl. Your doing a great job. Congrats on the seeds. :circle-of-love:
:love:OMM:love:

And there is my dear ol' man. :thanks: sweetie - and it is SO WONDERFUL to see yer new grow is going great too!!!!

Great Update!

I just wanted to point out that my pollen was ready a little earlier than 6 weeks. Maybe between 4 and 5 weeks. Not to say that all the sacs were ready, but some (the ones I used) were.

Best Wishes.

:love:NotaDrinker:love:

:thanks: too, honey! And great point!!!

Yes... I am finding that the lowest sacs on the plant are usually ready first and it is usually around week 5 and then on for those higher up on the plant.

Gees - I've definitely got it down good now. Along with those I've already pictured, I have a ton of G13Haze seeds I can see... and Afghan Kush Special, and Vanilla Kush, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting! Currently I am using pollen from an auto female purple to seed itself and to seed the best looking purple female in the bunch. I will have a ton of seeds by the time I'm done! YEE HAH!!! YIPPI KI AI????!!! LOL I am SO PLEASED to be seeing seeds on so many strains.

The only thing I did wrong in the beginning was not taking sacs that dropped the pollen (and then using it fresh) - now that I fixed that I am having 100% success with seeding and it isn't taking so long. I don't even know how many strains I will have in the end... but to have them be FEMINIZED SEEDS is SUCH A GOOD FEELING!!!!

Had to get in here to congratulate Xlr8 on winning MOTM so thought I'd do a drive by in my own journal too! LOL!!! GREAT JOB Xlr8!!!

:love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love:

omg granny, great job all around. very great grower we have on our hands here :):circle-of-love:
:welcome: Deege420!! And :thanks: so much for the kind comments. I don't know about great - but if ya keep pluggin' away at something, you can surely get better at it! So good to meet new folks and glad ya found yer way in here!

:love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love:

WOOHOO!!! UPDATE TIME!!

THE TALE OF THE ENERGIZER WIDOW RYDER...

I began this experiment with ?7? plants (don't have time to really go back there)... One of those was a Widow Ryder (automatic strain). I think my seed date on the auto widow ryder was Oct 5th and I started CS treatment on one WR plant late in the month, intending to pollinate a second plant I seeded on that same date.

This CS treated plant is the one I started with spraying all and then realized it had to grow to 6 to 9 nodes before it would flower, so I then stopped spraying the top and only sprayed the bottom nodes after that. The result?
- the bottom turned completely to pollen sacs
- the center was a mix of sacs and buds
- the very top looked all female

Now keep in mind the female for this plant finished a very long time ago. And I had to learn a few things too! I thought I had a number of plants seeded - but didn't wait to SEE SEEDS before trashing the fem pollen I had created... the result was a number of plants that didn't get seeded well, or at all cuz I didn't take pollen that dropped immediately.

But this plant is like the energizer bunny... Oct 5th seeded and it has been through hell... but I finally got that dang thing SEEDED!!! YEEHAH!!! A plant that is supposed to finish way early and it's been growin' on and on for TWENTY-SIX + weeks!!! EGADS!!!

Here is that original Widow Ryder pictured with a Purple auto plant that I crossed it with in the last couple weeks...
040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilayaAndAutoWidowRyder_Seeded.jpg

The auto Widow Ryder (with parts missing due to checking for seeds and just generally has been thru the works for treatment!)... anyway, she is pictured above with the strain I ended up having to cross it with in order to get female seeds from this plant.

Here are a couple (bad) pics which show she is FINALLY making seeds!!!
040612_AutoWidowRyderFinallySeeded2.jpg

040612_AutoWidowRyderFinallySeeded1.jpg

My goodness am I happy to have this girl finally show me some seeds - even if I had to cross her with something else! This is a really powerful and nice yeilder for an auto strain and I was really disappointed it didn't get seeded. NOW IT IS!!!

Really funny because the pollen came from a CS treated female purple plant that was planted Jan 26th!!

Here are pics of the donors of the feminized pollen used on the two plants pictured above...
040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms.jpg

I am going to use them to illustrate the pollen sacs when they are PERFECT for dropping lots of pollen immediately. I am having 100% success when the pollen is taken at this time.

PERFECT TIME TO TAKE POLLEN..
I have found that I spray the plant for almost 4 weeks, then it takes about 10 days to have the first sacs releasing pollen (usually the very bottom, first formed sacs) with a lot more sacs releasing pollen in the second to fourth week after I finish spraying. I think when they turn completely brown they will drop pollen, but the pollen is NOT viable or this WR would have been pollinated long ago cuz it STILL has brown sacs within it's growth. So there must be a "too early" AND a "too late" time and wouldn't ya know I had to learn the hard way about both!!!

