Droopy girl: water?

Chris you’ve said your problem was heat and humidity, then you said dryness, now you’re saying cold. You’ve had multiple well known and well versed growers tell you overwatering. When you have an overwatering Issue it looks like very many other issues all at once because it symptomatically is multiple issues. Too much water creates multiples knock on effects that you cannot fix until your watering is fixed. A basic understanding of plant and root growth will tell you this.

You’re in hard sided pots which as @Bill284 stated means you’re going to go a long time in between waterings.. If you read @Emilya Green post on how to water a potted plant you’ll see that in some instances, it can take WEEKS before the medium is dry enough again for watering. In a pot that size, with your temp and humidity fluctuations there’s no doubt in my mind it’s staying wet in between your Waterings. 5-6 days in a pot that size not in flower is far too much water. It’s very hard to say anything definitively about other grows but I can definitively say you’re overwatering by the information and pictures you’ve provided us.

Your plants are showing every single sign of overwatering from papery swollen leaves to droop no matter what. This is being exacerbated by your temperatures.. Your plants cannot consume the volumes of water you’re giving them in the time frames you’re giving them for multiple reasons.. they’re too cold to heat up enough to work their hardest. Your forced heat and humidity problem is causing layers of your pot to dry out making you believe it’s ready when it’s not. If lifting a pot is too difficult I highly suggest a water meter or switching to a SIP.

I can also tell you that when lifting the pot it should be almost as light as it was before you even put the medium in there.. Plants don’t weigh that much when they’re the size you have them so the pots should be extremely light when they’re ready.

If you’re still in doubt about whether or not it’s overwatered look at this picture:
F219D00C-802B-4604-9B52-DA9179084FFC.jpeg

This is exactly what your plants look like and this is an overwatered plant. I know that because it was mine and it did the same thing you’re describing until I learned how to properly cycle the plant between wet and dry. Unless you’re growing a TLO/LOS style you’ve got dialed in perfectly, you’re going to want to wet dry cycle.. Even then, people like @StoneOtter who run LOS styles still do wet dry cycles.

This is overwatering.. You may have other issues but it will be almost impossible to tell until you fix the overwatering. I’ll give just a bit of info on that, plants control their rhizosphere.. they can control the PH of their root zone to take in the nutrients they need.. Oxygen is one of those nutrients. When your medium is waterlogged in the rhizosphere plants cannot effectively change the PH to take the nutrients in, not only that, they have no access to oxygen. Couple this with the fact that you’re growing a plant that aggressively chases down minor amounts of water, but you’re giving it constant access to overwhelming amounts, and you’ve got a big lazy plant that cannot breathe or eat.

Normally I’d be a little more reserved in my wording but you’ve had some of the best growers in this place tell you what your issue is and you seem to be fighting them on it for some reason. I know you don’t want to believe it’s overwatering.. I didn’t want to either, until I bought a water meter and sat next to my plant with this thread:

I'm not trying to fight with people who are far more advanced growers than me. But the fact I could in my weakened state lift her leeds me to think she is dry... but it is also cold, 0 percent humidity, I'm blowing hot air into her grow box, cheep lights... I have many issues, and I truly appreciate all the advice from the many experienced growers on here

I'm not trying to fight with people who are far more advanced growers than me. But the fact I could in my weakened state lift her leeds me to think she is dry... but it is also cold, 0 percent humidity, I'm blowing hot air into her grow box, cheep lights... I have many issues, and I truly appreciate all the advice from the many experienced growers on here
There is no fighting. We are all adults. We discuss things thoroughly to help all understand. Sometimes it's hard to hear things, when you know something. I get it all the time, I'm married 😂

Fighting was a poor choice of words.. Resisting perhaps? I get it though.. I truly do.. I’m not religious and I was swearing to God it was dry, and it wasn’t. This plant wants to live.. it will continue growing like this for you and will most likely make it to harvest as well, but it’s going to be severely impacted and will likely herm at this rate.

Learning to properly water a plant in a pot seems so simple but it’s one of the most difficult hurdles for almost every grower. People have put years into learning it. This is also why so many people think they’re just not good growers, they can’t get the watering down.

I’ve beaten that up enough.. Is there any way you can buy a humidifier? You can get a decent one for 40 bucks. You’ve gotta get some humidity in there so you can stop the uneven drying which is throwing you off and making your plant work hard. There’s other ways of doing this which aren’t as effective, like hanging wet towels and putting items with a large surface area filled with water in the room. When I added forced heat into my room I had to buy a second humidifier just to keep it at an acceptable level, not even optimal.

If we can figure out some ways to get your temps and RH stabilized you’ll be more confident in what’s happening.

