First Grow - Low Budget - Advice Welcome

Re: Ok I'm getting good ready to try my first grow

Can someone move this to a grow journal?

The world does not CARE how much you know, until they know how much u care.

Can someone tell me is this an Indica or cross or too soon to tell?

420-magazine-mobile1531490810.jpg

I ask bc my mom already has colloidal silver if a solution raises the likelihood of it being a female I dunno if I should try it or leave it alone.

CS (and STS) are used to change the sex of a plant, not to encourage it to be female. IOW, if you have female plants of a strain, but no male available, you might consider using it to cause one of the female plants (or some small part of one of them) to produce male flowers - and, therefore, pollen.

Don't use it unless you are attempting to provoke a plant into producing some "opposite sex" flowers. And DON'T use it on seedlings.

When do you put them on a light cycle?

Any time after the seedling has grown above the ground, lol. Some people use a 24:0 light "cycle." Others believe that certain processes occur during darkness (although this has been debated in regards to cannabis) and use a 20:4, 18:6, or (occasionally) 16:8 light cycle. I think you get stronger root growth with some darkness in the cycle - and know that less electricity is used, lol - so I generally drop to a 18:6 light cycle after the first week or two of 20:4 (if I didn't use 18:6 from day one).

it sprouted it's first set of real leaves and I'm excited!

Congratulations! You are now officially a cannabis grower, lol.

At least it stopped raining. It wasn't totally dry but I wanted the sprout to get a leads some rainwater. It rained for like an hour. It has drainage holes in it so that's good, but could/would that hurt a little sprout?

<SHRUGS> Plants - of all sizes/ages - get rained on in nature. Now... their natural environment is not in a little pot, so having a reasonably "light" soil and good drainage is important. Cannabis likes (its soil) to dry out, then get a good watering, rather than to get insufficient amounts of water frequently or have its roots sit in waterlogged soil.

I wanted to mist it with the fish emulsion/water that says WILL NOT BURN, but I think I should hold off on that for now
Yes, hold off on that for now. Tiny little seedlings require very little in the way of nutrition/fertilizer. Unless your medium has absolutely NO nutrients (as in 100% perlite), it should supply what they need at this stage. And even with straight perlite, I have seen small plants live a long time with very minimal feedings (they just didn't grow a whole lot, lol).

I think more seedlings - and even established plants - get killed each year from "too much care" (IOW, an overzealous novice grower who feels that he/she ought to be doing something) than from neglect.

and I would like to get more microbes into the soil as soon as possible...

If you want to get something into the soil, put it in the soil - don't spray it onto seedlings' (few, small) leaves. But the only things that they need right now that your soil isn't likely to have... are water (when the soil has dried out enough) and light.

Are the lights too close to the plant?

For the CFLs, I doubt it. Having your lights too far away will cause the stems to become too stretched (and weak) to support the plant, because they will be trying to stretch towards the light(s). For low-wattage ones, most folks try to keep them an inch or so away from the top of the leaves (and turned horizontally, so that they're actually sending more of their illumination towards those leaves than towards the walls, lol). With seedlings... You might allow an extra inch or so but, again, too much distance will leave you with spindly plants (that might just fall over).

Do remember, however, that CFL bulbs still produce heat (and, watt for watt, quite a lot of it, lol). You should place an oscillating fan so that it can blow across your seedlings. This will serve two purposes - it helps keep the bulbs from overheating the plants, and it will help your plants/stems become stronger. At this stage, a gentle breeze is better than a hurricane - you don't want them to be pushed flat, merely to "move" in the air. So don't use the highest setting on the fan, and don't place it an inch away.

I have no clue as to the LED. My guess is that it's a low-power / low-intensity one, but that's just a guess.

I've been taking it outside every day. Has been overcast but sunny today.

Unless you are planning on growing them outdoors and are, therefore, "hardening them off" to the outdoor conditions, I would not bother. It's a good way to unintentionally transport pests into your indoor garden space - and spider mites (et cetera) are a real b!tch to deal with.

Anyone to my last question? When is it good to top a plant?

I have a feeling that I will be asking my last question... seconds before I die ;) .

When is good to top a plant? Some folks would say, "Never," lol. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish by topping it (and the strain). At this point, your plants can use all the leaves that they have, IMHO. As the plant grows larger, you might consider a less drastic form of training - tying the plant's uppermost growing tip down so that it is no longer the uppermost growing tip will cause the plant to redistribute its auxins ("plant hormones"), which will promote branching. Read up on things such as "low stress training" and "scrog" to learn more. If you only want a certain number of main branches, though, topping the plant can be useful for that.

Can someone tell me is this an Indica or cross or too soon to tell?

It is "kind of" soon for definite sub-species identification, lol. But, based on the law of averages, it most likely has some indica in it.

Can someone move this to a grow journal?

The best - and quickest - way to accomplish that is, IMHO, to use the "report post" function. IOW, by clicking on the little "exclamation mark within a black triangle" icon that appears at the bottom of every post, and then using the form that appears to enter your request. I'll go ahead and flag the post in which you made your request, but I wanted to let you know about the thing just in case you feel the need to use it in the future (to report a spambot post, in case you decide to change the name of your journal, et cetera).

It is "kind of" soon for definite sub-species identification, lol. But, based on the law of averages, it most likely has some indica in it.

The best - and quickest - way to accomplish that is, IMHO, to use the "report post" function. IOW, by clicking on the little "exclamation mark within a black triangle" icon that appears at the bottom of every post, and then using the form that appears to enter your request. I'll go ahead and flag the post in which you made your request, but I wanted to let you know about the thing just in case you feel the need to use it in the future (to report a spambot post, in case you decide to change the name of your journal, et cetera).
Yeah the plant is bigger now, I have only fed it one or 2 half strength "feeds" right now. Bottom leaves were yellowing slightly, was trying to figure out if it was due to ovwmerwatering, n deficiency, or needing a transplant. A friend keeps asking when am I going to top it and I didn't know what to do... so many different optiins. Then supercropping was brought up. My guess is that it's about 3 weeks old (plus or minus?) I got a little floralicious plus for cheap under 10 bucks, and I have ewc, king syrup, sns root/veg booster (kelp, humic acid - may be similar to FPlus), and fish fertilizer I was thinking of trying to brew tea and put all of it in... anything I should keep out of the tea? My first one I think I will do on the weaker side...
420-magazine-mobile1204995276.jpg
420-magazine-mobile543554946.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Barely. I was away came back plant was still wet (soil) and it was 5 days they swore they didnt water. I nursed it not jusf back to health but perfect then i added a light and got reflective blanket. I would "ruffle" the blanket every so often i wanted to make sure it had C02. But then all the leaves started buening and dying i did not water it. I resist the urge to feed it good healthy tea but i think i snapoed a root maybe biv kne? Or it coukd be that stupid blanket. I also foilar spray off an on with pure well water and fish emulsion

420-magazine-mobile219938805.jpg
420-magazine-mobile55992377.jpg

This is after i fixed it and it was halpy. It also got to go outside then...
420-magazine-mobile1966288312.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1233644856.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1129957144.jpg

What did i do??? How did i hurt my baby and howncan i make her better????? Soil is still moist but i put like a tbsp of fish fert watered down. I stopped using emergency blanket for extra light and hope plant will fix itself. I did a lot of thingsover a short period of time i need to find out what u did wrong.....

Back
Top Bottom