Compound Parabolic Solar Heated Weed Conversion Unit

greenjeans

Since I am very frugal, having to keep the Coconut oil and decarbed weed at about 160 - 170 degrees for hours and hours frightens my Hydro Meter so.... I'm working on a couple of Solar Accumulators, if there is such a thing. One is four sided and would heat a pot of water with the jar of Oil and weed inside and the other is a trough style which would have a copper pipe with water circulating into a pot with the oil and weed. I think it will get hot enough and the trick will be controlling the temps.
solar 1.jpg
Solar 2.jpg

I will line the trough with some Mirror Mylar. I'm thinking this will be the best design and if the water in the pipe will thermosiphon I think I can adjust temps by partial shading etc.
Plus working on this helps me not start dropping seeds too early and gives my composting worms a break from me checking on them!!

May I ask what your used to doing for decarbing?
Sadly I use a little toaster oven - so far that's the best I have come up with, but decarbing only takes an hour or two - not the 2 days some people say it takes to tranfer all the good stuff to the coconut oil. I've never done it near that long and I'm excited to see if this can do the job. If I'm real lucky I may figure out a way to do decarbing with solar as well. Trust me, if it works I'll be shouting from my greenhouse roof!!!

Well, not too impressed with my 4 sided model, it is only lined with tin foil and I have not put a glass cover on but it only gets up to 60 c . I need to find a spot that gives me total sun with no obstructions.
I do like my aiming system tho!!! :thumb: I have much higher hopes for the Trough style - it will get the mirror mylar and a glass cover as I won't need to get into it - the water will be in a container on the exterior.
para 1.jpg

OK - looks like sun all day!!! And I have my greenhouse tidied up enough to situate things - this will be my first real test of the "Trough Transmografier" - the other times I have tried it seemed like the water would not circulate so I have switched to a 1.5 copper pipe painted black with larger fittings for the hoses so I have high hopes this time!!!
I'll keep you posted - I can almost feel your anticipation from here!!!!! :rofl: :thedoubletake:

Well Damn!!! Had a nice sunny day but no joy from my transmografier!!! I think I will shelve the idea until summer and see if the stronger sun makes a difference. It will need to be a big difference. I checked and double checked the focal point but still not near enough heat generated.

Hey greenjeans you should try to find an old projection TV & use the
Fresnel lens to make a solar heater

Fresnel lens
Hey Brew - Thanx for the tip - I have an old overhead projector that has a 11" lens in it - it is now positioned and heating a can of water!! I burnt my hand!!! I'll keep you posted on my progress. :ciao:
Oops - forgot to hit Post!!!
Well, that didn't work either!!! I could burn my hand and burn paper almost instantly as well as wood but my tomato can full of water would only reach 52 C and I need to get to 70 to cook my Oils. :hmmmm: Maybe in the summer with the stronger rays and if I insulate the back side of the can. I will try again on a sunny day but it surprises me that my goofy half baked, tin foil lined gizmo in the picture in half the time got a thicker uncovered pot of water up to about 53 c.

Back
Top Bottom