Spider mites

Louiebee123

420 Member
I was wondering how to get rid of spider mites for real. I have a clay pebbles hydro set up and have battled against mutes since the get go. Any advice would be appreciated. I've used an eco oil I found at the hardware store and then tried out kill-a-mite but the leaves haven't responded well each time I do use it. Its either the mites or the mite spray that end up affecting the plants. This last weekend I came and a couple plants were infested with what looked like spider webs around the heads. I sprayed and washed with water and was able to clean up the first tent. Sprayed the third tent also. I got rid of them but my grow spot is an hour away from me and I can't be there every day. Any advice would be much appreciated

Hey Louiebee,

Welcome to 420….

to effectively spray for critterz…. always go up her skirt first

remove from under grow lights. elevate plant to a high table, mix up your potion be sure to shake well and shake often….adjust sprayer to finest mist possible

spray leaf undersides first cuz that’s were spider mites live and attach their eggs, after spraying leaf undersides then spray from top down….

in order to be successful it’s necessary to break their life cycle, one spray session kills most of the adults but more eggs are hatching every few days…. read and understand your product labels

check to ensure foliage is dry before you put them back under lights

One of our sponsors Sierra Natural Science (SNS) makes a plethora of IPM products if you are in North America….

beyond that horticultural soap, Safers Soap, Neem Oil, Spinosad, even oil dormant spray. That Eco oil sounds like a Searles product maybe? If so then it may be similar to Safers Soap which is labelled to be sprayed on at lights out then rinsed off the next evening at lights out. If you drop pic of labels then maybe we can advise better

micronized or wettable sulfur is a plant friendly natural element… it’s a miticide, plus prevents rust, pm and botyritis but sulfur should not be used in conjunction with any oil based products with 2 weeks time frame… else it will burn the plant.

the borg doesn’t play around… I messed up the other week and before I knew it the tops of my cbd chic were covered in webs.…. turned off fans, slipped a bag over her head, cut her throat and tossed in a burn barrel… soil got dumped outside too.

good luck more will jump in later

Hello - Spider Mite is very difficult to totally rid, but you can try to control them and prevent an infestation with our sponsors SNS products
Having said that I would rather take the affected plant out and torch it immediately or the problem could become a perpetual battle - a losing one, so do whatever you have to do to protect the rest of your grow area

Hey Louiebee,

Welcome to 420….

to effectively spray for critterz…. always go up her skirt first

remove from under grow lights. elevate plant to a high table, mix up your potion be sure to shake well and shake often….adjust sprayer to finest mist possible

spray leaf undersides first cuz that’s were spider mites live and attach their eggs, after spraying leaf undersides then spray from top down….

in order to be successful it’s necessary to break their life cycle, one spray session kills most of the adults but more eggs are hatching every few days…. read and understand your product labels

check to ensure foliage is dry before you put them back under lights
It is also a good idea to use different sprays. As 013 said you need to break the life cycle, you need to spray them 3 or more times a week. There are lots of natural products out there. Check out "Lost Coast Plant Therapy" or "Flying Skull Nuke em", also check out what site sponsor @Sierra Natural Science has to offer. I swear by their product SNS-209 soil drench for my weekly IPM.

See if AgroMagen is available where you are. Stuff is amazing.
It’s food grade and worked the best for me. They say not to use it after week 7 in flower.

It is also a good idea to use different sprays. As 013 said you need to break the life cycle, you need to spray them 3 or more times a week. There are lots of natural products out there. Check out "Lost Coast Plant Therapy" or "Flying Skull Nuke em", also check out what site sponsor @Sierra Natural Science has to offer. I swear by their product SNS-209 soil drench for my weekly IPM.
And don't forget to add a surfactant or wetting agent to the spray mixture...

I recommend a neem solution with a little bit of pure orange oil (limonene) added, in a 1 gal. pump sprayer. So, 2 TBS neem oil, 1 TBS Bronner's peppermint soap, around 20 drops of limonene, 1 gal water. Shake well. I use pure food grade limonene from Florida. It's a very potent insecticide, but if you use too much, it will burn your leaves. I'm saying 20 drops to be conservative, but you can experiment w/ more by spraying an area to see how the plant tolerates it.

What's your source for that statement? I'd like to read it, can't find anything in the literature about it.
Spinosad is not publicly saleable in Canada, I found out the hard way why. On another cannabis forum I asked about Spinosad and was told it was a toxic poison and to stay away from it without further explanation, I did not. The use of Spinosad caused abnormal bone growth all over my upper spine. I had fallen and was unable to stand and dragged myself across the flour for 5 weeks, I was paralyzed from the waist down before i had to face up to the fact I was not healing and had to be hospitalized. I had spinal surgery and except for the top joint in my neck the rest of my upper spine is now fused. The MRI, CT scan and X-rays scans. An authority told me about the connection to Spinosad and the naming scheme. There is no joke, I will never again be the same man I once was. This is why i have been absent from 420 Magazine for the past several years. I do not recommend coming into contact or consuming any material treated with Spinosad. Head my warning or plan for your own paralysis. This is your warning!

Woah! I know that Spinosad (pronounced Spin-o-sid) is certified for organic farming in the U.S., and is derived from a soil bacteria. It's supposed to be a lot less toxic than other pesticides, to humans and pets. People use it here in Hawaii to kill the little fire ant. @KingJohnC Did it get into your system from smoking? Did you spray the buds? How much did you spray? Very sorry to hear this. How are you doing now?

Washington state, 2015:
"Of the 252 growers in the state that have been monitored, only six were found to be violating pesticide laws, and only two of those resulted in fines—both of which were for the use of spinosad..."

Woah! I know that Spinosad (pronounced Spin-o-sid) is certified for organic farming in the U.S., and is derived from a soil bacteria. It's supposed to be a lot less toxic than other pesticides, to humans and pets. People use it here in Hawaii to kill the little fire ant. @KingJohnC Did it get into your system from smoking? Did you spray the buds? How much did you spray? Very sorry to hear this. How are you doing now?
Repeatedly someone I no longer associate with would work in his garden for 6 + hours and immediately then sit in from of the High Pressure Sodium light in his grow cabinet watching his cannabis plants for the next 40+ minutes and would then come to my home wearing the same fruit fly, thrips and fungus gnat covered clothing or bring an ornamental plant infested with same insects into my home and repeatedly again and again infested my home with their pestilence. I have tried many different pesticides in attempts to rid these pestilent insects from my cannabis plants. Based on the USA aproval claims of the benign nature of Spinosad I had used a product name Monterey garden spray with Spinosad which at great trouble I had to import into Canada. Over the years I have sprayed multiple gallons both in vegetative growth and flowerr attempting to rid this pestilent plague from my cannabis plants. The buds I have harvested after using the Monterey garden spray with Spinosad were all toxic and at cause either smoked or vaporized. This Spinosad exposure ended my pets life when the pet became paralyzed and succumbed.

The subject of my health would require great and in depth details I would not care to go into.

OK, I understand. I just read about a cat that was treated with spinosad for fleas (?) and the pesticide interacted with a drug and the cat suffered from some neurological issues, but apparently recovered. Funny thing is, that cat was a Tonkinese, and we have Tonkinese cats! Weird coincidence. I'm wishing you well, and thanks for your contributions on this forum. :peace:

Wow KingJohn, please accept my sincere apologies. I thought you were making a word play on the phonetic sounds of pronouncing it. Yes sir - what you have experienced is no laughing matter.

I’ve used this chemical in the past and I have a full container of it unopened which will be returned to Tractor Supply.

Thanks for sharing this information!!!

Back
Top Bottom