Curing

HI I let my dry on a line after 5 days. I sprayed lite mist on the buds.3 more dayes.the stem was britle.so I put them in jars....burped every day in 3 days,,smelled so good now,,at first they semlled like old hay,,now great it was pure gold, very good tast and buzz,,

Sprayed buds on drying line

HI I let my dry on a line after 5 days. I sprayed lite mist on the buds.3 more dayes.the stem was britle.so I put them in jars....burped every day in 3 days,,smelled so good now,,at first they semlled like old hay,,now great it was pure gold, very good tast and buzz,,

U sprayed ur buds u were trying to dry? With what? Can u elaborate? Where did u get this idea?

How can you tell when it is safe to close the lid and store for long periods of time without worrying about mold?

When the humidity (moisture content) is 70% or less, you can bag/bottle/jar/tub/can cannabis indefinitely. A good humidor w/hygrometer is worth it's weight in gold to keep bud at it's absolute best, and also in use for its curing. With the hygrometer, you can monitor and adjust the moisture content of your bud as it cures. I do custom curing this way, and can produce a very rich tasting bud because of it.

I sprayed with Disttiled water.. a light mist on them,,they smelled llike old barm hay,from drying too fast..my room was around 82 degrees so I would mist them just a littly..it worked for me..they smell great now.and smoke real good buzzzzz

Stored in a cardboard box in the deep freeze they'll keep for years and seem to get better with age like a fine wine.

I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Still in the jars? The buds aren't dried when they come out? The potency hasn't really diminished much? Years? Damn!! Tell us more.

When the humidity (moisture content) is 70% or less, you can bag/bottle/jar/tub/can cannabis indefinitely. A good humidor w/hygrometer is worth it's weight in gold to keep bud at it's absolute best, and also in use for its curing. With the hygrometer, you can monitor and adjust the moisture content of your bud as it cures. I do custom curing this way, and can produce a very rich tasting bud because of it.
If one were to cure in mason jars how do you measure the humidity that accurately? What type of hygrometer are u using and how are u using it effectively? This is not sarcasm. I am serious.

If one were to cure in mason jars how do you measure the humidity that accurately? What type of hygrometer are u using and how are u using it effectively? This is not sarcasm. I am serious.

There are several styles of hygrometer, both analog and digital, and some of them have added functions like ph and thermometer. Of these, the digital pen type would be your best bet in testing the moisture content of your bud in the jars. Are you using the quart sized jars, or the gallon size? In the gallon size, you could put a simple round analog hygrometer that faces out the glass and watch without opening the lid. I use the round analog type that is installed in my humidor, but am planning on getting a folding 3-way digital ph, thermometer, hygrometer combo device to test my smaller custom curing tubs with. I'll give a report on how well that works around harvest time. ;)

(there are a ton of them on eBay....do a search and you'll see all the different kinds)

...What type of hygrometer are u using and how are u using it effectively?

Sorry. I got waylaid earlier and didn't adequately address this question.

I mostly use a hygrometer in conjunction with my stash humidor. A properly set up humidor can keep your stash at the perfect moisture content indefinitely. Many of the nicer ones are boxes made of or lined in Spanish cedar, but there are others made of or lined in ceramic or glass or metal. I'm sure you can use anything with an air tight seal, but a wood box seems to keep the humidity more uniform.

Mine is Spanish cedar lined. It has a removable divider set up with humidifiers that keep the humidity right where you want it. There is a removable top rack for the day's or week's consumption, and the lid that swings shut over it all has a tight seal. A keyed locking mechanism is a nice final touch. It does indeed keep my smoke perfect, though admittedly you get an ever-so-slight whiff of cedar in the smoke if not aired after ground for use. Not objectionable at all as it seems to add a richness to sweet and pungent weed.

Another use I've put my spare hygrometers to were the containers I packed my lbs in. Situated where it can be seen when opened or through the side of the packaging, you can see at a glance if you're on the edge of wrecking moisture-wise. Too dry, and everything breaks down to powder. Too wet, mold and decomposition. So it's nice to have that reference for peace of mind alone.

As far as use while curing, I haven't used it so much. After so many years of curing I can *feel* where the moisture content is at in a batch or a bud and smell what the chemistry is doing as curing is going on. But for someone that's just learning, a hygrometer would be a great tool to teach you what you can eventually sense tactily in relation to your own curing process, as well as help keep you from wrecking the fruits of your labor.

