DWC Seedling watering and early veg

spab1311

hi guys/girls just a quick one, on seedlings and early veg watering, my tap water is coming out about PPM225-250 EC 0.46 - 0,51, so what i was thinking is could I get away with using tap water for first wk or 2 then introduce R,O water to reduce PPM before going with an eighth strength nutes any info would be great, and i would alter PH to 6.0
so was just wondering if it would do any harm thats all, as i know can just go R,O from the off, but would that PPM be to way to much for seedling

yeah thats great Im on the right track and understanding so much more now just cant wait to get that seed in some water, so roughly speaking, so whats a good time or size to place in the bucket when roots are just coming through rockwool, then move to bucket, is that about right then

That sounds like a odd question to ask for Hydro, but a very good one.

After I have a tap root I put her in the bottom of the net pot; I normally put a thin layer of hydroton in the bottom of the pot. Once you have the plant into the net pot with the pot filled with just enough hydroton to support her you can start to play.

So pot size for me.
Suspended in a solo cup
1 gallon pot
then either a 2 or 3 1/2 gallon
final is normally a 5 gallon pot, by then you can see the the root ball; but I have 7 and 10 gallons also.

I say pots but they are buckets that I saved for their size.

Once the plant is in the net basket, you can play with the sizes.
Also, if you are wondering I up pot during solution change times, so the plant is going from a small container to a larger one with not adverse effects.

I make a lot less solution this way.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

edit: so whats a good time or size to place in the bucket when roots are just coming through rockwool, then move to bucket, is that about right then

Right

What size basket do you use?

Not saying you have to but i would go with a 5 gallon black bucket with a 6 inch top hat that fits right on top of the bucket, you can also notch a groove in top of bucket for 1/4 inch air hose for a air stone to go in the bottom of the bucket. Then like Tokin Roll mentioned some hydroton in bottom of net pot, place plant in and place hydroton around it filling the net pot so no light leaks are getting in. When filling with water stay about a inch or two from the bottom of the net pot just so the air stone is splashing some water on the bottom of the net pot. i don't feed any nutes till tap root hit the water.

thanks guys well my first try ended in disaster I snapped her stem and I think she was over watered also, got another one on the go, which is doing really well, got her in net pot from the off, on day 8 things going well, took your advice things looking good just waiting for tap root to show, then i will move her over to a 4gl bucket but on what you said may be if i go abit smaller 1gl then 4gl as that makes sense,
but gave her 1st feed 200ppm ph 5.8 so atm she in net pot with rockwool,hydroton, which ive cut the bottom of a solo cup off and covered the top of rockwool just waiting to see tap root before moving her up, so when tap root shows, should i dip it into the mycorrhiza then place in her forever home. with the tap root above the water level,

With my last go having no exp, I think she was saturated as I didnt know how well those plugs held the water, so went for rockwool this time but holding back on water giving rockwool chance to dry out and not to drown the seed, so far so good, and last time I think I moved her over to early, to the big bucket, so this time giving tap root better chance, and its showing already as 1st go took about 18 days to get this growth, so things off to a good start, just need to get to that wk3 stage this time, before I have to learn any more harsh lessons lol but thats how we get better,
So off to a good start and will let you guys know hows things when we move ahead
WIN_20220526_20_26_33_Pro.jpg

DAY 12 Royal Haze auto update
Well things been going great so far, so had some roots start showing, so moved her over to the 4gl bucket thats has ppm 300 PH 5.8 just water for now tap, just adjusted ph, but have made a start on nutes gave a light top feed, few days ago, so today covered rockwool and roots in mycorrhiza and placed in bucket, so because of issues last time just going to wait for roots to start showing a sign in bucket, then well introduce the nutes, didnt want to over do it, having already given a light feed, but will water around hydro an rockwool very lightly lol
So thanks guys for all the advise so 2nd time round off to a good start so far, just need to go steady with water, be careful!!lol and just leave her to it, and its doing the job so just going to let her do her thing check PH 2-3 a day,
so thanks for all advise guys so enjoy the wk ahead stay well and be safe

Hi guys quick update

Well big smiles today, I HAVE ROOTS lol so yes I see this as progress, so yeah moved her over to the 4gl pot yesterday, went an checked PH etc, and we had some roots protruding out the net cup, so thats great a good sign Im getting things right lol but Im sure they will be a few more mistakes along the way, so after seeing the roots I decided to take some water out about 3/4ltr - 1ltr, still not added any nutrients to bucket just yet, dont wont to over fertilze, but I will do a water change and add nutes around 250-350ppm once theres more root mass, but this will done in the next few days, just letting the roots establish a little more, so ive lowered the water level is they any thing else that needs to be done, that I havent mentioned? as thats about right init to lower water level when roots start to come through, so is they any thing you guys can think of that needs doing?

