First Grow Northern Light Auto - Fem - Help Needed

Re: First grow Northern Light auto (fem) help needed

OK, so yesterday I fed her, and today it looks like she likes it :)

So Fed on 26 and today is day 27 she is 4in tall and proud :yummy:

Sorry I'm writing all that here but this is any form of journal I have and my memory is very very weak, especially with the dates..

That's what a journal is all about :thumb: Journals also like Update pics!:tokin: I Wanna see your progress.

Re: First grow Northern Light auto (fem) help needed

OK :) So today is day 32 and I'm happy to announce that the NL is a female and preflowering :yahoo:

I can see those white hair sticking out and couldn't be happier :)

Sorry, couldn't make a picture of the pistils cuz my camera sucks...
And also ignore the brown leaf's they are there from the begging , when I had the problem, I just never removed the leafs since they still had green on them and the problem was stopped and didn't progress.

Also summer is finally over so temp with light's on gets to 78F and lights off 73F and PH is at 6.5 :)
I just have to say that I like those autos, It is nice that I can have some small plants and a big one in the same closet.

Wow, feels like ages since I did the last update, sorry for that I've been like extra busy work and shit.. but I somehow managed to take care of the babies :))

so here it goes
It's day 49 and they it is flowering. (some pictures are like day 40 or something)

So I added a carbon filter, just to be safe, not everyone likes a smell of a skunk in the room :)

Here is the short rider, the yellowing is nothing, its cuz of the soil, I had to transfer them they are happy in dwc now, nice long roots

The northern lights is comming along nicely, I added 2 cfl's above the top for some extra light and temperature since winter is coming :)

Some pictures of the top :) each day it looks better

So that's it, hope you guys are still there with me, again sorry for the long long update time... Btw the NL is like 14 in tall :))

Aside from the few brown parts, everything is looking top notch :thumb: Last time i seen your little girl, she was a baby. Now look at her. Great to finally see your DWC setup. Seems like its working out for you.:goodjob:

Can't wait to see her get nice and big. Good to see you back.:lot-o-toke:

I believe the brown parts ware caused by the soil, I'll have to use different type next time. Same thing happened with all of them, I always used ph 6.4-6.6 water and like 25% strength nutes and same thing happened.. Guess ffof doesn't work for me, next time I'll try coco or something and also I've seen those cool air pots in G7 thread

OK, little update:

Plant is on their day 54 from seed and day 22 of flowering (short rider I don't really know but they are not importtant for now :)

So, the top looking pretty tall :))

She is all bushy like u can see(maybe too bushy):

some more pic

Some blurry pic of the top

More of blur top

Pic of a random nod

my crowded space

Short riders finally took off

And finally short riders rootball

The PH of soil is 6.4 and ph of dwc is usually 5.8-6.4 and rising every 2-3 days i add a bit of ph down to keep it in the correct range.
I water the big one every 4 days now, i do feed - water - water
Ok, so the only problem that I have is that I think there is too little light getting to the lower flowers. What do you guys think.
Also any thoughts, concerns, and comments that could help me improve? :thanks:

Well you can do a few things with that.

First:You might want to think about thinning. If they lowering branches are budding and they look like they can make a quality bud, well you can always trim some of the larger fan leaves to get more light penetration. Be exact when you are doing this. If you pull a fan leaf off by pushing down it will come off stem and all. Be cautious when do this and plan it ahead. You don't want to trim back too many leaves.

Second: If the banches are too small and not getting enough light think about cleaning up the bottom branches. They are just soaking up the potential energy that can be used for top bud production. when doing this, Make sure to trim it as close if not from the stalk itself. if you completely remove a branch from the stalk, the plant won't try to regrow or repair it.

Lastly: Get more lighting. If you add more CFL's to the underside it will help with the growing. If you have the room and the funds to do so you can possibly gain more from doing this in the long run. The good thing about CFL's is that you can put the bulbs pretty close to the plants so even if you have some on the underside it should be fine.

All in all, I can't really say which would be the best option. Im not familiar with an auto flower plant so you might actually be taking away from the potential of the plant if you decide to trim and thin it out a bit. Or you can be helping it. The safe route would be to add more light to the underside of the plant.

a combination of the things you can do might also work. Thin some of the fan leaves to promote light penetration, cut off the small lower branches if they are not budding. and add more light to the underside of your plant.:thumb:

If someone has a better idea or wants to point out something if i am wrong please feel free to do so.

Double check before doing anything I suggested. That would be what i would do on a personal level and some might not agree.

I'm too scared of trimming, every time I go near her with the scissors I'm thinking of someone cutting my fingers. I think I'll just let nature run its course, I'm not that desperate about yield and I'll have a nice comparison.. If things will look reall bad ill just add some light at the bottom.

well when trimming off the Fan leaves you can grip them with your index finger all the way to the plants stalk and push down. they should pop off with a bit force. I did that my girls and they are doing just fine. You might wanna read up on auto strains to see if trimming is ok. I heard that Topping isn't that smart especially on autos but I dont know about trimming.

I know this is only my 2nd post on here but I can be of some assistance. 1st off you have some an amazing looking girl there congrats. I have been between indoor and outdoor growing for the last 10+ years with my new passion being autoflowers. I have grown alot of them in the last 2-3 years. Trimming fan leaves at the bottom is ok if you choose to do so tho I rarely do myself until the last 3 weeks before harvest. I would add the light if it fits your space and budget. Also thatoneguy is totally correct with topping or fimming of autoflowers. A normal strain you can keep I'm veg as long as you please before you induce flowering. A auto has very limited to no veg time and any process that will shock your plant will stunt growth and therefore hurt your yeild tremendously. They have no time to rector or repair themselves. Autos are best left alone to do their thing. A plant will not kill itself or stunt it's own growth only the grower can do that. As long as your conditions are right and you keep the feeding light she will grow and do her thing. Hope this helps and I'll def be dropping in to watch the rest of grow. Good luck

Hi :welcome: to my journal.
Thanks on the advice, I've read a bit on autos and it said exactly what you said. My problem with the fan leafs solved itself. Simply the leafs at the bottom that had less light trimmed themselves and my problem is solved :)) Guess nature has a way to correct itself :))
I have one question to you captain. At what week do you think autos begin to fill up in flower? So far the flowers are ok but I would like them to get bigger. Ill post an update some time this week.

Thanks again for being here :Namaste:

It really depends on the strain. I've had an auto flower start flowering in it's 2nd week from breaking the soil when it was only 4 inches tall and had one start when it was over a foot tall and in it's 8th week. In my experience autos tend to do there biggest flower growth in the last 3 weeks. It kills me when I read people are chopping early or because they think it's done just because the seed bank said 65 days. I've had a big bang and a Mi5 that both about doubled there production in the last week 2 tops.

Ok, Here it goes an Update report

It's day 63 and 31 day of flowering :))

Ok, so this is the northern light flowering:

This is the underside of the plant :)

On the left the flowering NL, and on the right 2 short riders still in veg.

The short riders got pretty big, I can see the advantage of the DWC

Well since it is an auto I'm hoping ill get at least an oz from each plant. The short riders are at their day 25 and they have already showed the sex - both females :)
That would be all for today :high-five:

I just re read the journal and looked at the pics again. So where are you right now? 60 days give or take? She still has a good amount of time left and she hasn't hit her stride yet. Pretty soon your gonna notice alot of growth by the day. She's def gonna fill out alot more and from the looks of it your getting close to that time.

Back
Top Bottom