First Grow!

QueenTokeLove- very sorry to hear that, yeah i started mine too late, and yes its progressing very nicely.

It started to slow down height wise now things seem to be slowing down.

Question for anyone who knows the answer, I noticed today that a few fan leaves at the very very tips not even a millimeters big but they are starting to yellow, also a few lower small leaves are starting to look like there are these weird discolored patches that are shiny almost like they have saliva on them, any ideas as to what this may be?

:thanks:

A couple of things. First off, lovely looking plant - very healthy. I'd definitely top the plant. That will keep it from getting too scraggly.

I've broken my share of branches. What you should do is tie a splint around the stem. I use a toilet paper tube. I slit it down its length and then cut a section that I can wrap ariund the stem. Basically, it's a small rectangle of cardboard that I wrap around the stem where it's been broken. Then tie some string around it to keep it in place. You can remove it in a couple of weeks or leave it on until you harvest the plant. If you take it off, you will see a swelling where the break was, kinda like the way a broken bone get healed.

If you're worried about the size of the plant, top all the shoots after the second node. I'm growing some sativa plants and I only have about four feet of ceiling, so I've topped my plants mercilessly. They're about three feet tall and in the fifth week of flowering. If you want to see what I mean, look at my journal.

Anyway, your plant looks very healthy and you should have a good grow.

A couple of things. First off, lovely looking plant - very healthy. I'd definitely top the plant. That will keep it from getting too scraggly.

I've broken my share of branches. What you should do is tie a splint around the stem. I use a toilet paper tube. I slit it down its length and then cut a section that I can wrap ariund the stem. Basically, it's a small rectangle of cardboard that I wrap around the stem where it's been broken. Then tie some string around it to keep it in place. You can remove it in a couple of weeks or leave it on until you harvest the plant. If you take it off, you will see a swelling where the break was, kinda like the way a broken bone get healed.

If you're worried about the size of the plant, top all the shoots after the second node. I'm growing some sativa plants and I only have about four feet of ceiling, so I've topped my plants mercilessly. They're about three feet tall and in the fifth week of flowering. If you want to see what I mean, look at my journal.

Anyway, your plant looks very healthy and you should have a good grow.

Very nice grow! I sub'd, and thanks for your info, could you give me a better picture of some sort as to exactly where i would be topping because I'm in about the 4th week of veg and really want to encourage thinks to bush up. Thanks again.

I want to top it but at the dame time i'm debating wether or not to do it, because I am starting to see what looks like the beginning of some pistols/ preflowers but i could just be seeing things

Dran,

Those are not flowers or pistils. It's just the new leaves coming in. They start out white and are very small so they look like pistils. Pistils don't form until AFTER flowering begins. You definitely want to trim this lady.

Don't freak out. You won't hurt the plant. In fact, it will be more productive after you top it. When you cut off what looks like the flower on top, it causes the little leaf sites next to it to grow out as new shoots. If you do this once, you should have four main branches or colas end up being formed. If you do it with each new shoot that forms, you will have a bush that looks like mine.

Here is a link with some pictures:

In the first picture where you see the number "1", you'll see the little leaf sites (number "3" in the second picture). When you cut the top (number "1" in the first picture), they will grow and end up being main branches. The node below them will also sprout shoots and eventually become colas as well.

Think of it, a scraggly plant that is tall with lots of lower branches that are hard for your light to reach,

OR

Four or more main branches that will grow to be approximately the same height utlilizing light more efficiently.

I wouldn't worry about the fimming unless you want to experiment. It does the same thing as topping, except the part that you cut off (number "2'), doesn't die, it grows into one or more shoots itself.

Ok well I topped it and did exactly what and how it shows in the picture, I will see how it goes and post pics as soon as there is a noticeable difference, thanks for the advice!

You're welcome, man!

Just to put your mind at ease, I topped each of my plants between 10 - 20 times each! After each topping, the plants just come back stronger.

To give you an idea of what to expect, look at the following picture:

Top O' The Mornin'

TopOTheMornin.jpg

If you look at the top fork, you will see a little nub. That's when I cut the top. You can also see how the node below the fork has put out two major branches. These are the four main branches that usually form after you top a plant. Sometimes, you end up with three or even five branches depending on the luck of the draw (cut, actually).

As far as training your plants, I use canes, which you can buy at any plant shop. They're good for two things. You can use twist ties to support the main branches when they develop. I put in one cane by each branch, then attach them with twist ties.

I using string (thick dental floss, actually) to either pull the branches apart to leave more room for light to enter, or more usually, to tie down the top branches when they get too unwieldy. Here are a couple of pics to show you what I mean:

Canes One

Canes1.jpg

Canes Too

Canes2.jpg
[/CENTER]

It's a little hard to tell from the last picture, but I've tied a string near the top of the branch I want to bend over and attached it to one of the canes. Then I pulled it down a couple of inches. I put some tension on the branch, but not too much, so as not to break it. If I want the branch to be lower, I wait until the next day or two, then wind a couple more loops around the cane to pull the branch lower. This way, you can slowly bend the branch without worrying about it breaking. I did this to my last crop so many times that my grow room looked like a bondage dungeon.

If you see a branch is starting to get too big, you can tie it with string to a cane and, as it grows, it will be pulled over slowly. This is a proactive way to keep the branches from getting too tall, rather then trying to drag them down after they've gotten too tall.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures in a couple of days!

Plants look very healthy! Question tho. Your initial pics.. How old was the plant. It says 14 days in the description. If that plant is 14 days old, then bravo dude. My plant at day 14 was half the size!!

Thank you very much!, they were about 14 days from the time that they broke the surface possibly 16-17 days:thumb:

Ok so as promised here are some current pictures, sorry for the low quality. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also the top four fan leaves are beginning to look semi frosty, as well as there stems are almost fully purple it's very hard to see in the photos, is the purple-ness good? possibly strain? Thanks for any input!

photo_444.JPG

photo_353.JPG

photo_263.JPG

photo_1122.JPG

:peace:

Ive heard of certain strains producing purple stems and it's just genetics. However, most of the time it's due to temps dropping below like 65 OR it could be a deficiency, but I forget specifically what. Just google purple stem. Also, why would you be seeing frosting on your leaves? If your not at least a month into flower, then irking not sure what your seeing without pics, but I doubt it's anything good!

I looked it up for you. Purple stems point to phosphorus deficiency. What nutes are you feeding? How often? Post a pic of these "frosty leaves". I'm hoping it's not mold!!

Ok as of now I'm using the MG nutes sparingly due to low funds, also I will try my best to get pictures of the frosty looking leaves, I don't have a camera at the moment only my phone!

Ok so I tried taking pictures, still no luck. As for better description, it looks like little tiny bristles on the very top 4 fan leaves and is very hard to see you really have to look hard at it. I also plan on beginning to flower as of tomorrow.

Hey Dran,

Not sure about the frost. Can't see it from the pictures. From what I can tell, she looks pretty healthy. I wouldn't worry about the purple stems. I see that a lot. I think it's just due to genetics.

I'd be surprised if it's a phosphorus deficiency. Phosphorus is used more in the flowering phase. Keep an eye out and see what develops.

I noticed that the new shoots from where you topped the plant are starting to grow! In a couple of more days, they should sprout completely.

From what I can see, you're doing a great job.

Oh, I just remembered. My plants have purple stems on their leaves. Had them for ages. Just part of their genetics. I'm attaching some pics. If yours look like this, as Bobby McFerrin would say, "don't worry ... be happy!"

Purple Stems

PurpleStemsOne.jpg

More Purple Stems

PurpleStemsTwo.jpg

Want to see puple? Here's a pic from my last harvest.

Purple Flower

DSCF0296H.jpg

Yes thats exactly what the stems look like!
I'd try to get some better nutes for the flower stage. I've heard MG produces a very harsh, bad tasting smoke! Or just make sure you really flush her good for about 5 days before harvest

yes i plan on ordering some asap, any recommendations? :peace:

dran said:
Yes thats exactly what the stems look like!

yes i plan on ordering some asap, any recommendations? :peace:

Welllllll, lol... I'm on my first grow, but i am having amazing results so far with fox farm nutes. Like 15 bucks a bottle and it lasts a while. For flower, you will want tiger bloom and for veg, you will want grow big and big bloom. Check out my grow journal! Last pics were on day 22!

Back
Top Bottom