Effects of Sound on MJ Growth Pattern

NormanTBates

I was sitting here listening to some music about ten feet away from my sleeping lady and was thinking, has anyone ever done an experiment to see how sound would effect growth during flowering. I can't say where it originated from or it may even be an urban legend, about that the old lady in her garden at night who plays classical music to her flowers and it somehow promotes the growth. I may just be an idiot but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this before...

I always practiced guitar with my ladies. Didn't have anything to compare it though. Mythbusters did a show on music and plant growth and it does seem to help they found that heavy metal worked the best on the show. here are a few links to discussions about it.

does music help?

Marijuana Loves Mozart

Does Music Help?

I would love to have the tunes/sounds set-up on a timer to play during the morning and evening hours.

Yeah I know what you mean I have thought about that quite a few times. I usually just play some Doors or CCR to her almost daily. It's not on a timer or anything, I just put one of my speakers in the closet with her while I'm jammin :cool:

Great find Andy! Very interesting read.

hmmm that was some interesting stuff

In 7th grade science class, we did an experiment with a plant, where one was subjected to no sound, the other was subjected to a continuous loop of music, the exposed plant beat out the non-exposed plant, and the control plant (which was just kept outside, like normal) by 4"..

it works..now someone needs to refine the technique using specific frequencies, or combination of frequencies.

Since we know that plants can "feel"our emotional states, it may be more about or spending time with the plants and and us listening to the music we like. I compliment my girls every chance I get. I know it can't hurt and it may help.

The astute observation that sound is an expression of the electromagnetic spectrum was simple and important. We concentrate so much on finding lighting that mimics the sun rays, I think it's a natural progression that we explore and try to understand sound and its effect on plant growth.

This is norman's thread, but if anyone has links or information to contribute please do it here.

I'll throw this out there: Some health concerns have been raised about the use of wind turbines in more urban settings, now being referred to as Wind Turbine Syndrome. Various aspects, including low frequency sound and the altering of natural air currents are being looked at to determine why some people, animals and plants are experiencing negative effects in close proximity to wind power generators. The idea that large wind farm installations are producing inaudible sound/noise pollution is a real possibility.

Thoughts or experiences using sound in your garden, anyone? Do you live near a wind farm and have some similar observations?

I worked inside wind turbines for a while and they definitely make noise. There is a distinct 'whooshing' sound as the blades whip around. However, it's no louder than cars passing on a nearby gravel or pavement road. The particular turbines I worked on (some by Siemens, some by GE) did not create an audible hum or any kind. However, if there were low frequencies that we could not hear, then that is something of a concern. I feel that the environmental benefits from using wind turbines to generate electricity greatly outweigh the negative effects that we know about NOW, but surely there is still room for more research in the area. I advocate offshore wind projects to power urban locales, while rural wind farms located a safe distance (at least a kilometer) from housing developments is probably the safest route atm.

One disgruntled farm woman proclaimed that wind turbines create vibrations in the ground that made her cows sterile...as far as i know no research has can corroborate this theory albeit an interesting one...

I live in an area with lots of them going up. People where more concerned with their house prices, but a couple of people got up a the city council meeting to express their concerns. My comment to the house prices is if you have no power to run your home, the price drops to zero, and I agree that the benefits outweigh the negatives. I am also Danish ( on my father's side) and have seen the good they have done over in Europe. Hey andy- I can carry a tune! Back on the original topic, I am sure music does help. It makes sense to me since this is a living entity.

I have read one of these studies actually and what was suggest is low frequency base music as the vibrations seem to actually act to vibrate the plant and promotes the plants ability to move nutrients thru the stem for some reason i am no scientist so i cant explain it but i would say its kinda like the effect you get by aggitating your cuttings whenl making bubble bag hash . The plant is made up of multiple cells that either collect and process nutrients and cells that act as conveyor belts moving the building materials throught the plant . I hypothize that the vibrations help the moisture and nutrients move past the areas where the plant has built up internal gasses and not expeled them yet. but thats just hypothesis.... the study only proved that low frequency sound with lots of bass like heavy metal and deep precussion orchestra music as well as that death metal ultra low frequency thrash personaly I will be placing a radio in with my girls once the licence arrives in the mail

Damn Andy Botwin is there anything you don't have your finger in?
I'm beginning to think to myself "I better ask Andy":grinjoint: I'm not kidding friend,
You're amazing.
Now on to the topic. I once had house plants every where and I played music almost constantly. Wouldn't you know it was hard rock (Lead Zep) and classical mainly Bach organ pieces with lots of base. All plants grew like crazy. I even had an indoor Banana Tree. So I think music has an impact on plants.
I do talk to my girls too, always in soothing tones. I think they like it. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom