First Time Grow - Advice Welcome

noobtoexpert

Hey 420 my name is, well my name is Obama and i am a first time grower. I germinated my seeds in a cup of water and finished them in paper towel. I now have them in some miracle grow in my closet and they have been there probably about 3 days now. On one of my plants, it looks like the leaf broke a little ,I'm hoping it'll heal itself. But anyway I have them in reflector type boxes that shot light all around the plant and I am using 2 regular light bulb as seen in the pic.how much light on and off should I give? And what's your overall impression of my grow? And that broken leaf what do I do about that?
IMG_20121022_132100.jpg
10493.jpg
10489.jpg

Re: First Time Grow. Am i in the right direction?

if you can get yourself a 125w cfl or a cpl of 45w spiral cfls they will be a lot better, try and get them a little closer aswell they seem to be stretching alot already.

dont worry about the leaf it should sort itself out just keep an eye on it.

also if you can change the medium when you transplant i would advise it as i have heard alot of people have problems with miracle gro.

other than that all seems fine

hope this helps just my 2 pence :welcome: to :420:

sorry forgot to add i would try and get that little one to catch up as the others will be outgrowing it, but we can look at LSTing them when the time comes.

lighting got to 18-6 or i like 19-5 (dont know why lol). or if you feeling adventurous can try the GAS LANTERN ROUTINE which is 12hours ON 5 1/2hours OFF 1hour ON 5 1/2hours OFF 12 hours ON. will cut your power usage down aswell, then you just switch to 12/12 as normal.

I havent done the GLR yet but will be starting it this week

Thanks! So closer lights and better soil when i transplant? Also man, what about that 125 bulb. Does it take a big hit on the energy bill you think?

Thanks! So closer lights and better soil when i transplant? Also man, what about that 125 bulb. Does it take a big hit on the energy bill you think? Its kinda hard to be drug free, when Georgia Power wont give a nigga lights free. lol

LOL no its a CFL so they run pretty low dont know the exact stats, but you can grab a blue for veg and red for flower, not to expensive either in u.k about £20 so $30 each.

and also if your worried about energy use the Gas Lantern Next time during veg as llight is only on 13hours a day, but look into that first theres alot of info around here.

thats what i did now i decided to try it.

Thanks! If you have some personal you could shoot me to some good online sites available in the US, that would be great! SO what about LED? Aren't they supposed to be the best energy savers?

check out the sponsors page they will have them in the shops on there.

I dony know anything about led i like this CFL MH/PS lighting no need to change something thats not broke as they say lol

:high-five:

Ok so to clarify, i need (1) blue CFL Bulb, and (1) red CFL bulb to make it flower. Sounds easy. But are the ones gonna be enough, assuming that the power is 125W or 45W?

i think it would be ok on 125w but i cant say for sure as i will use mine with a 600w but if you have a dig around the grow room there should be loads of info on it, think it will depend on the size of the area and stuff, im still new to indoors so learning aswell :cheer:

Thanks man, you're the first to help me on the site and i want to say thanks! Im new to and i want to soak up all the knowledge you know! If you could pick a HPS or a CFL light which would it be? Also the colored CFL bulbs i see look like they are for decorative purposes and not growing.

yeah this site is great has so many knowledgeable people on it and i have been reading the site for a year or so now and just decided to join.

i dont know what CFLs you are looking at so cant say will post a pic of mine up 2moro if it turns up grrrr.

urm i would get a HPS personally but then you might need more stuff to keep temps and stuff down.

:cheer:

noob you don't want colored CFL's you want ones with a white light with hint of blue or red in it. there is a rating they give for this it's call color appearance or color temp rating. It measured on the kelvin scale, 27k is reddish white light and 50-65k is a blueish white light. the 27k is for flowering and the 50-65k is for vegging. you'll also want to use about 50-70 (true) watts per square foot of grow area, you are currently only using 28 (true)watts.

noob you don't want colored CFL's you want ones with a white light with hint of blue or red in it. there is a rating they give for this it's call color appearance or color temp rating. It measured on the kelvin scale, 27k is reddish white light and 50-65k is a blueish white light. the 27k is for flowering and the 50-65k is for vegging. you'll also want to use about 50-70 (true) watts per square foot of grow area, you are currently only using 28 (true)watts.

Cool. The lights I have do contain a kind of blue, just a little. Also, do the lights I have suck for the time being? Grow area is only about a 1x4 if that at the moment. Also late last night, I repotted them a little deeper to ensure that they are vetting good water a nice support. Thanks guys.

yeah i would try and grab yourself some cheap CFLS or even a small HPS light have a look at this it might help

Lil cfl powerhouse for lil cash

Really good little thread to read only take 5 mins to get through and should explain some bits and bobs and also can see what these guys are doing with there Small CFLs

:high-five:

you'll want more lights or more powerful ones, while the color sounds right the amount of light isn't. I'd use 2 23watt cfls over one plant to start and add more as they get bigger.

Is it good to sit your seedlings out in the sun and then bring them in for the closet?

Back
Top Bottom