Discolored & Droopy Leaves

the1culturist

Hey guys!

I need some help diagnosing a problem.

Over the last few days two of my girls (HSOs Green Crack & Lost Coast Hashplant) have started to become slightly more pale and just noticed today that the leaves have begun to droop a bit.

They're 2 days shy of being in the rDWC setup for 2 weeks. They were initially fed 25% of veg a/b nutrients, after a week I did a res change and because some of the tips were very slightly burned, I just went up to 33% veg a/b nutrients instead of the planned 50%. This morning (4 days after last res change and nute increase) I added veg a/b up to a total of 40% the recommended dose.

Strain - (4) Green Crack
Strain - (2) Lost Coast Hashplant
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Early Veg
Setup - rDWC
Light - 1000 Watt Kind LED (32" above plants)
Nutrients - Optimum Hydronponics
Medium - Rapid Rooter in net pots with hydroton
PPM - 255
PH - 5.9
RH - 30% to 80%, but usually 40%-60%
Room Temperature - 76 to 80 during the day
Room Temperature - 70 to 74 at night
Solution Temperature - 70 to 73
Room Square Footage - 25
Pests - None Known

Everything appears to check out, what's the deal??

The only thing I could think it might be is the water level could be a tiny bit above the bottom of the net pot so the rapid rooter could be saturated.

What do you think? :)

1662966545129.png

1662966590315.png

1662966619160.png

Someone will come along. The ph seems high and the ppm seems low, idk. looks hungry.

Thanks for the reply Dean.

I believe the ph should be between 5.8-6.2ish, I might be a bit low and should bump up to 6.1 for veg.

Agreed, the ppm is lower than I expected at 2.5 weeks in, but the tips were burning after the first nute feed at 25% dose. Also, my base PPM of just the RO water before adding anything is only at 25ppm. Tonight I'll try bumping the nutes up another 10% or so to 50% dose.

Thanks!

low nutes, also do they have enough air in the water?

Thanks for the reply Jimmy.

Good call, I just bumped up the nutrient level to a 50% dose up from 40%.

I have two air pumps running at the same time, so each 5gal bucket in the system has 2 air stones each. :thumb:

On a side note, after googling I couldnt find a relevant answer, typically how long after feeding will nutrient burn become visible? 3 days?

Hey the1culturist

I run DWC exclusively and might be able to help you.

Your plants do look hungry.

PH for DWC should be 5.7 - 5.9 for best results. PH down to 5.7 and let it drift to 5.9. This drift should happen over the space of 2 - 3 days. If the PH rises much faster than this it means your EC / PPM is too low. If you find the PH dropping while the EC / PPM rises, it means your nutrient concentration is too high.

You say your PPM is at 255 but it is more helpful if you can give your measurements in EC as PPM does not mean the same thing for everybody, check out this chart :)

ppmChart-med.jpg

When my girls were the size of yours I was feeding an EC of 1.0, you should be able to tell what PPM that is based on whatever meter you have weather it is on the 0.5 conversion or the 0.7

I hope this helped you out

GreenFingers

Hey GreenFingers, thanks for the in-depth reply, I appreciate it!

I don't really understand the chart though, the three middle columns are different TDS/EC meters. Is this saying their ppm readings will differ based on their EC readings?

I have a HM Digital TDS/EC meter which reads the EC at 0.6 and a ppm at 308 (since I added more nutrients last night).

Should I bump the nutrient up further to reach an EC of 1.0 which should equal about 600ppm, effectively doubling the current levels?

Thanks! :D

Since bumping up nutrients 3 days ago and then again last night, the leaf edges have begun to curl upwards.

I'm thinking its the result of heat stress? Even though the XL1000 LED light is 32" above the plants.

1662927048578.png

1662927060105.png

1662927072914.png

1662927083361.png

Hey GreenFingers, thanks for the in-depth reply, I appreciate it!

I don't really understand the chart though, the three middle columns are different TDS/EC meters. Is this saying their ppm readings will differ based on their EC readings?