Here are some pics of the pollen sacs on these ladies, followed by the same pic with lot's of circles highlighting ripened pollen sacs ready for using.
040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsREADY3.jpg

040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsREADY4.jpg

040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsREADY1.jpg

040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsREADY2.jpg

The purple female pods the sacs came out of really make it easy to see them in these pics and how they sprout out of previously female buds.

And here is a pic of the sacs close up immediately after taking...
040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsRemoved.jpg

And here is a pic of the pollen that dropped in the container immediately upon taking off the plant (hold the container under where you are removing sacs to catch falling pollen)...
040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_DroppedPollen.jpg

Plenty to use on whatever I want... I used some a little over a week ago on that Widow Ryder and am doing a happy dance cuz I'm finally seeing seeds on her! I used it again today on her!!! I figure she's stuck around this long, she can make it another 4 to 6 weeks to give me some feminized seeds!!!

so I guess the moral of this tale is ...

NOT TO COUNT ANY OL' PRUNED UP LOOKIN' THINGS OUT! (LIKE ME!!!!)

Even if my seed count per strain was low in the beginning, I guarantee I'm makin' up for it now! I'm gonna have more seeds than I can grow in my lifetime!!! LOL!

Wish I had longer to stay... have at least another 4 hours of bookwork to go.... ugh.

LUVIES TO ALL!!!

:love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love::circle-of-love::love::love::love:

YEEEEEEEPEEEEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Super update Granny, I find so useful your last post, I'm letting veg a little long a Sour Diesel clone, I took it's first 4 nodes for a clone and I want to reverse that clone when it veg for 6 weeks and then make some pollination in a branch of his mom.

Mojox

Great thread!! I will be trying this out myself very soon but had only 1 question. Can I just turn 1 branch on my Feminized plant male to collect pollen then use that pollen to pollinate a few of the other branches on the same plant? I'm doing a very compact grow and I only have limited space so I cannot do cloning due to space so my only solution was to make my own feminized seeds.

:rofl: Great work here ! I just had a blueberry freak out from the heat and made about 10 pollen sacks...I pulled them all off and rubber them on SAME PLANT bottom budssss....got lots of feminized BB seeds growin now :thumb:
I have been following Granny's grow since way back n the day when she first got all her lights and all...I remember the picture of room full of cool toys when they came before all was started :bravo: ...... :thanks: for all the infomation over the years Granny and friends :thumb:

:rofl: Great work here ! I just had a blueberry freak out from the heat and made about 10 pollen sacks...I pulled them all off and rubber them on SAME PLANT bottom budssss....got lots of feminized BB seeds growin now :thumb:
I have been following Granny's grow since way back n the day when she first got all her lights and all...I remember the picture of room full of cool toys when they came before all was started :bravo: ...... :thanks: for all the infomation over the years Granny and friends :thumb:

I remember those days too! She has alway been a wonderful Lady. :high-five::love:

:love:DennyinCA:love:

Hey sweetie! :thanks:

:love:Mr. Krip:love:

:thanks: so much, honey... coming from such a master grower, I am honored.

:love:OMM:love:

And there is my dear ol' man. :thanks: sweetie - and it is SO WONDERFUL to see yer new grow is going great too!!!!

:love:NotaDrinker:love:

:thanks: too, honey! And great point!!!

Yes... I am finding that the lowest sacs on the plant are usually ready first and it is usually around week 5 and then on for those higher up on the plant.

Gees - I've definitely got it down good now. Along with those I've already pictured, I have a ton of G13Haze seeds I can see... and Afghan Kush Special, and Vanilla Kush, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting! Currently I am using pollen from an auto female purple to seed itself and to seed the best looking purple female in the bunch. I will have a ton of seeds by the time I'm done! YEE HAH!!! YIPPI KI AI????!!! LOL I am SO PLEASED to be seeing seeds on so many strains.

The only thing I did wrong in the beginning was not taking sacs that dropped the pollen (and then using it fresh) - now that I fixed that I am having 100% success with seeding and it isn't taking so long. I don't even know how many strains I will have in the end... but to have them be FEMINIZED SEEDS is SUCH A GOOD FEELING!!!!

Had to get in here to congratulate Xlr8 on winning MOTM so thought I'd do a drive by in my own journal too! LOL!!! GREAT JOB Xlr8!!!

:circle-of-love:Sorry my response took so long, I got your super sweet post in my journal, but somehow missed this post!! Thanks Granny, you rock! :circle-of-love:

:circle-of-love:EVERYONE!!!:circle-of-love:

Egads am I glad tax day is past!!!! WOOHOO!!! I did end up having to file 2 extensions, but got a bunch of done!!! Seems it never ends tho, cuz I still need to get those other returns done, quarterlies, and the bookwork caught up for 2012. UGH!!!

But I'm here to catch up now.... and then I think I'm going to go ahead and make a long last post to highlight what I learned and then let the 420 folks close this journal. I have had great success and can only hope this journal will help others to do the same. So here we go....!!!....

well, like Jan & Dean said: GO, GRANNY, GO !!!

:love:paw-paw:love: Hi Honey!! :thanks: so much for your wonderful comments! So wonderful to see you!

YEEEEEEEPEEEEYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Super update Granny, I find so useful your last post, I'm letting veg a little long a Sour Diesel clone, I took it's first 4 nodes for a clone and I want to reverse that clone when it veg for 6 weeks and then make some pollination in a branch of his mom.

Mojox

:love:mojox:love: Hi Sweetie!! :thanks: for letting me know this journal has helped you!!! And good luck sweetie on makin' yer own seeds!!! Sour Diesel is a fantastic strain... such a unique flavor to the diesel!

:circle-of-love::circle-of-love: I just Plain ole Love you Granny Girl! :circle-of-love::circle-of-love:

Your turning them out now! You and your seeds just get better with age. :love::love::love:
OMG, so much to see and read! Great work...seriously :goodjob: :circle-of-love:

:love:Dearest OMM & Sisco:love: :)

I love you both so very much too. I'm gonna close this journal so I will then have time to come and pester YOU TWO!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
I sprayed for 21-22 days I think, and it took 10-14 days until some sacs were ready and the rest followed. You got it down pat now Granny! ;)

Best Wishes

:love:NotADrinker:love:
Honey, I feel like you were a huge part of this journal too. :thanks: so very much for all your contributions - you sure helped me learn too!!!!!! I have subscribed to your thread so I can come torment you pretty soon!!! Seriously, I thank you from the bottom of my :love:.

Great thread!! I will be trying this out myself very soon but had only 1 question. Can I just turn 1 branch on my Feminized plant male to collect pollen then use that pollen to pollinate a few of the other branches on the same plant? I'm doing a very compact grow and I only have limited space so I cannot do cloning due to space so my only solution was to make my own feminized seeds.

:love:pot2010:love:
Hi Honey!:thanks: for the nice comment!! I'm sorry I haven't been here to answer your question. I had noted to all that this is a very busy time of year and that I wouldn't be back much until after tax time. I sure understand that many folks don't have much space. Yes - you can turn one branch, but the best method I found was just turning the bottom 2-3 nodes growth and then pollinating the upper portion (do it all on one small plant). I am going to make an ending entry today which will highlight the method and what I learned. I hope you find your way back here to review it!!!

Great work here ! I just had a blueberry freak out from the heat and made about 10 pollen sacks...I pulled them all off and rubber them on SAME PLANT bottom budssss....got lots of feminized BB seeds growin now

:love:IGrowGrass:love:

Hi Honey! I grow grass too!! lol! Sometimes those nanners can sure come in handy!!! :thanks: so much for the kind comments - you've evidently seen what a dufas I can be!!! LOL!!!! I only started this journal to learn and help others learn - and it's been a success... I am no longer petrified of nanas!!!! Now I'm makin' em happen!~!!! So good to have you in this journey too.
circle-of-love.gif
Sorry my response took so long, I got your super sweet post in my journal, but somehow missed this post!! Thanks Granny, you rock!

:love:xlr8:love:

You must have been on a MOTM HIGH!!! :) And actually, your responses are sure much quicker than mine have been of late!!!! Love you, honey!!!!

Next... I am going to end this message just to start my last long entry of highlights before finishing this journal... but I'm not going to miss anyone in the future cuz I've got lot's of journals subscribed so I can come visit many of you!!!!

SUMMARY OF PROCEDURE
&
THEN CLOSING JOURNAL

I so wanted to get in here on 4/20 - I MISSED YOU ALL!!!! My thoughts were here... wish I could have been too!

But today I am and I think it is time to wrap this journal up with a summary. Then I hope the wonderful 420 folks will slide this baby journal right on in to the completed journals area. And :thanks: 420 for giving us such a wonderful place to share!!!! I don't think any of us can really let 420magazine know how much they mean to us. Let's just say... THIS IS HOME AND IT HAS MY :love:!!!!

