Cooking with The Chronic

Alright! Finally!

I've collected enough trim & bullshit off the Amnesia auto to get busy in the kitchen again.... kinda, I guess.

LoL

So, I've been wanting to make a strong topical oil to help with my back pain. Mrs. 9mm already massages my aches away 2-3 times a week. Why not do it with a THC laden version.
:thumb:

Not really sure how much I started with... it was a big handful of fresh/frozen trim.

Tied it up in a Turkey bag & decarbed at 240° for an hour and a half.
Here is the resulting 60g decarbed bud:

I will be infusing grapeseed oil, as I hear it absorbs the best. Thank @InTheShed
:thumb:

Same method I always use to infuse; I'll run it in a crockpot "water bath" at 180° for 12 hours.

So... there's a bit of a twist. I want this to be the strongest possible THC content, so I will be infusing all 60g into 1 cup of oil.

First run is 20g buds to 1.25 cup grapeseed oil. I will run for 12 hours, then strain out the mash.

Second run, using the oil that was just strained, add another 20g, run for 12 hours, strain and reuse oil for a third run with the last 20g.

Whew.... felt like a nerd typing that.
:nerd-with-glasses:

Hope it makes some kind of sense.

Overall, I expect about 1/4 cup to disappear through processing. I want to end with roughly 1 full cup.
:blunt:

Looking at the number of fans in that bag, I'm calling it at 5% THC.

60 grams
295.7 ml oil
80% efficiency
8.12mg THC/ml oil.

I'd say you're going to need more buds in there unless you think I'm way off at 5%.
I'd give it maybe 8%. But I can always give it a try & run it again with fresh material later. Add a little oomph

But... at those calculations... you're 100% right. I need to add more buddage.

I've still got about a QP (wet/frozen) popcorn buds left that I was gonna make gummies with...

F-that! I'll figure out a way to use it all in this batch.

I may need to bump up the oil qty a bit, but I think it's feasible.

That'll do donkey... that'll do!
20190619_195930.jpg

Decarb it and grind it. You can fit a lot more in the oil when it's ground. I layer the sides of the grinder with oil so I can take off the trichomes that might stick to the walls.
Yeah... I normally pack it in a bit tighter too. I could have done 40g on this first run, but was trying to evenly space it out.

I'll see what I can really fit in with the next run.

I want to run it in as few sessions as possible to avoid over-exposing the oil to heat. But, grapeseed oil is awesome at high temps. It should hold up just fine to 4-5 runs at 180°

I'll be curious to see how the finished product works for you. :popcorn: Do you plan to add any wax to the oil?

I'll be curious to see how the finished product works for you. :popcorn: Do you plan to add any wax to the oil?
No... I'm shooting for max absorption with the consistency of massage oil.... or lube (just a reference)

Shed says: Just say "no" to wax in pain topicals!
I could have sworn I read a tutorial from you where you added beeswax and then put it into screw-up dispensers. :hmmmm: (I'm not even "high" this time...) :)

No... I'm shooting for max absorption with the consistency of massage oil.... or lube (just a reference)
Sounds good! That reminds me - I need to pull out the message table and set it up in my son's former bedroom. :)

I could have sworn I read a tutorial from you where you added beeswax and then put it into screw-up dispensers. :hmmmm: (I'm not even "high" this time...) :)
You’re not wrong, many people do it that way. But it’s not a requirement, especially since the purpose of this type of topical is to be a carrier for the canabinoids, which his why Shed doesn’t want anything to inhibit absorption through the skin.

I know someone around here uses those... my memory is shit too. LoL

I'll scroll back through this journal... I remember the conversation.

You’re not wrong, many people do it that way. But it’s not a requirement, especially since the purpose of this type of topical is to be a carrier for the canabinoids, which his why Shed doesn’t want anything to inhibit absorption through the skin.
Oh, I understand that, and I have made it both ways. They each have their purpose. I was not suggesting, just asking. :Namaste:

Oh yes - that's it. Thanks for the clarification. :thanks: So pain oil is for deep penetration and salve is for close to the surface issues.

Oh yes - that's it. Thanks for the clarification. :thanks: So pain oil is for deep penetration and salve is for close to the surface issues.
Kinda. The skin salve contain only whatever THCa is in the non-bud parts of the plant (leaves, stems, roots), and is effective for surface issues like bites, hives, abrasions, and non-open burns. I don't know what is in the rest of the plant but it works really well on those types of problems.

The high-THC pain oil is targeting the nerve endings below the surface of the skin (the THC does not get into the deep tissue or bloodstream), and is effective at blocking pain signals at specific points on the body where the applicable nerves run close to the skin's surface.

So... I've decided to cash out all my trim bags to do this oil properly...

About half/half; dried trim/fresh frozen. Some popcorn, larf, sugar leaves, and kief. I'll get a proper weight on it after decarb.
Starting:
20190620_124440.jpg

Here's what I'm working with now:
20190620_124252.jpg
20190620_124244.jpg

Oil qty is gonna go up a bit, to make it easier on me to infuse, I'll probably shoot for 2 cups oil, in the end.

Of course, these little updates are coming in real time... I'll patch it all together for a tutorial in the end.

Round 2 is cookin' now. Same oil from the first 12 hour run.
20190620_123104.jpg

With 40g dried/decarbed bud, back to the crockpot at 180° for 12 hours.

:headbanger:

Back
Top Bottom