I have a HM Digital TDS/EC meter which reads the EC at 0.6 and a ppm at 308 (since I added more nutrients last night).

Should I bump the nutrient up further to reach an EC of 1.0 which should equal about 600ppm, effectively doubling the current levels?

Thanks! :D

No problem the1culturist :)

It is saying that PPM meters measure in EC and then convert to PPM. The problem with this is that different PPM metres have different conversion scales meaning when people post their nutrient concentration in PPM it does not mean the same thing for everybody.

Having different conversion factors between differing manufacturers is why we have this problem communicating nutrient measurments between one another.

EC is universal, so if you have a PPM metre and convert to EC based on your conversion scale it will mean the same thing to everyone else. You can see on the chart a 1000 PPM reading from a Hanna ( .5 Conversion ) is equal to 1400 PPM on a Truncheon ( .7 Conversion ) while the EC is 2.0 for both.

If you do not want to post in EC you will need to say that your PPM is ??? on the 0.5/0.6/0.7 scale

I think you understand it though, yes EC 1.0 should be a good place to have them :)

You should start a journal so that people can follow help you out along the way :)

GreenFingers

About the leaf edges curling

It can be a sign that your Humidity is too low / heat stress.

Low humidity or heat stress causes more potassium to be needed, lack of which causes leaf curling

Or it can be an indication of a magnesium deficiency, but the leaves would have to be ''praying'' Purple stems are also a sign of lack of mag.

I think she is still only showing signs of deficiency's, You will know you have gone too far with nutes if PH drops rapidly or if your leaves go very dark and you begin getting tip burn

GreenFingers

About the leaf edges curling

It can be a sign that your Humidity is too low / heat stress.

Low humidity or heat stress causes more potassium to be needed, lack of which causes leaf curling

Or it can be an indication of a magnesium deficiency, but the leaves would have to be ''praying'' Purple stems are also a sign of lack of mag.

Hey man, thanks again! I will start up a grow guide :D

When I came back home tonight the leaves on a couple were starting to pray and i noticed for the first time that some stems were purple! Good call! I went out, got some cal mag plus and added it to the res. We'll see what effect that has on them in the next day or two.

I've been using reverse osmosis water and I've read that its a common deficiency to have when using RO.

1661633627715.png

If you have the room raise the light to 36". Won't hurt them if you do and you can see if that's the solution.

Edit: I read to start that XL1000 at 4 feet and then lower from there.

Thanks Dean! I started at 50" and then moved down to 30" last week. I've just bumped the light up to 36", we'll see how they respond. :D

Hey man, thanks again! I will start up a grow guide :D

When I came back home tonight the leaves on a couple were starting to pray and i noticed for the first time that some stems were purple! Good call! I went out, got some cal mag plus and added it to the res. We'll see what effect that has on them in the next day or two.

I've been using reverse osmosis water and I've read that its a common deficiency to have when using RO.

Ah perfect I'd say RO water lacking minerals was the cause, I have to use cal/mag even though I use tap water, my tap water is quite soft though, only EC 0.15

When choosing a cal/mag supplement always choose the one with the least Nitrogen as the extra N can become a problem in flower. I use GHE Cali/Magic and discuss my ratios and stuff in my journal ( Blue Link in Signature )

I would also not use the recommended amount on the bottle, maybe a 1/4 dose considering your girl is quite small

Keep up the good work I look forward to them picking back up :)

Link to your journal here if you start one so that we can sub in

GreenFingers

Awesome, thanks for the help, much appreciated :D

Theres so much to learn!

I'm looking forward to them picking back up too. I've begun a grow journal at this LINK!

Great I'll follow along :)

There really is an endless amount of things to discover, it is an exciting journey

You should check out my journal at the blue link in my signature, I describe every step i take running the girls in DWC, it might be helpful information for you

GreenFingers

Absolutely man, I'm planning on sitting down later tonight and going through your journal.

You're right, there really is an endless amount to learn! I'm excited to be on this journey especially after so much prior research.

:D

Back
Top Bottom