Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

Re: Stealth Hydroponics Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

I don't Think its algae I have tried all preventive measures to try to avoid. I woke up this morning before work and some of the leaves look a little stronger and having more support after the flush I did last night also I had added last night 1/4 nutes. Well so it seems like it is improving just a little bit to me .hopefully when I get off from work I will see more of improvement or worse. Roseman any input?

I don't Think its algae I have tried all preventive measures to try to avoid. I woke up this morning before work and some of the leaves look a little stronger and having more support after the flush I did last night also I had added last night 1/4 nutes. Well so it seems like it is improving just a little bit to me .hopefully when I get off from work I will see more of improvement or worse. Roseman any input?

Yoy need to do the 8 step recovery found in Rosemans Tutorial sounds like you got funky water i keep 10-15 ml of H202 in my res during my last grow as
a preventive and had no problems from then on :goodluck:

I have been following the eight step recovery I flushed last night but with out the peroxide if condition is worse or same when I get home I will try it with the peroxide. Also if I was to put peroxide in tank than drain than repeat, however when I re-fill do I put any peroxide in the tank and let it stay in there or should there be NO PEROXIDE in tank when I complete the drain and fill.sorry for any confusion.

I think it was the cold water you used, instead of room temp water. I think it will appear much better today, as I posted in your thread.

btw, NEW Algae can be fought with two tablespoons of 3% peroxide per gallon of water, added to the tank and left there.

Yea I'm thinking cold water also put them in shock but the color of leaves I'm trying to figure out why. So last night I flushed it with room temp water. Ill should give it time to kick in and let nature run its course. However if it is nute burn would that affect the life of plants even if it is corrected?

Yea I'm thinking cold water also put them in shock but the color of leaves I'm trying to figure out why. So last night I flushed it with room temp water. Ill should give it time to kick in and let nature run its course. However if it is nute burn would that affect the life of plants even if it is corrected?

I got nute burn on my 2nd grow so bad that every leaf fell off. I had 6 naked sticks sticking up about 6 inches tall. I did the 8 step recovry and within a week, they sprouted and within 2 weeks, they were very healthy.

Your will not be that bad and will bounce back faster.

Pardon me if this was asked already I've looked at sooo many threads tonight... but at what point do you remove the feeder drip tubes into the net pots butted up to the rockwool cubes and water pump from bubble buckets?

Is it when the roots start to touch the water in the buckets, or never?

Pardon me if this was asked already I've looked at sooo many threads tonight... but at what point do you remove the feeder drip tubes into the net pots butted up to the rockwool cubes and water pump from bubble buckets?

Is it when the roots start to touch the water in the buckets, or never?

I remove the feder tubes when the roots are 3 or 4 inches in the water, around the 3rd or 4th week. I used to clean the filter in the water pump then too but now I remove it and replace it with 2 plastic net pan scrubbers..

What's a net pan scrubber?

Some say Nylon, some say plastic, but they make great replacement filters for the water pumps.

Pot_pan_scrubber.jpg

Pan_Scrubber.jpg

To some growers, Deep Water Culture simply means growing with BUBBLES, by using a DWC and Airstones.

Technically, Deep Water Culture is a trade-marked registered word owned by Martin Wiggett, an innovator in Hydroponics. It means using a submersive water pump feeding Oxegen, Water and Nutirents to each individual grow cup via 1/4 plastic tubes. An average of 250 new growers buy and use this system every week as growing medical marijuana becomes legal across America. These new growers are looking for advice and help on using this sytstem, and this thread is dedicated to those new growers.

Q & A?

Hi roseman, wanna thank you SO SO much for that kick ass tutorial. I got the Deep Water Culture kit with an unreadable assemby cd.I followed your instructions to a T. Just got my seeds in today.Going to do a grow journal of course, Ive got my lighting,,,but what are the times to set for light and dark when I first start the grow?Im going to leave them on for 24/7 until they sprout,,ty

Hi roseman, wanna thank you SO SO much for that kick ass tutorial. I got the Deep Water Culture kit with an unreadable assemby cd.I followed your instructions to a T. Just got my seeds in today.Going to do a grow journal of course, Ive got my lighting,,,but what are the times to set for light and dark when I first start the grow?Im going to leave them on for 24/7 until they sprout,,ty

I've been away a few days, and sorry I missed this post.

It is arguable and debatable, but I always use 24/7 lights in VEG, always.

AND WELCOME TO 420, I hope you hang aroud and join the Deep Water Culture.

Hey Roseman,

I LOVE your tutorial and thank you very much for it. +rep

If you take a look at my signature link, I'm in the process of a PC grow and I'm having some heat issues that have induced two bouts of root rot. So I've decided to go with a control bucket and a top feed drip system to keep my temps down.

If you could take a quick look at that and give me your opinion on the size control bucket I should use and what components realistically I would need for something this small. I am bound & determined to make this work with hydro. I know too many people that have had success with these and produced impressive yields for such a small grow space.

I'm planning on going to the hydro store today or tomorrow at the latest and would pick up the components then.

Thanks a million :thanks:

Hi,

My buddy has a bucket with one plant in it. It's been on 12/12 for 20 days now and there is no sign of sex in sight. Every time he thinks he sees girly parts they turn into more leaves. No boy parts either. Also no pictures, sorry.

It's a huge strong plant that's over two feet tall and mature at 49 days old. No sign of health probs, nute burn, nothing. Temps are getting a little cool at night, like 72 F, but staying around 80 F in the lights on cycle. It's probably too humid, but he can't keep it cool any other way than with wet newspaper under the fans. Techniflora BC nutes under the directions that came with them, not the method in Roseman's tutorial.

Thanks

Hello Roseman, I think I have found the right thread to post my question.:thumb:

Again because I've read so much of your words I feel like we are already acquainted, and again many, many, thanks. Your threads as saved my first time rookie mistakes more times than I care to admit to ha ha.

I might also say eased a little anxiety from time to time..:thanks: as well.
Had I read your Tutorial before I purchased my AeroGarden I would not have but, I did so to complete this grow I have used your tutorial as my guide..

OK my question:

I started with 5 plants, 7 holes. AG res very small very, got thru veg, only 4 weeks, I've a small cabinet, ended up with 2 females...( Just as you predicted ).

So I cut out the males, trimmed the roots and got some much needed room back in the res..

My problem is the PPM is rising in the res since the clipping. I rinsed the res cleaned it well and gently rinsed the roots as well.

There are no visual signs of stress, roots and res smell clean and fresh, plants still drinking just about the same amount close to a gallon a day.

They haven't seemed to have any ill effect from cutting the roots that I can see.

But PPM starts at 750 in clean flushed res couple of days later its 1350.
during veg I could watch it go down as they fed, now its backwards..

Thanks again :peace:

Hello Roseman, I think I have found the right thread to post my question.:thumb:

Again because I've read so much of your words I feel like we are already acquainted, and again many, many, thanks. Your threads as saved my first time rookie mistakes more times than I care to admit to ha ha.

I might also say eased a little anxiety from time to time..:thanks: as well.
Had I read your Tutorial before I purchased my AeroGarden I would not have but, I did so to complete this grow I have used your tutorial as my guide..

OK my question:

I started with 5 plants, 7 holes. AG res very small very, got thru veg, only 4 weeks, I've a small cabinet, ended up with 2 females...( Just as you predicted ).

So I cut out the males, trimmed the roots and got some much needed room back in the res..

My problem is the PPM is rising in the res since the clipping. I rinsed the res cleaned it well and gently rinsed the roots as well.

There are no visual signs of stress, roots and res smell clean and fresh, plants still drinking just about the same amount close to a gallon a day.

They haven't seemed to have any ill effect from cutting the roots that I can see.

But PPM starts at 750 in clean flushed res couple of days later its 1350.
during veg I could watch it go down as they fed, now its backwards..

Thanks again :peace:

I'm so glad to welcome you here and I wish I knew the answer to your question. I've been on grow sites for 4 full years and never seen this question or issue.

IF the ppm goes up, then something is being added to the water, OR what I think it is, is the amount of water is going down as they drink, leaving a higher concentration of nutes or a higher ppm.
If that is happening, if the plants are drinking water and not eating the nutes, causing the ppm to rise, then you are getting or have NUTRITIONAL LOCKOUT.

Nutritional Lockout
Allow me to GIVE you a simplified definition of NUTRIONAL LOCKOUT.Can you imagine sitting a plate before a child at dinner time, with his most favorite food, hot dogs, ketchup and french fries? But also on the plate is a major portion of steamed broccoli, which he is just not fond of and insists on nibbling on. Now imagine telling that child, "you can not eat the hot dog and fries if you do not eat all the broccoli too". NUTRITIONAL LOCKOUT is when the child responds with "well then, I just won't eat!"

Do a Drain and Replinish, look here:

https://www.420magazine.com/communi...ture-tutorial-sh-kit-diy-9.111069/#post970955

Thanks Roseman, I'll check out lock out treads..
I have nothing but gratitude for your thoughts and time.
I have my Deep Water Culture setup ready to go for the next grow I guess I'll start some time next week in a little veg chamber I did. Too many offspring and guest's in and out of the residence. Stealth is a priority.. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING !!

