First Indoor Grow

Germinating comfrey is difficult. I scratch mine w/sandpaper and pop them in the 'fridge for 2 days. Then soak in plain water for 1 day. Then they'll come up ok. Otherwise, they don't do squat. Same w/Huan Qi a chinese herb I'm growing for a friend. Needs special attention.

Information just in time. My Comfrey seeds are chilling in the fridge. :)

Information just in time. My Comfrey seeds are chilling in the fridge. :)

Huh. I wasn't aware that comfrey seeds needed to be stratified. Interesting. If I ever come into property I'm planting some again. By far, one of my praised specimens. We used to grow them beside a patch of Jerusalem artichoke. A lovely balance of texture, structure and color when in full bloom. They thrived in the worst soil on our property.

I'm not sure if it's an absolute necessity, but it surely has worked for me.
Be careful: there have been rumors for ages about it being bad for chickens and sheep. Something about kidney problems, but I don't remember exactly what: I'm not a renal pathologist by trade. Several of the things I've read were directly contradictory. Just a heads-up.

You've noticed me about Dr Ziggy before but fool me,I began to read just a few days ago and since lost in there and the links.
Still reading,it takes time to read througly.
I've tried to germinate a dozen of comfrey seeds a month ago but I couldn't succeed.
I will have a question,maybe you've written before but I didn't find in your thread.Are checking PH of your soil and water or just trusting your living soil ???

Living organic soil buffers for you, so no PHing needed. Isn't that sweet? Build a better soil, plant the seed and watch her grow. No added nutes, no concern for deficiencies, no flushing at the end, just sit back and enjoy the show. Seriously. I had less than 5 tiny necrotic leaves on each of my plants in my first grow.

I'll be growing this time in Doc Bud's HB Kit soil as well, which is a different variety of living soil and also does not require PHing either. Life is so much simpler for me with LOS and the smoke is unbelievably potent and tasty. I expect the same thing from the kit soil.

Germinating comfrey is difficult. I scratch mine w/sandpaper and pop them in the 'fridge for 2 days. Then soak in plain water for 1 day. Then they'll come up ok. Otherwise, they don't do squat. Same w/Huan Qi a chinese herb I'm growing for a friend. Needs special attention.

Good info :thumb:
I'll give another try

I'm not sure if it's an absolute necessity, but it surely has worked for me.
Be careful: there have been rumors for ages about it being bad for chickens and sheep. Something about kidney problems, but I don't remember exactly what: I'm not a renal pathologist by trade. Several of the things I've read were directly contradictory. Just a heads-up.

I've read those infos too,you're totally right about chickens and sheeps
And I've prepared comfrey beds far away from other plants because they say that comfrey sucks all the elements from soil

I've read those infos too,you're totally right about chickens and sheeps
And I've prepared comfrey beds far away from other plants because they say that comfrey sucks all the elements from soil

Online, have seen Comfrey growing in the middle of a happy vegetable bed. I'm not going to worry.

As for sheep and chickens, Sepp Holzer used to have a problem with his cows eating tansy. He solved the problem by getting smarter (heritage breed) cows. :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom