Curing

If you want to use the fridge use a couple of airtight plastic containers. A humidor doesn't seal tight enough to keep food odors from getting into your weed or stogies. I've ruined both by trying to keep 'em fresh in fridge.

Irish, how would you feel about making a separate thread about using the humidor? I think it would be a great angle to show. I'm looking to get one eventually and want to learn all the ins and outs of using them. Especially with the hygrometer. Maybe do a step by step from harvest so we can see how you use it to get top quality smoke. I run into some bad luck curing my buds. Dry and crispy on the outside but still soft and fluffy on the inside after curing for a month so I sealed the jars. A month later I open them to find mold growing on the buds in the center of the jar, and yes, I did rotate the buds so there wouldn't be moisture pockets. Maybe it was because I was in the south and it was always around 80 degrees in my house.

You guys are making much ado about nothing.

For curing all you have to do is to control the rate of evaporation so that it takes about ten days or so until the buds stop losing weight. Then put them in jars and burp for a few days until they smell just so and seal them to age like a fine wine.

I'm smoking some of my old Kali Mist that is almost two years in the jar and it is heaven on earth.

I would always take the fresh buds, trim hard and break up the colas, put them in small boxes inside perforated waxed paper with plenty of perforations on the outside of the boxes. The boxes were and still are the small ones that cigarette tubes come in.

I could put about 120G of wet buds in there and and monitor the weight until they hit about 25% of the wet weight then jar them and burp for a week, seal and save in a cool area like my basement that never gets over 60F even in late summer.

The fresh Kali would near give me a heart attack but the aged stuff is uplifting and so mellow compared to that and not something that your going to find off the street. I haven't bought pot of the street in over thirty years tho I occasionally smoke some from friends that do. We all agree, homegrown with love is the bomb!

I prefer to trim as I harvest, then cure. Some like to hang and cure, then trim. Each to their own. Every cola I chop off seems like child abuse and I like to get it over with as fast as possible.

I can't see buying humidors to cure your crop unless it's so small that it would all fit in at once.

But then I'm a Scotsman and cheaper than a Jew. lol

*The above statement was meant as a comparison and not a racial slur.*

Us Scotsmen are way cheaper than our Jewish friends.

:peace: and many good hoots to you and yours.

Irish, how would you feel about making a separate thread about using the humidor? I think it would be a great angle to show. I'm looking to get one eventually and want to learn all the ins and outs of using them. Especially with the hygrometer. Maybe do a step by step from harvest so we can see how you use it to get top quality smoke. I run into some bad luck curing my buds. Dry and crispy on the outside but still soft and fluffy on the inside after curing for a month so I sealed the jars. A month later I open them to find mold growing on the buds in the center of the jar, and yes, I did rotate the buds so there wouldn't be moisture pockets. Maybe it was because I was in the south and it was always around 80 degrees in my house.

This may come as a surprise, but the room that you cure your buds in can be your humidor. A humidor is nothing more and nothing less than an area in which you control relative humidity. You can raise the humidity to rehydrate dry buds, you can lower the humidity to help dry out your buds. Your most valuable tool is the hygrometer, to let you know the state of your curing process. If you live in the south, it's the humidity of your weather that is keeping your buds from finishing on the inside.

I may start a thread about this when I have the time to go into serious detail....

What she said.

I store the majority of my stogies in the basement as the RH averages around 55-60% and the temp at roughly 65 degrees fahrenheit,nearly perfect for long term cigar storage. I bring the stored sticks to an upstairs humi for a month or so of conditioning at 65% humidity and smoke away.

BTW,that glasstop humi is on sale dirt cheap at Mikes Cigars for the holidays. The hygrometer on the front isn't the best but it does the job.

Back
Top Bottom