Hello!
I'm from Mexico and I started to grow this year. First I start with Autoflowering strain Red Dwarf from Budha Seeds in soil, but I was always very curious about hydro growing, but at first seems very complicated to me and in the way of reading and reading and reading and learn I found the Roseman's Deep Water Culture DIY Tutorial and then I understand all the stuff. Even with my poor english knowledge (sorry about that). Next thing I know I was learning a lot of english language and a lot of Deep Water Culture. My girlfriend and I start with Bubbles last sunday, putting on 3 clones of the actual soil growing.

Today they have 3 days on the DIY system:
1663532112707.png

The Deep Water Culture mexican edition DIY with the feeder tubes, water pump, aire pump, cups DIY, hydroton, (the clones are in jiffys) I forgot to make a hole for the waterpump wire:
10dmayo2010089.jpg

My closet converted in a grow:
10dmayo2010052.jpg

Left: Deep Water Culture with 3 clones of Kush, Center 2 little rooms of veggin in soil, up: 4 seeds starting to grow of a mexican bagseed of strain called "Verde Limon", down: 2 clones of the first grow, 1 seed growing ICE of Nirvana Seeds femenized, and the other are the same Verde Limon vegging.

Flowering section:
10dmayo2010062.jpg

3 Autoflowerin red dwarf in the two last week of flowering with a Kush with 1 week flowering. (The mother of the clones)

I really hope to have success in that Deep Water Culture system, I will change all my closet soil grow into Deep Water Culture grow for sure and become myself in a Deep Water Culture! hehe

My question. The clones had 3 days in the system, I don't see roots showing off yet. When I must to start to feed them?

Light for them: 3 65watts CFLS
Temps: 77-80 F Water: 75
pH: 5.8
EC: I don't know, my meters is on its way. Bought it in ebay

I think I can start to feed them when the roots show off with 1/4 of the nutes. What do you think people?
How long it takes to show roots from a clone in Deep Water Culture?

Cheers to all!

PS Sorry my bad english :S I hope you understand my speech

Hello!
I'm from Mexico and I started to grow this year. First I start with Autoflowering strain Red Dwarf from Budha Seeds in soil, but I was always very curious about hydro growing, but at first seems very complicated to me and in the way of reading and reading and reading and learn I found the Roseman's Deep Water Culture DIY Tutorial and then I understand all the stuff. Even with my poor english knowledge (sorry about that). Next thing I know I was learning a lot of english language and a lot of Deep Water Culture. My girlfriend and I start with Bubbles last sunday, putting on 3 clones of the actual soil growing.

Today they have 3 days on the DIY system:
1663532095505.png

The Deep Water Culture mexican edition DIY with the feeder tubes, water pump, aire pump, cups DIY, hydroton, (the clones are in jiffys) I forgot to make a hole for the waterpump wire:
10dmayo2010089.jpg

My closet converted in a grow:
10dmayo2010052.jpg

Left: Deep Water Culture with 3 clones of Kush, Center 2 little rooms of veggin in soil, up: 4 seeds starting to grow of a mexican bagseed of strain called "Verde Limon", down: 2 clones of the first grow, 1 seed growing ICE of Nirvana Seeds femenized, and the other are the same Verde Limon vegging.

Flowering section:
10dmayo2010062.jpg

3 Autoflowerin red dwarf in the two last week of flowering with a Kush with 1 week flowering. (The mother of the clones)

I really hope to have success in that Deep Water Culture system, I will change all my closet soil grow into Deep Water Culture grow for sure and become myself in a Deep Water Culture! hehe

My question. The clones had 3 days in the system, I don't see roots showing off yet. When I must to start to feed them?

Light for them: 3 65watts CFLS
Temps: 77-80 F Water: 75
pH: 5.8
EC: I don't know, my meters is on its way. Bought it in ebay

I think I can start to feed them when the roots show off with 1/4 of the nutes. What do you think people?
How long it takes to show roots from a clone in Deep Water Culture?

Cheers to all!

PS Sorry my bad english :S I hope you understand my speech

1st, your english is fine, really very good, and 2, welcome to 420, bro, I'm so glad you joined us.
I hope you join the Deep Water Culture too.

Clones should be fed 1/4 nutes after you see two to 3 inches of roots. Until then,y ou can foiliage feed them, by misting the leaves with water and 1/4 strenght nutes.

If the cups are being fed, you should see tiny roots in about 5 or 6 days.

Back
Top Bottom