Difference between auto flower & fem?

Fuzzy1981

what are the benefits and drawbacks of feminized and auto flower compared to each other? back during when i did my first grow in 2000 i hadn't heard of auto flower, i just took some seeds out of a really good bag and grew them. that was my first and only grow until now. since my state legalized it for recreational use i figured what the heck i'll give it another go. i get that auto flower flowers on its own with out switching the light schedule and that feminized seeds are female. im just wondering why some prefer one over the other.

Control is the major difference. You have more control over what is going to happen with the feminized seeds. They can be vegged as long as you need.
Another major difference is how you want to grow. If you want a perpetual thing then Auto's do better. With them you can leave the lights the same. Move plants in and harvest as plants are done. You can't flower feminized seeds with the light time autos need.
Autos will flower in the light times of a feminized photo strain. They will not produce as well in those situations. It is hard to do both at the same time and do them both right.

At least now Autoflower strains are strong enough to even make it a decision. There was a time when it wasn't even a choice. Autoflower strains can be helpful but there are more downfalls to them. If you get a great Autoflower plant you are limited to what you can do with it. Mothering a autoflower won't work they can't be kept in veg.

Things to consider.
Grow space
Light type
Strain preference
Grow style

Lots more little things will affect your decision. Major thing if you want to find a great mother and grow a certain strain you are going to need a photo strain to do it. Nothing wrong with growing from seed. In this case you would just have to purchase more seeds each grow.

Photo and Autos...that is the question

Jack nailed it, control of the entire process in photos.... Autos just do what they do on their own

I've never grown an auto :hmmmm: and usually the only beans I have are reg beans from a fantastic mistake I made when I first started growing...I do have a couple White Widows from CKS in my journal but no autos. I'm too cheap :rofl: and like to clone my girls :slide: but would take a couple if they were free :hug:

Thats like me. They may not be bad but all my genetics are photoperiod strains. Way to much cost to change everything over. Tried a Auto grow once for the hell of it with freebies. They all died, My be a sign LMAO.

They all died, maybe be a sign LMAO
I have had autos not pop in the same soil that photos pop...there are many similar experiences shared here...it takes a little practice and the attitude of not sweating losing a seed. I love them for my perpetual because once dialed in they are easy...

I've never had an issue with any Auto popping over photos, all my autos popped

But like any strain or breeder seeds it's always possy

More and more I am finding seeds that just don't pop. Even seeds that pop and have a cute white tail and that is it. This goes with autos, photos, strains. Even from well known breeders. Regular strains do not seem to be affected quite as bad. I don't think they are rushed as much.

This is NEW trust me. The seed industry wouldn't have survived if results were like this back in the day. It has only been since things went the through the roof strain wise that I started seeing problems. With all these new legal places companies are trying to do too much too fast.

Control is the major difference. You have more control over what is going to happen with the feminized seeds. They can be vegged as long as you need.
Another major difference is how you want to grow. If you want a perpetual thing then Auto's do better. With them you can leave the lights the same. Move plants in and harvest as plants are done. You can't flower feminized seeds with the light time autos need.
Autos will flower in the light times of a feminized photo strain. They will not produce as well in those situations. It is hard to do both at the same time and do them both right.

At least now Autoflower strains are strong enough to even make it a decision. There was a time when it wasn't even a choice. Autoflower strains can be helpful but there are more downfalls to them. If you get a great Autoflower plant you are limited to what you can do with it. Mothering a autoflower won't work they can't be kept in veg.

Things to consider.
Grow space
Light type
Strain preference
Grow style

Lots more little things will affect your decision. Major thing if you want to find a great mother and grow a certain strain you are going to need a photo strain to do it. Nothing wrong with growing from seed. In this case you would just have to purchase more seeds each grow.
that is very interesting, and very helpful. i hadn't even considered the perpetual grow side to it. but it does make perfect sense. thank you for the very informative read.

I will try and find it. I'm like you. Knowing something can be done and doing it are 2 different things LOL.

I am a big fan of Critical. I have a great fruity pheno selfed.

Back
Top Bottom