Death by Spider Mites, What do I do?

heyed

New guy here. 2nd grow was going well until the leaves starting turning yellow and following off. A friend said that I had an infestation of spider mites. I then treated the plants, and it seemed to stop them from dieing, although half were already gone. A very small harvest will result, but the whole thing was like sticking a dagger in my heart.

As I prepare to start a new crop,what can be done to prevent this from happening again?

heyed

SNS217 is a great spidermite control...I use it in conjunction with a Martha stewart tip i found.

How to make: Take a cup of the hottest peppers you can find and mix in a blender with two cups of water.

How to apply: Carefully place the resulting mixture into a spray bottle and spray it on the leaves of the plants while being careful not to spray yourself. At first treat only one plant or even just a few leaves; wait two days to see whether the spray injured them.

Why it works: Insects don't like the "hot" in hot peppers (capsaicin), so it repels them.

It sounds a bit picky, but if I come into contact with my outdoor plants (or do any outdoor work) I make sure to take a shower and change clothes before I go into my grow room. Cleanliness, storing my soilless medium in the basement away from outside pests and every day inspection of plants helps a lot on my end.

Thanks. All tips are greatly appreciated. Unfamilliar with SNS217. Will give it a try. I'm goin to beat these bastards if it's the last thing I do on this earth.

heyed

Whatever you pick, get it done. I heard they can hatch every 3 days (rumor) . You can also force them to go dormant by lowering the temp. Mites are like cockroaches. They adapt to their poison. So change it up. No plant comes in my grow room without being treated and being placed into quarantine. Invest $40in a 200X zoom USB microscope . Well worth it. I don't take anyones word for it that their plants are " bug free" . Assume ALL plants have mites because most do.I like to pull everything from my tent and and give it a bleach water treatment at least every few weeks when I do a flush. Damn haha I even put the nozzle from my vacuum in there to get the leaves. I'm sure they suck up bugs too. My wife thinks I'm nuts but haha I'm not infested like I was in my 1st grow. Fucking nightmare.

I promise you that if you go down to home depot and buy 3 sets of pest strips... I only know them by sight, but they are white 2 in a packet with little white hooks and they smell toxic. Hang them for 3 days and say goodbye to those little f-ers. But they will live somewhere and come come back when you flip next so SULFER your room just before you flip always if you want to be sure of total genocide.

Back
Top Bottom