Cooking with The Chronic

I have been making infused olive oil for a while now and my system is to decarb in my heat treating oven at around 230F for 2 hrs then I add my olive oil and put it in a jar in my crockpot filled with water to cook at 212F for 6 hrs to release the goodness.

But I have noticed that I get a lot of smoke coming off the bud when it is being decarbed in the oven to the point where it is staining the inside of my oven. Recently @Pennywise was telling me that drying his bud in the fridge he thought preserved the terpenes better than drying them in the open so it struck me that maybe all that smoke coming off my bud is the good stuff I want to keep.

So I have been thinking I am going to try a new system of mixing my bud with olive oil right away and putting that in the oven and cooking the mixture at 230F for at least 6 hrs. I don't think I will lose any goodness with the bud immersed in oil. Any thoughts??

I think you still need to decarboxulate your buds or they won't be as effective. here is a chart that shows it.
decarb-chart.jpg

How are you cooking your buds? some folks are useing turkey roasting bags to retain volatile compounds, others put it in a pan covered with aluminum foil with a pin hole only. :thumb: :woohoo: :theband:

I think you still need to decarboxulate your buds or they won't be as effective. here is a chart that shows it.
decarb-chart.jpg

How are you cooking your buds? some folks are useing turkey roasting bags to retain volatile compounds, others put it in a pan covered with aluminum foil with a pin hole only. :thumb: :woohoo: :theband:
Yes, perhaps I didn't explain properly, I understand I need to decarb and I am but I am doing it with the oil added. My system was to decarb dry bud in my oven dry at 230F and then to dissolve the trichomes I would cook it in oil in jars in my crockpot for 6 hrs filled with water so that would be 212F.

But my new system I am going to try I will just cook the oil and bud together in the oven at 230F for 6-8 hrs so I am decarbing and dissolving in one step. This way, I hope, no volatiles will be lost because the bud is always covered in oil when heated.

I understand the pinhole method is trying to keep the volatiles contained but I can't help thinking a lot would still excape through the pinhole and would also attach to the inside of the foil.

Yes, perhaps I didn't explain properly, I understand I need to decarb and I am but I am doing it with the oil added. My system was to decarb dry bud in my oven dry at 230F and then to dissolve the trichomes I would cook it in oil in my crockpot for 6 hrs filled with water so that would be 212F.

But my new system I am going to try I will just cook the oil and bud together in the oven at 230F for 6-8 hrs so I am decarbing and dissolving in one step. This way, I hope, no volatiles will be lost because the bud is always covered in oil when heated.

I understand the pinhole method is trying to keep the volatiles contained but I can't help thinking a lot would still excape through the pinhole and would also attach to the inside of the foil.
You can definitely decarb in the oil, but I would shoot for closer to 8 hours, and actually check temp in the oil with a thermometer.

Just cuz the oven is at 240, doesn't mean the oil is.

You can definitely decarb in the oil, but I would shoot for closer to 8 hours, and actually check temp in the oil with a thermometer.

Just cuz the oven is at 240, doesn't mean the oil is.
That is a good idea about checking the temps!! :thumb:

I get it, that is exactly what some do currently. I thinks Sweet Sue does that in little batches. :thumb:
Cool, knowing Sue does it is encouraging. Thanks, guys. :thumb:

I used to use the same technique as you Homer for making infused olive oil. I now you Sweet Sue's technique in the instapot de-carb and infuse all in one step. It works as good if not better than the old technique with no hassle just set it and forget it. I use a half litre mason jar 1 and 1/4 cups evoo 30 grams dried Bud Ground up pressure cook for 2 hours on high then I let it cool usually overnight or 10 or 12 hours and then do the process again I let it cool overnight again and it's ready to go. So much easier then watching it all day long. I think next batch I will try just running 1 2 hour cycle and let it cool overnight. I know sweet Sue uses one 1 hour and 50 minutes cycle and she swears by it but she also does smaller batches.

I used to use the same technique as you Homer for making infused olive oil. I now you Sweet Sue's technique in the instapot de-carb and infuse all in one step. It works as good if not better than the old technique with no hassle just set it and forget it. I use a half litre mason jar 1 and 1/4 cups evoo 30 grams dried Bud Ground up pressure cook for 2 hours on high then I let it cool usually overnight or 10 or 12 hours and then do the process again I let it cool overnight again and it's ready to go. So much easier then watching it all day long. I think next batch I will try just running 1 2 hour cycle and let it cool overnight. I know sweet Sue uses one 1 hour and 50 minutes cycle and she swears by it but she also does smaller batches.
Thanks for the info, Old Smokey. I use about the same proportions of bud to oil as you. Unfortunately, I don't have a pressure cooker but it should work out if I do it longer in a standard oven. Looking forward to giving it a try, thanks again.