Hey Keff, I know your only trying to help and I really appreciate all the help. I turned 65 this month and dealing with the govmnt about my Medicare and them screwing me over good I have no money to buy anything it will be a struggle just pay the rent an bills. I was just impatient to grow this plant , if I had waited until late February it would have a completely different experience

Hey Keff, I know your only trying to help and I really appreciate all the help. I turned 65 this month and dealing with the govmnt about my Medicare and them screwing me over good I have no money to buy anything it will be a struggle just pay the rent an bills. I was just impatient to grow this plant , if I had waited until late February it would have a completely different experience

It’s all good, having a bit of backstory makes it a bit easier to help. So in your situation, I’d just keep riding it.. You’re getting valuable experience right now, as well as a bit of confidence. Once you see that she’s gonna insist on growing and insist on doing her thing it will bring you a measure of confidence that makes decision making much easier.

I suggest setting up a grow journal. You can lay out all of your information in a centralized spot. A lot of the experienced growers stop through journals to help and offer advice.. It seems more pay attention to journal forums than the FAQ and problems forums.

There are a few low tech ways to check on moisture levels like a piece of bamboo/skewer/wood that can absorb and show water levels. Just shove one into the medium down to the bottom and wait about an hourish, and it should give you an idea of where moisture is at.

I’ve seen many plants go all the way to harvest overwatered.. It will effect yield, quality, etc. but you’ll still get buds so it’s not the end of the world. As others have stated, she looks fairly healthy otherwise. With you having such a low level of humidity it’s probably best to keep your temps on the lower side so it’s not working the plants as hard. This will slow down growth but slow and steady is better than nothing at all.

Growing is one of those things you’ve gotta just do.. You’re gonna make mistakes and that’s alright because the experience and confidence is worth it. Don’t get too downtrodden, every single one of us had a first plant, a first problem, a first everything. There’s some folks who it’s taken multiple grows to really zero in and that’s okay. Just stick with it and you’ll get it.

I do have a journal for her, not sure how to put a link here but I'm sure you can find it
If you click on your avatar in the top bar it should pop out a screen that looks like this:
E955A7FB-8411-465A-87D2-4F8CF08DE31D.png

If you then click on “signature” you can post a link to your journal that will pop up on all your posts that people can easily click on.

Going forward I would recommend looking into the SIP/autopot systems that @Azimuth recommended.. It completely removes the need to lift pots or learn a wet dry cycle.. You can cobble them together with some fairly cheap parts that most have lying around. Obviously in your situation you have limited resources, but it could be a good goal to work toward while you wait for better weather and nurse your current plant. Here’s a link to the SIP club where there’s literally tons of information on it

OK, good point, and I am definitely not very familiar with over-watering symptoms.

The OP said at the start, "She was watered last Thursday so I don't think it's watering she's still kinda heavy to lift."

Looks like that was about 4-5 days. Perhaps the pot has a drainage problem.

And,

It sounds like either the medium is holding the water too much, or there may be a drainage problem at the bottom, or both.

So with plastic pots, water retention is ridiculous. They can hold water for so long it’s unnerving and you’re positive the plant is dying of thirst when it isn’t. Once you’ve overwatered it’s really hard to see the little signs she gives off when she is thirsty because everything is already drooping and weighted down. Most plants tend to droop or lower slightly at night. They’re sleeping and not photosynthesizing so there isn’t the same pressure inside the plant. This can even happen on a 24 hour light cycle.

Or, how about a compromise on the watering issue? At least try adding an extra day to your current schedule. Then next time two.

Or, even better, see how many days you can go before they start to droop a bit from being dry and then next round cut one day off that. You might be surprised the first time at how long it actually goes before drooping.

But then every subsequent watering will likely shave a day or so off the previous round until you get to the point where it will take a full watering every 2-3 days and be really dry and ready for more.

Also, the amount you water with is important. Depends on your mix of course but I find my mix can hold about 25% of pot size give or take. But, you could also start off by giving substantially less water each time if you can't stop yourself from doing it. I know the feeling. I was so afraid they roots were going to dry up and kill my plant that I frequently watered them before I should have.

And, I really would encourage you to come check out SIP club. You can build a container for the cost of a bucket, a food storage container from the dollar store, and a short section of pvc pipe or garden hose, whatever. Less than $10 US and you'll get larger plants with less effort because you'll have perfect watering every time since the plant waters itself. In those, you can't overwater. Just pour your fertigation mix down the fill tube until it comes out the drain hole and move on with your life. You can top it off multiple times a day even and you'll never overwater.

They made a huge difference in my grows, and I doubt I'll ever grow a canna plant without one.

Hi Canachris, I've reread this thread and believe the problem and solution is evident.

