Decarb Question

I've seen this chart before. Would using mason jars affect the time/temp ratios?

I'd imagine you'd have to give it an extra five minutes to let the heat get through the glass.

i decarb using my insta pot and mason jars - put the lid on mason jar hand tight - fill insta pot till it covers about 1/4 of mason jars (not enough to make them float) - put lid on and set it on high pressure and cook for 40 minutes (high THC) and then a quick release - 50 minutes for high CBD

my insta pot setting for high pressure is exactly 240 degrees F automatically - it don't smell up the house and its set it and forget it

Leave in jar until cool and it vacuum seals then I put that in freezer overnight and make oil the next day
Why freeze it?

When making wine, freezing the fruit breaks down the cell walls, allowing more juice and flavor to come out. Is it the same here?

Just a quick thought.

The longer you leave your biomass in the solvent, the more plant fats/lipids and waxes that are washed off the plant. So, the longer you soak it, the more crap you wind up with. Using cold ethanol and soaking the biomass for a couple of minutes before straining leaves less than .5% thc in the refuse. Note, ethanol was at -85f.

check this link - it has a decarb temp/time chart

Keep mind, that chart is is meant for hexane extracts, in an open heat reactor, not necessarily meant for buds. I think they used it slightly out of context. Its from the Journal of Chromatography (1990). Also, its focus is THC decarb, so there isn't mention that when you jack up the heat for the shorter period of time, you blow off some of the desirables that vaporize between 110c and 145c (B-Caryophyllene and B-Sitosterol).

I'm realizing that I made a slight mistake in my tincture recipe. I used 3 cups of Grave and 1.6 ounces of Dark Angel (17% thc +/-). I figured the machine would reduce it down to two cups, but I have it set at 130 degrees. Alcohol boils away at about 170.

I guess my gummies won't be as strong as I hoped.

I've gone from making tinctures at home to using decarbed herb (weed or Keif) as a spice or flavoring. I know my dose is 0.5tsp finely ground weed or 0.25tsp Keif.

I mix with scrambled eggs when making an omelet for a great wake & bake.

Pull apart an Oreo and top the creme with herb. Put the cookie top back on and twist gently to spread. Eat and enjoy. This AM I frosted a cookie with herb frosting. I had made the frosting a few days ago and pulled it from the fridge.

I think I've seen too many "Bong Appetit's"

Back
Top Bottom