Droopy girl: water?

If we really wanted to go super eco eco... best would be to make big, covered compost piles of chopped-up husks, let them break down, and then separate out the fibers.

i think the issue is it doesn't break down for a lifetime. there's a hundred years of backlog pith to work through

Some folks have no vision and fear progress. They have no problems utilizing the fruits of progress to sow fear though. It’s an amazing high wire act of contradictions and hypocrisy. Allowing fear to dictate decisions is irresponsible at best and genocidal at worst as we see play out over and over again. I’ll never understand refusing to adapt out of fear of change.

they have a vested interest to support only their vested interests, and the skill and money to buy or confuse the electorate.

appalachian miners still dug coal to feed their families even though it meant a drastically shortened life and resulted in a second civil war that is never taught in US schools. history might not repeat but can be successfully copied.

edit : google mother jones. it's the beginning of the union movement worldwide.

resulted in a second civil war that is never taught in US schools

This is actually a family story of ours.. Our recorded lineage here (America) goes back 300 years and we had a few family members that were in Ludlow when the massacre happened. We’ve been anti elite/corporate since then lol.

This is actually a family story of ours.. Our recorded lineage here (America) goes back 300 years and we had a few family members that were in Ludlow when the massacre happened. We’ve been anti elite/corporate since then lol.

it can run generations. i hate how revisionists ignore it or try to write it off as leftist mythology. they have no idea that you can strongly believe in working as a community and be strongly independent at the same time..

it's no wonder they moonshine and guerilla grow.

What do you use instead as a base? Coco's a chunk but what's the rest?
  • compost soil
  • fine volcanic cinder (mostly black cinder)
  • coco coir (high-quality, pre-washed)
  • perlite
  • fresh worm compost from our worm bins
There's a lot of compost soil in my mix, which is homemade compost containing on-site soil, but also some locally-imported "cinder soil" (i.e. soil mixed with volcanic cinder). I sometimes also add more ground up black cinder, which is known around here as "black gold", and is high in minerals.

MORE details

i think the issue is it doesn't break down for a lifetime. there's a hundred years of backlog pith to work through
I think it's more like weeks or months. If you chop up a green coconut husk and and add into a compost bin with soil, soil bacteria and fungi, moisture, etc., they are going to break down. It would be similar to wood. You could possibly do Hugelkulture with them – i.e. bury them in a soil mound. Wood of course makes excellent compost – just needs time to break down. I've had piles of them right outside my house here, thrown into the muck, and they decompose. And that's not even chopping them up into smaller pieces.

it can run generations. i hate how revisionists ignore it or try to write it off as leftist mythology. they have no idea that you can strongly believe in working as a community and be strongly independent at the same time..

it's no wonder they moonshine and guerilla grow.

I’ll never understand those that believe their bosses and billionaires have ANY incentive to be honest. You don’t become an elite by being honest and hardworking, you do it by stepping on the backs of peasants.

All it takes is a catchphrase and some fear mongering and you can convince millions you’re not a corrupt psychopath even though you have more money than entire nations. The path to wealth is littered with the poor, and disregard for your fellow man.

Sorry about your thread Chris lol make sure you check the Stonington feed schedule I posted and let us know how many days your plants have been in the pot. You’re probably getting close to needing a boost.

I think it's more like weeks or months. If you chop up a green coconut husk and and add into a compost bin with soil, soil bacteria and fungi, moisture, etc., they are going to break down. It would be similar to wood. You could possibly do Hugelkulture with them – i.e. bury them in a soil mound. Wood of course makes excellent compost – just needs time to break down. I've had piles of them right outside my house here, thrown into the muck, and they decompose. And that's not even chopping them up into smaller pieces.

i believe no growing product should ever be wasted if at all possible. everything gets used in garden or flower beds.

nothing changes on new years day. I have no eyedeer how it went from " do i need to water her" to all this talk about coco puffs an coal mines... shouldn't try an read this rite after getting high

20230101_061026.jpg

So where were we on this? Too much water? Not enough water? Peat-based medium holding a lot of water? Medium running out of nutes so add more (N, Ca, Mg, etc)?

Or... lookin' good hold the course?

So where were we on this? Too much water? Not enough water? Peat-based medium holding a lot of water? Medium running out of nutes so add more (N, Ca, Mg, etc)?

Or... lookin' good hold the course?
Couldn't tell ya cbd808. But since switching to 12/12 she has stretched about 5" and is putting out tiny hairs, I started her on blooming nutes when I went 12/12 (FF open sesame). this warm spell has helped a lot too, the overnight temps have not gone under 65.f thanks to all for your input from the very helpful to the Insane

I believe @OGpapa had it originally.. Those temperatures were really hampering your plants abilities to photosynthesize effectively. You were overwatered in the sense that your temperatures couldn’t keep up with the water hence the swelling, however it wasn’t nearly as bad as some instances, and some decent warmth was able to bring them back around much faster than normal.

You’re most likely looking at her darkest color green now since you’ve switched to flower. I’d hold course as long as you can get some of that warmth steady

This isn’t true at all which is why I rarely use definitive statements like “impossible to overwater”. Peat based potting mixes can retain water for a very, very long time.
Just to make it clear what you are actually doing when watering and drying out is playing with the nutrient concentration. When fully moistened the potting mix will have the same nutrient concentration that was in the original nutrient solution. As the pot dries out the nutrient concentration will increase. When the pot is halfway dry the nutrient concentration will have doubled. If you water it in with 100 ppm nitrogen, the nitrogen concentration will now be 200 ppm. As the pot continues to dry out the nutrient concentration will climb even higher.

So how much to water really depends on how concentrated your nutrient mix is.

Just to make it clear what you are actually doing when watering and drying out is playing with the nutrient concentration. When fully moistened the potting mix will have the same nutrient concentration that was in the original nutrient solution. As the pot dries out the nutrient concentration will increase. When the pot is halfway dry the nutrient concentration will have doubled. If you water it in with 100 ppm nitrogen, the nitrogen concentration will now be 200 ppm. As the pot continues to dry out the nutrient concentration will climb even higher.

So how much to water really depends on how concentrated your nutrient mix is.

Correct which is why I’ve learned to use RO water for my grows.. It’s insanely difficult to keep a dialed in lock on your nutrient balance when your water source is bringing in nutrients you cannot measure.

I have a habit of not fully articulating my thoughts which is pretty insane since I post such long winded comments 😂

i live in a place where the gov't is spinning in the air to keep an oil based economy even though it's a complete non-starter. their election platform is all oil, guns, and drunks driving trucks. yeehaw.
Oil is not what is polluting our planet. Ammonium from decaying human waste mixed with ammonium solution poured down drains is. Waste water treatment does not treat for ammonium so they are basically dumping raw waste into the ocean causing global warming by killing off oxygen producing microscopic ocean life.

But hey the gov can't make money if people just use the septic tank already in their back yard.

It’s not just oil and it’s not just ammonium.. absurd levels of phosphorous pour into our streams and oceans constantly causing massive death annually, here’s a look at the Gulf of Mexico

CA7AA77B-EED8-45C5-91DF-81331B5931FF.jpeg

And that’s just in one place.. unsustainable human practices period are causing devastation across the planet. We humans are arrogant and almost always choose profit over everything.

here’s a look at the Gulf of Mexico
That's the ammonium pouring out of waste water treatment facilities. It kills everything in it's path like a cloud of ammonia would do to creatures with lungs on land.

Back
Top Bottom