Irish u mind hittin me up with a pic, I have a thermo/hydrometer but it can't fit in a qt jar. I've never seen a pen style one or anolog (think I may have seen 1 in a book once. Does it look like a stop watch?)

I just found a really cool one on eBay that I'm going to try. Let's see if I can insert a link...

CIGAR SHAPE DIGITAL HYGROMETER - eBay (item 370250234918 end time Sep-24-09 05:00:55 PDT)

That should work. It's a little longer than a cigarette and about half an inch wide. ;)

ok, now I feel hella dumb. I have one of those, its for a terrarium. Never thought to use it in that fashion. Thanks man. U really helped clear that up. I also subscribed to this thread for reference. Good stuff. + reps Irish. Got a pic of this elaborate sounding cedar box? I'm intrigued.

ok, now I feel hella dumb. I have one of those, its for a terrarium. Never thought to use it in that fashion. Thanks man. U really helped clear that up. I also subscribed to this thread for reference. Good stuff. + reps Irish. Got a pic of this elaborate sounding cedar box? I'm intrigued.

*LOL* Okay. I'll take a pic and post it here. It's really much simpler than it sounds. ;)

garden_028.jpg

Pathetically empty, with top tray removed....

garden_030.jpg

Thats hella clean (this is a good thing)!! I want one. How do I use it? How much can it hold? Is it light tight? Where can I order one? Good construction? How old is urs? Do u use often? Had any problem with it at all? This should probably be a product review thread and I know I ask plenty questions, but I really like this box.

Thats hella clean (this is a good thing)!! I want one. How do I use it? How much can it hold? Is it light tight? Where can I order one? Good construction? How old is urs? Do u use often? Had any problem with it at all? This should probably be a product review thread and I know I ask plenty questions, but I really like this box.

:grinjoint: It will hold approximately a quarter pound of loose bud on each side of the lower divider with the hydrators, and about an oz or two of spears laid in a single layer on the top tray. This particular humidor is not light tight, in that it has a beveled glass panel in the lid. However, for a stash box, this shouldn't be a problem since the bud is on it's way to ingestion anyway, and it's really cool to look through the glass and see it all loaded up with spears on the top tray. Below the tray, though, is pretty light tight if the top tray is loaded.

You don't have to have your weed wrapped or bagged in this box--it can go in naked and not dry out. I prefer my buds to have a little more moisture in them when I'm ready to smoke, so I generally keep the humidity between 75-80%. This is great if you're constantly opening and closing the lid to get your meds out for use, and is a smoother smoke than something drier. Of course, if you're using the humidor to store your buds long term and it's not opened often, keep it at 70% to make sure nothing molds. 70% is the magic number, anything past that and you may be on the edge of wrecking.

The construction is top notch and it's a weighty box with a soft felt bottom like what you find on expensive chess pieces. Everything fits together well and the lid makes a tight, heavy, and satisfying thump when it's closed. The lid can't be jiggled and is firmly tight--even tighter if locked. It would take an axe to break into it.

How often do I use it? From harvest on, this box is in constant use and totally filled. It's depressing to see it so empty so close to harvest, but what can ya do? I've never ever had a problem with it, though my hydrators are getting old and I have to charge them more often that I used to. That's about all you have to maintain regularly on a humidor--the hydrators. When your humidity starts to dip below 70% on the hygrometer, recharge the hydrators with distilled water. That's it. Very easy. And a charge lasts at least a month or two.

This particular humidor is about 5 years old. I got it on eBay and if you do a search there for humidors you'll find all kinds of really great ones, many of which don't have glass in the top and are totally light tight. Prices vary immensely. Shop well and you'll find the deals.

Greatly appreciated. Will take a look. Would u been interested in having this post moved to the product review page? U've given a very detailed and excellent review. I am satisfied and confident in ur analysis (I will still do my own research tho). Thanks again Irish.

You are very welcome. ;) Feel free to put it anywhere you think it would best be of service, BWC.

There are several online retailers that sell humidors cheap. Holts and Famous Smoke Shop normally have the best prices on humidors.

I keep my weed in one of my humidors. The RH runs about 65%

The thing with a humidor is keeping it in area where the temps generally stay under 70 degrees. If the temps inside it go above 70-75 degrees for more than a few days w/ 65-70% humidity you're going to get a nice case of mold.

I like humidifying beads. You can find them online and in better cigar stores. Not only do they keep humidity up,they absorb excess humidity when needed. It's set and forget with them once you learn how to use them.

Back
Top Bottom