Does seed size matter?

Sueet

Idk if this is an faq q or not, haha, but ... I have a tiny plant I let grow outside to see how it would do on its own. Recently I harvested a bud to see if it was worth my time to harvest the rest - The plant is small, the flowers on it are relatively small, but somehow this tiny bud had a giant seed in it. It's like 1.5x the normal seed size. Does it mean it's a strong, good, or special seed? Or maybe that something is wrong with it?

Just wondering what is the conventional feeling on such, or if there is actual data about it.
Here is a pic of the seed with what I thought was a pretty normal size seed from all that I've seen before.

Dang neighbors growin' boys apparently >.>

20211014_230624.jpg

Just wondering what is the conventional feeling on such, ...
Generally, I have always been under the impression that larger seeds are more mature and healthier, and as a result are more likely to germinate. Because of the larger size the cotyledons are larger and have more stored sugars, etc for the developing seedling.

Dang neighbors growin' boys apparently >.>
More often than not it is a male flower hidden in among the smaller female buds. If it is a single male flower they are not all that easy to see.

I pulled that plant today, she has LOTS of seeds (and no visible boy parts), so - back to throwin' raspberries at the neighbors for growing boys :D

Most of them seem to be normal sized, so I'm going to save this big fat one, I was thinking maybe to try to grow it out to be a mother plant, instead of flowering it immediately - that way I can have the pleasure of growing it without the worry of what to do with the flowers.

Who knows, but hoping maybe the father has great genetics and I'll be lucky to have the seeds<3

if there's a hemp farm around it may not be the neighbours.

in the past i thought commercial hemp would not seed a regular cannabis plant, but i've heard of others having issues in places commercial hemp farming happens. in many instances the farms are miles and miles away, it's thought the pollen can move that far on wind currents.

I'm basically smack dab in the middle of Detroit, I doubt there are any farms like that close to me, but I have lots of neighbors :D
I sure hope it turns out to be a good daddy and not some unsmokable hemp fella ;)

eta: Does anyone know if female pollen travels as well as/as far as male? I assume it does, as pollen is pollen right? So I guess the daddy could be someone's girl gone too far or something. No way to know anything about it except to grow it I guess.

My brother got a seed the size of a lemon seed years ago. He tried sprouting it and nothing.

My outdoor plants had some seeds this year, not many just a few. I have a hard time believing the pollen made it to my plants. I'm surrounded by woods. My guess is it was from a stray insect for mine. If you have a lot, then it must have been fairly close.

Just my opinion.

Holy moly, the size of a lemon seed, that must have been something to see!

Yea I'm guessing it had to be relatively close just because of the ridiculous amount of rain we have had this year - leaving only small windows for the pollen to travel around.

Holy moly, the size of a lemon seed, that must have been something to see!

Yea I'm guessing it had to be relatively close just because of the ridiculous amount of rain we have had this year - leaving only small windows for the pollen to travel around.
It was massive compared to a normal seed. It came from a random brick weed bag back in the late 70's. When he showed me he had it next to a lemon seed and it was very close to the same size. To bad we didn't have cell phones for pics back then. LOL

I live on the other side of the state and yeah been a crazy wet year. I get wind can carry pollen a long way but to make it through woods and rain... Yeah It had to be close for you. Being in the middle of a city I can see wind carrying pollen many blocks or more.

I pulled that plant today, she has LOTS of seeds (and no visible boy parts), so - back to throwin' raspberries at the neighbors for growing boys :D

Most of them seem to be normal sized, so I'm going to save this big fat one, I was thinking maybe to try to grow it out to be a mother plant, instead of flowering it immediately - that way I can have the pleasure of growing it without the worry of what to do with the flowers.

Who knows, but hoping maybe the father has great genetics and I'll be lucky to have the seeds<3
I once had some Hawaiian grown pot with huge seeds (said to be from Viet Nam originally)back in 1968. It was the best pot I ever have grown and I did everything wrong and knew nothing, not even when to harvest it and took it young and immature. I don't know if the size was the reason or just great genetics or environmental issues, growing it outside in compost from a hollow rotten tree. But I would surely try and find out how good the big seed is! I have never seen seed that big again. Very small seed often fails to germinate or grows weak seedlings that struggle to make a crop. Large seeds usually pop fast and grow strong all other things equal but the pot may be hemp like sometimes. Large seed size does not equal good pot always.

Back
Top Bottom