So Ive managed to accomplish the germination stage, seedling stage managed with a few lessons thrown in, so now early veg, so this stage is where it all starts to happen, so I will just put to work what I learned from you guys and up to now alls going great, so I will just do pretty much the same as I have been doing, just letting her do her thing, so will just check ph daily, watch water level (adjust if ness) keeping temps at 21c-23c H55%, and because Im only using a small LED for now light is at 18" 75% which I increased slightly over time, but so far so good, so just been leaving her to it and just checking for any changes,

So thanks for all the help an advise guys you've helped loads, will let her do her thing now and I will give an update and some more follow up pics towards end of the wk, but Im like a kid who just got a new toy with my roots, lol so just need to crack this veg stage now

JUST A QUICK ONE GUYS???????
Yeah one of the leafs looks like it has a nitrogen def, yellowing of the tips??? or could this be from having light to close?
seems to be ok, didnt wont to act on it, until Im sure, so what do you guys think, and if it is N def, will change over and add nutes tomoz????
What to you guys think
20220531_221843.jpg

quick update on the Royal haze auto
Day 14 ppm 400 ph 5.9, 4gl she had 3ml Calmag, yesterday, going to give 1,5ml Micro 3ml Bloom to bucket tomorrow, roots growing rapid now, and she growing fast, so going to add the nutes tomoz, then just wait an see how she takes them, an if all is good, I will give a steady increase as we move forward, just watching her for any signs, just been checking PH PPM and taking a daily grow photo to refer back to, so just leaving her to do her thing now, and watch and adjust accordingly,
I know I have been tips on my Haze which i think was down to light intensity, which I turned dwn, and its seems ok as not got worse or spread

so thanks guys for all the help an advise and will update after the wkend, so hope you all a have great wkend and enjoy
20220602_173059.jpg

Are you using some hydroguard or z7? Those things work wonders especially if you’re getting up in temps in the buckets. Don’t want the water too hot I had to wrap my buckets in metal tape. I’d keep the water at 1-2 inches from the bottom of the bucket through the entire grow. Those roots will keep growing. Don’t over do top watering if they’re rooted in the bucket either. If you can see roots they can drink. I did a trial run before my current run, they may help you a little if you’d like to check my links

Are you using some hydroguard or z7? Those things work wonders especially if you’re getting up in temps in the buckets. Don’t want the water too hot I had to wrap my buckets in metal tape. I’d keep the water at 1-2 inches from the bottom of the bucket through the entire grow. Those roots will keep growing. Don’t over do top watering if they’re rooted in the bucket either. If you can see roots they can drink. I did a trial run before my current run, they may help you a little if you’d like to check my links
no cant seem to be able to get hold of any, hydroguard? tried all out of stock but the guy in the grow shop told me to try this pyscho myco, its got good stuff in it, so he said anyone? so been using 0.5 of tsp in res, not been top watering now for a while, since the roots started to establish, not having issues with temps just keeping things stable around 21-22c,
and yeah will have a look at link as thanks for that

QUICK FEED UPDATE?

Well last night decided to give small feed to start ,0.5ml Micro 1ml Bloom ppm 460, last out were at 6am lights on 12pm checked my ph 6.0 my ppms down to 420,

So today given 1ml Micro 2ml Bloom ppm 490, so will just leave her be as she taking up the nutes fast, so will check ppm later tonight and let her do her thing

I will just monitor the ppms and adjust accordingly, as my tap water has a starting ppm of 300, thats why i used bottled low ppm 100 water to start with, then moved over to tap water in bucket, adding 3ml Calmag and now 1.5ml M 3ml B in total giving me the ppm 490, so just keeping all data in spreadsheets an wkly charts, to track and monitor progress, so for now will monitor above and increase gradually 100ppm a wk, so does this all sound about right to you guys, also been adding pyscho mycho 0.5 tsp to res aswell, but only on wkly basis well just added to res for 1st time as it says to use 5gms to 35ltr so used half that, so not sure how often to add every 3-4 days, or when I do water change, not sure about this one, any ideas guys, I know you probably wont of used it, but it says it as all the good stuff in for plants etc, but so far so good, used on roots dry and they some do be growing well, but trail an error I guess lol

So thanks guys any advise when to add or how often to add the p/myco would be great as not sure on that one, so thats where things are at, been giving a light foliar spray 2x a day with low ppm added nutes at 200 ppm aswell, so things all looking great and are where they should be, feeling so much better about this now, esp with what happened to the poor old W/W, but making sure this Haze as the best chance, so things all looking up seem to be getting a good understanding so far, just see how i go on this next stage feeding, so will be same tactics slow an steady and just wait for the plant to tell me, as longs I keep within the feeding parameters things should be ok, so will just go slow and build up slowly, giving her time to take it all up, so I think thats about it for this wk my friends, so I will give update during the wk unless i run into an issue of course, but will take on what you guys have told me and its doing job, so thanks peeps its much appriciated, so hope you all have a great wkend enjoy be safe and be happy

Back
Top Bottom