FIRST - THIS WORKS AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A GENIOUS TO DO THIS!!!

I am delighted to have a number of girls sprouted and a bunch of GIRL seeds for the future now!!!!

Here we go...

THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE

1) Colloidal Silver and a spray bottle.
2) At least one female marijuana plant.
3) Possibly a separate area to temporarily separate this plant from any flowering females you do NOT want pollinated.
4) PATIENCE!!!! :)

WARNING: The material I researched before starting in said NOT TO SMOKE ANY PARTS YOU TREAT WITH COLLOIDAL SILVER. There was discussion in this journal on if you could or couldn't - but since the warning was in everything I read, please heed this!!! The most important info discussed was that burning it causes the CS to change into a gas that could cause harm. Seriously tho, what you spray is going to turn bud into pollen sacs, so who would WANT to smoke it anyway???

HOW THE PROCEDURE WORKS
I'm not even going to attempt to understand the exact way this works. If you really want to know how it works, others did offer variations of this in the early parts of this journal. For me, I only needed to know that it could work!

COLLOIDAL SILVER BASICS
Colloidal silver has many uses, including internal and external human use for many ailments. For my purposes, I wanted only to use it to force female marijuana plants to produce pollen sacs so I could then use the pollen to create feminized seeds of pure and/or mixed strains. I was tired of the expense of purchasing seeds, especially automatic flowering seeds because they can't be cloned. I learned a lot along the way and had a few failures on the way to having great success. The journal itself reports all of these... but I thought this summary at the end will give others a good place to get the needed info without have to spend a lot of time reading the entire journal.

I do not have a lot of knowledge about CS, nor do I make my own. Thus, for those of you who have no interest in making your own or learning a lot about it - this is the place for you! I purchase my CS via amazon. This is a pic of the brand I purchase, which is 50ppm...
CSandSprayBottle.jpg

and a closeup of the bottle so anyone who wants can purchase it already made...
CS_OrderInfo.jpg

If you want to make your own or learn more about human uses for CS, BigIrishDude has a wealth of information and is a wonderful support for anyone with this interest. HERE is a link to his article about making your own CS. Irish is a wonderful guy who loves sharing his interest with others. :love:luvies Irish!!!:love:

FEMALE MARIJUANA PLANT
You do need at least one female mj plant.

HOW/WHAT TO SPRAY ON THE PLANT AND WHEN

Note: Colloidal silver is VERY HARD on the plant. You have to spray NEW GROWTH areas. Try not to spray the fan leaves if you can help it, cuz the spray is very hard (stunts and damages) on every part you spray.

I did a bit of experimenting with using CS to force the entire plant to produce pollen sacs (requires using a different female plant to pollinate and timing right), or just using the CS on part of a plant and then pollinating the buds on the untreated plant parts (buds). I found that the timing of two separate plants was not always good... the female to be pollinated would sometimes finish before the pollen was ready on the other plant. CS treatment seems to slow the plant's growth, so timing is something to consider when using separate plants. Planting them both on the same date does NOT work. If you do use separate plants, the delay is approximately 4 weeks. I struggled with this on a few and now....

After mucho learning, I found the method I prefer by far is to use one small plant in a small pot and just treat the bottom 2-3 nodes of plant growth with CS. This allowed me to use a single plant to produce feminized seeds. I produce pollen on the bottom growth and then used it to pollinate untreated buds farther up on the plant. This is the ONLY method I use now.

Below is a pic from early on when I was spraying the entire plant. I don't spray the whole plant now, but it highlights the growth areas for anyone who finds a visual helpful...
CS_MiddleSprayedDay1_2.jpg

When you don't spray the upper growth areas, the top grows more bud on it. If you spray the top parts it stunts the plant and you won't see much more upward growth.

What you do will depend upon your own preferences and needs. :)

I use a simple spray bottle to treat my plants. I believe there was discussion regarding the difference between misting (may delay the procedure) and saturating. The parts I spray, I saturate (spray until it drips).

For autoflowering strains (don't depend on the light cycle to flower), I begin spraying the bottom 2-3 nodes of growth once daily when they showed their first pre-flowers.

For regular strains, I begin spraying CS anywhere from 2 days before putting in flower to the first day I put the plant in flower.

