Not sure how others do hempy grows (mine's in perlite), but I have a drain spout about 2" above the bottom of a 7-gallon container. This means there's always a little bit of nutrified water available if the roots reach down that far (and I'm not 100% positive they do). Typically, she'll take about a gallon of feed every 4 days (without leaking excess). Her next feed is scheduled for Tues 4 Jan, so I have a couple more days to decide how much to give her (if any). :)

length of time is key,, imo
But, if no observable different for first nine days, maybe that's just the length of time to dry the soil out to the same level you could do in hempy in 2 or 3.

Once you are at that level, it seems like 2 days or so for the plant reaction and then recovery.

The way I read that is that nothing much happens until the plant dries out enough and then shit happens quickly.

Although, if a plant is used to being watered every 2-3 days in soil and it's been substantially longer than that, say 5-6 days, maybe the plant response is beginning but at too low a threshold to be detected. Once it gets to 8-9 days the plant finally says enough! and really kicks the response into high gear.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say water every 4-6days to constantly “induce” the drought effect throughout whatever stage you choose for the win? In my opinion these plants love a challenge. I mean I’m growing them so jeez! Or maybe I need to got to Vegas?! Just lucky?

But I love that this is being implemented and so look forward to the results of so many good growers input after the results are in. In fact we already have proof it works so just super cool to see it come around to cannabis. Peace to All

NTH

I’m going to go out on a limb and say water every 4-6days to constantly “induce” the drought effect throughout whatever stage you choose for the win?
Ok, but that's so unscientific. We have a blasted study we're wrestling with here. ;)

But that would be an interesting side study. Two clones, one in soil with timing according to the study and proper LWA's, and the second with NineToes' approach.

How much difference is there in end product?

under optimal conditions the study received a 20% increase in whatever,,

i will venture to say that none of us has laboratory optimal conditions,, and most of us are a million miles away from optimal laboratory conditions,, or OLC, as we call it in the biz

so given that, how much % increase in whatever can anyone actually expect?

even a 10% increase would be an accomplishment

would i recognize a 10% difference? not likely

not showing drought doubt, or DD as we call it in the biz, but can anyone point me in the direction of the 'proof' mentioned before?

under optimal conditions the study received a 20% increase in whatever,,

i will venture to say that none of us has laboratory optimal conditions,, and most of us are a million miles away from optimal laboratory conditions,, or OLC, as we call it in the biz

so given that, how much % increase in whatever can anyone actually expect?

even a 10% increase would be an accomplishment

would i recognize a 10% difference? not likely

not showing drought doubt, but can anyone point me in the direction of the 'proof' mentioned before?
All anecdotal from what I've seen, but from experienced growers who know what they are looking at and all have noted a significant increase in the whatever's.

More frost has to be more whatever's, not just the same amount diluted across more trichomes.

Az...I see you. I have a house with Covid, a 2 year old and my 11 plants....I don't want to jump on here until I have time to read through and formulate proper responses. I'm sorry you are talking to yourself. @Renaissance Man I see you too @nivek @Nine Toed Hippie @MackMcMacMac I see u too

one other thing to note,, re, the study,,

it took NINE days before any noticeable difference was observed

Az...I see you. I have a house with Covid, a 2 year old and my 11 plants....I don't want to jump on here until I have time to read through and formulate proper responses. I'm sorry you are talking to yourself. @Renaissance Man I see you too @nivek @Nine Toed Hippie @MackMcMacMac I see u too
Ha! It's all good. I'm just throwing out what comes into my mind as I try to figure it out for myself. Maybe my ramblings will spur a thought from someone else and we can advance the "science".

one other thing to note,, re, the study,,

it took NINE days before any noticeable difference was observed
Yes, but that doesn't mean nothing was changing in the plant. Just nothing noticeable. Were there any periodic hormone levels taken or was this just observable changes?

It also might support the "nothing happens until the magic moisture level" hypothesis. In which case we're really talking a couple of days rather than 9-11.

But don't you think in hempy some, just not enough, water would be needed? The idea is to stress the plant gradually and in hempy no water would happen too quickly.
Ahh, but it wouldn't happen that much quicker then the hydroton would it? There would be a difference in time, but how remarkable would that difference be? And is the duration of the drought more important, or the droughting itself?
In soil, there's always some residual water hiding in minute places, at least longer than you'd be able to detect. That prolongs the stress period giving the reaction time to play out.
Bingo! And that is why I believe that the LWA is the key.
A longer drought might produce a more profound effect, not too sure on that, and it's a line of thought to explore/discuss.
But the leaves would not show any wilt until the soil is fairly dry, correct? Meaning any time prior to that, would not have as large an impact IMO. I'd love to hear an actual why, that part would be more important.

Do we feed our plants based upon a schedule, or according to our observations on its current states/health?
Do we harvest based upon a breeders saying when it should be done?

Seems the pattern is to ignore timelines, and go based upon our observations.

We use the LWA to determine the state of the plants health.
We know that the level of the LWA degree is a direct correlation to the drought progress/process.

Anyhow I've said my bit on it. And why I think that's the reason.

I'm glad to see this conversation happening. Hopefully if we (me included), continue to approach it with an open mind, good things will happen.

an i find interesting side note on one of the authors,, Deron Caplan,,

his study was done at the u of guelph,, ontario,, he now works for and i think is the head research guy, for Flowr corp,,

they are an operation under the 'miracle gro' company,, the sole purpose of Flowr corp is to research how to grow cannabis better. only cannabis

he is a PHD in cannabis research,, the first and only maybe still, i am not sure

i find it interesting because i live in the same city as all this and i knew of this operation,, interesting to find the link,,

Ahh, but it wouldn't happen that much quicker then the hydroton would it?
hempy would be similar or the same, imo

Back
Top Bottom