Post #1 - Dec 19 Monday
She was watered last Thursday so I don't think k it's watering she's still kinda heavy to lift.
You've identified a problem - droopy - and seeking help. Four days after the last watering she is still kinda heavy to lift.

Post #3 - Dec 19
I gave her a little water.
If she was overwatered then another watering even if light is going to compound the problem one would think.

Post #13 - Dec 19
3 hrs after giving her some water she looks better.
This seems to contradict the idea of overwatering. However, the following Post #5 may explain the improvement - sunlight and warmth.

Post #5 - Dec 19
When I added the extra light I did raise it to 24"" from 20". She's doesn't seem to be recovering, I'm thinking she just can't handle the cold nights. She's been in real sun for 45 minutes now and had the fan on her and temps are over 80 f. I have to say I'm kinda worried, she's been droopy first thing b4 and some warmth an sunlight always brings her back
She's been droopy b4 and warmth and sunlight always brings her back.

Post #23 - Dec 20
Right after I water I try an lift her an I can't budge her, it usually takes 5-6 days b4 I can budge her. This last time in an attempt to not be over watering I watered a bit less and after 4 days I could lift her.

Post #41 - Dec 30
if I can lift her she's dry an I could easily lift her.

From what you've posted it's clear to me that overwatering is the problem and has been b4. It could be that you give it too much water when you do water her. And you may not let the soil dry out sufficiently before watering again. With the salt stains on the pot's saucer I wonder if she sits in the water that collects there. The pot appears to have feet that keeps it elevated out of the water but you would know. She shouldn't be sitting in water.

The pot goes from not able to budge it to being able to pick it up. This is your indicator to when and how much to water. If you can't lift the pot then you don't need to water. If you can pick up the pot then you should try and determine how heavy it is. Is it light or pretty heavy. If you do this daily you'll develop a pretty good sense of the weight. When you do water take note of how much water and if any water ends up in the saucer.

The advice I give to new growers is: it's better to underwater than to overwater. Overwatering will cause problems and in a seedling probably death. Older plants can usually handle it better but if overwatering persists then they too will die. Underwatering will result in leaves that not only droop but will be completely limp. Watering brings the leaves back almost miraculously and the plant seems to continue on without any noticeable effects. Both over and underwatering will bring stress to the plant so it's best to get the watering right.

One more point. We think about what plants need and we try and provide them. One thing most people may not realize is the roots need air. Watering will eliminate air from the soil. Keeping the soil wet will suffocate the roots. The soil has to dry a bit so air returns. Getting this cycle correct helps to produce healthy plants.

The looking good immediately after watering can be explained. The lower roots are drowning and we've already discussed that. The top spreader roots are still there and doing a good job and they pick up moisture as it's falling through them on the way to the bottom. Temporarily, as gravity flows the water through, the plant is able to get enough water pressure to raise the leaves a little bit. After the water falls to the bottom the same old problem quickly returns.

I'll try and control my urge to water and extend the time between watering
And keep in mind that the first time you do it you will get droop early like you normally do as the top roots dry out, but you need to get the bottom roots dried out, so it will likely go through a droop as the top roots dry, a bit of a rebound as the lowers dry and are finally able to breathe and then a droop as they start to need water. Only then should you give it a drink.

So, if you can do it, that's what you're loking for. It'll be hard though. You will feel like you are losing your plant after the first droop period. (ask me how I know.) :laughtwo:

You've done a great job to get her to this point; she looks great like a cultivated Christmas tree. Full, beautiful color and flawless. I should say almost flawless because we're human and non of us are perfect. Cannabis can be very finicky when it comes to watering. The number 1 problem encountered by cannabis growers is watering. I bet everyone who's tried growing cannabis has overwatered at some point. I certainly have. There's always more to learn when it comes to gardening.

When she goes into flowering you should cut back on the watering even more or you may find bud rot. Most other plants require more water when they go into flowering. Cannabis is the only exception to that norm that I can think of.

I hope you keep us informed. Cheers !

Interesting opinion on flowering. I maintain a wet dry cycle until the end of stretch, then I water to runoff every 1-3 days until she stops drinking it all. Bud rot is more of an airflow issue in my experience and comes from not having enough air moving through the flowers during this time.

When she goes into flowering you should cut back on the watering even more or you may find bud rot. Most other plants require more water when they go into flowering. Cannabis is the only exception to that norm that I can think of.
Hmmm, really? I find my plants take much more water in flower and I give them everything they want (well not really because they drain the reservoir in my SIP on a daily basis and I fill it daily, but it's never enough...).

I'd agree that watering is one of the biggest challenges for new growers to get right. That's why I like the SIP. Perfect watering every time since the plant waters itself. And the built in air gap ensures that there is always oxygen to the lower roots which allow us to run with a wetter environment in veg.

Back
Top Bottom