I spray once daily. I use a magnifying glass to look at the treated areas everyday. After about 3 weeks many plants will begin to show sacs in the lowest growth areas, but I continued to spray an additional week until there are no more pistils (hairs) growing out (budding) of any of the treated portion of the plant. This turns everything that is treated to pollen sacs. The female calyx (pods) change and sprout sacs out of them.
Note: I found that even just 8 days of spraying will force some pollen sacs to form - but it was usually mixed with buds. There are many variances that can work. Some folks spray before flowering, some not as long. Do whatever works for you! I can only report what works best for my own preferences! :)

I have a number of strains and plants in my flower area so once the sacs have shown, I take this plant to a different area (an old dingy closet with CFL light). The lowest pollen sacs seem to mature earliest. I struggled with WHEN to take the pollen and didn't get a few plants pollinated cuz I took pollen too early. I am so grateful to others who contributed here cuz they helped me learn two extremely important things to SUCCESS with the pollination...
1) The pollen should fall out of the sac (DROP) IMMEDIATELY when the sacs are removed. If you have to force the pollen to fall out, the pollen is most likely NOT viable and will not produce seed.
2) LOOK FOR SEEDS! Do not remove the pollen sacs or toss the treated plant until you SEE SEEDS. It takes approximately 10-14 days to see seeds. During this wait time, I RE-pollinated about every 5 days as further pollen sacs become mature. This will also give you more seeds.

When I am finished using the pollen from the bottom (SEE SEEDS GROWING), I remove the growing sacs leaving only the lower fan leaves on the plant.

For examples, I am going to place a few pics from earlier in the journal so anyone reading this has a visual in this summary.

Here is a small Bubba Pre-98 plant (regular strain) that I began treating with CS (spraying new growth once daily) the day I put it into flower. I sprayed ONLY the bottom 2 nodes of growth for about 4 weeks.
03-09-2012_Bub.jpg

The treated part's growth was stunted by the treatment, while the rest of the plant grew nicely in this small pot.

Here is a closer pic of the treated bottom growth...
03-09-2012_Bub_CSTreatedBottom2Nodes.jpg

You can see there are not a lot of pollen sacs, but this gives you PLENTY. Most of my plants grew more sacs than this on the bottom - but I sure didn't need any more. This gave me plenty to pollinate some buds on the plant AND some to freeze for later use should I have a need.

I can see in the sacs on the left side of the above picture, there are sacs that appear to be "opening". These sacs are the beginning of viable pollen. But not all sacs "open". I think this is due to the way they are formed inside what started as a bud.

Below I will include a couple closeup pics that highlight sacs that FALL OFF easily with the tweezers and DROP pollen IMMEDIATELY - this is viable pollen. You can see they change colors, some open, but many don't. The key is if the pollen will fall out of the sac immediately if tapped while holding with your tweezers.
040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsREADY2.jpg

040612_PurpleAutoBlueHimilaya_CSBottoms_SacsREADY4.jpg

The purple plant above shows nicely how the sacs emerge from what used to be the female pods that make up a bud.

To take the pollen, I used tweezers and a small one ounce container. Hold your container under the sacs to catch any falling pollen.

I use a Q-tip to pollinate. I dip it in a bit of pollen and then either tap it over the bud (and watch the pollen fall onto it), or I sometimes gently brush the q-tip along the bud pistils (hairs). Be very gentle. If you are too rough you may kill the pistil.

Initially I was watching the pistils and if they died back shortly after pollination, I thought the plant was pollinated... but then others started putting pics in here that showed the seeds in their bud. But many others helped contribute knowledge and visuals here - :thanks::thanks::thanks:!!! They sure helped this ol' granny learn to LOOK FOR SEEDS AND DON'T TOSS ANY POLLEN SACS UNTIL YOU SEE THEM!!!

Seeing seeds is by far the most definitive way to KNOW YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFUL POLLINATION.
Since DennyInCA has stuck by me throughout this journal and his purple seed pic was a turning point for me from not-so-successful to 100% success with current pollinations, I am going to include his seed pic here...

DennyInCA... what a beautiful purple...
seeds.png

Makes it easy to see the seeds, eh???

But not just seeds.... FEMALE SEEDS!!!!!!!

That was the goal and now, well... Granny's got it down to a simple process that works every time. If this ol' lady can do it - SO CAN YOU!!!

I want to thank EVERYONE who visited and supported this journal. I can't even begin to name them all because I would end up leaving someone really important out!!!

hmmm... I can't get the thank you smilie to go here, so...

FROM MY HEART TO YOURS...
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

May all of your hearts be blessed!!!!!!!!!

And may all who visit this journal be blessed with lots of FEMALE SEEDS!!! YES IT WORKS!!!

Wish I could get smilies to finish this - but don't want to lose what it took me a very long time to finish here!!!

LOVIES TO ALL!!!!

Back
Top Bottom