Conifer mulche, combatting fungus gnats

Autofacade

Hi guys and gals.

I've heard that the use of conifer tree mulche can be a great way to combat fungus gnats. The thing I'm worrying about is it affecting PH of my soil. I use organic living soil will it just adjust?

Hi guys and gals.

I've heard that the use of conifer tree mulche can be a great way to combat fungus gnats. The thing I'm worrying about is it affecting PH of my soil. I use organic living soil will it just adjust?
yes, pine bark mulch works very well and is quite cheap. Just put an inch deep layer on top and your gnats will go away. My question is if you are running a living organic soil, you have absolutely no reason to even think about soil pH. It is a non issue and not worthy of any concern at all. But in answer to your question, yes, in the immediate area of the mulch layer the pH of the soil will be slightly lower than in surrounding areas, just as the pH fluxuates around any of the organics in and about that soil. Your living container is a collection of pockets of pH that are both higher and lower than the average pH or the base pH of the soil. Also, a very special thing happens right below that mulch. Out of the sterilizing bright light from above, a very special layer of beneficial bacteria form in the first 1/4 inch of that soil, further protecting your container from pests and other pathogens.

I also put about .5" of sand on top of the soil in my pots afterward so they couldn't get back in the soil.

This. They hate sand as it cuts them up like little razors, so they go away. This breaks the breeding cycle, and knocks them out. You'll have to use a little neem or other product to handle the adults initially.

yes, pine bark mulch works very well and is quite cheap. Just put an inch deep layer on top and your gnats will go away. My question is if you are running a living organic soil, you have absolutely no reason to even think about soil pH. It is a non issue and not worthy of any concern at all. But in answer to your question, yes, in the immediate area of the mulch layer the pH of the soil will be slightly lower than in surrounding areas, just as the pH fluxuates around any of the organics in and about that soil. Your living container is a collection of pockets of pH that are both higher and lower than the average pH or the base pH of the soil. Also, a very special thing happens right below that mulch. Out of the sterilizing bright light from above, a very special layer of beneficial bacteria form in the first 1/4 inch of that soil, further protecting your container from pests and other pathogens.
I think it was yourself who first told me about it! Thanks @Emilya:) its fresh wood chip from the tree across the road :)

Back
Top Bottom