I use 1cup olive oil 1oz. Bud. Chop bud up in ninja chopper. Add to oil set stove on med.- High. Turn to medium when you see start to boil stir for 45min. Let cool strain with cheese cloth add to brownies or what ever and get baked. Easy money , just make sure not to get to hot . eat get medicated.

There was a discussion of decarbing in oil over in one of the scientific threads here (I'll see if I can find it later), and the conclusion was that decarbing in oil is not as effective as decarbing dry.

Nova tried it with their machine and found a large difference between decarb in oil vs decarb first and then infuse in oil.

Here is their chart:
decarb in oil results.JPG

Source

I would always decarb first, whether the buds are dried low and slow or hang dried and burped.

There was a discussion of decarbing in oil over in one of the scientific threads here (I'll see if I can find it later), and the conclusion was that decarbing in oil is not as effective as decarbing dry.

Nova tried it with their machine and found a large difference between decarb in oil vs decarb first and then infuse in oil.

Here is their chart:
decarb in oil results.JPG

Source

I would always decarb first, whether the buds are dried low and slow or hang dried and burped.

I hate to be a contrarian but I did the one step decarb in olive oil a few days ago after always till now decarbing dry before adding oil and this system works wayyyyyyyyyy better for me. I have been wondering why it felt so much different taking oil than when I used to smoke years ago and this was a major answer.

This batch actually tastes like NL and in previous batches I could not taste the cannabis hardly at all. And I feel I am getting a much more complex buzz with more depth and much calmer and relaxing. As soon as my OG is ripe I am going to try Sue’s wet method.

You are usually right Shed but the proof is in the pudding so if you haven’t done a decarb in olive oil you really should and compare. I waited a few days to really judge and to me, it makes a big difference.

This wasn't my original research, which is why I posted the pic and the source link for those interested.

I guess I should have indicated that it won't decarb in any normal decarb time frame. I don't know what the parameters were from Nova, but I'm glad the 7 hours did the trick for you. I don't run my infusions at decarb temps for that long. More in the 160-170º F range. Some oils don't do well at high temps for long periods.

I'd still like to have two methods lab tested though, for science!

This wasn't my original research, which is why I posted the pic and the source link for those interested.

I guess I should have indicated that it won't decarb in any normal decarb time frame. I don't know what the parameters were from Nova, but I'm glad the 7 hours did the trick for you. I don't run my infusions at decarb temps for that long. More in the 160-170º F range. Some oils don't do well at high temps for long periods.

I'd still like to have two methods lab tested though, for science!
Wow, I am really surprised you run your decarb temps so low; I thought it would take forever at 160-170F? Glad it is working for you.

I would love to see them compared for science! I am eagerly looking forward to @Dutchman1990 's lab results of his 20:1 because with CBD strains you really don't know what you have so yes sincerely I am all for SCIENCE!!

Wow, I am really surprised you run your decarb temps so low; I thought it would take forever at 160-170F?
Heavens no! I run my decarb first at 240ºF in the oven and then run the infusion in the 160-170º F range.

If I'm doing a small batch I run 8 hours in a jar in the oven, but anything 2+cups goes in the MagicButter machine. I run that 8 hours, cool over night, and 8 hours the next day.

Not butter though. That's infused for 4-6 hours at 160º and done.

Heavens no! I run my decarb first at 240ºF in the oven and then run the infusion in the 160-170º F range.

If I'm doing a small batch I run 8 hours in a jar in the oven, but anything 2+cups goes in the MagicButter machine. I run that 8 hours, cool over night, and 8 hours the next day.

Not butter though. That's infused for 4-6 hours at 160º and done.
That makes a lot more sense. I decarb about 230F and I was infusing at 212F when I did them separately. And when Sue uses freshly harvested bud she only cooks for about 2 hrs. I am thinking my 7 hrs is way too long. Everyone is doing it a little different but since no one is getting it tested who knows what is best. We seriously are in need of some science or at least testing. I hope it isn't too expensive. I am curious how much Dutch gets charged for his test.

My Candida oil test was $75 at a lab in San Francisco.
Cool. Not cheap but not prohibitive. I didn't know you had the Candida tested? Do you mind me asking the results? I would love to know. I have to decide what to get soon for my next CBD strain. Candida is hard and pricy to get here or I would just get it so I am waiting for Dutch's 20 to 1 tests before I decide.

Back
Top Bottom