First Time DWC

The smell isn’t really that bad but it does smell musky.
Usually root rot has a pretty distinctive smell, it just smell like rot.
I’ve been using Advance Nutrients Sensi grow A&B/ AN B45/ cannazym/great white /Hydroguard.
I'd stop with the B45, at least until you have this sorted. Also i will sprinkle great white on the roots themselves but i don't usually have it in my res. It probably wont do any harm, just thought i'd share.

What about the oxygen in the res? How many air stones are in there?

There’s isn’t any turbulence but there is lots of bubbles and I have the top drip working so that should give it some more air circulating the water. I just washed all the equipment/reservoir cleaned/sterilized/ and after ran the system with 1part hydrogen peroxide and 3 parts RO water for 30min with the top drip on through the plants. Washed the brown particles by hand of the roots and let them soak in the HpROH20 for a few minutes. Should I run it over night with the HP solution or mix a new batch of nutrients?

image.jpg

Everything I could have done to the clones is done. I know now why this happened. The mother plant that had root rot in the beginning it didn’t really go away 100%. It came back and now It’s spreading faster and shows more with the mother. Me being a rookie I used the same PPM/EC tester for both plants and didn’t bother sterilizing it every time so that’s the only real reason I think it could have spread. As far as root rot being spread within a mother to clones I’m not sure, even though JEorge Cervantes says it is. There is not conclusive evidence that it does. Anyone care to shine a light this subject?

Everything I could have done to the clones is done. I know now why this happened. The mother plant that had root rot in the beginning it didn’t really go away 100%. It came back and now It’s spreading faster and shows more with the mother. Me being a rookie I used the same PPM/EC tester for both plants and didn’t bother sterilizing it every time so that’s the only real reason I think it could have spread. As far as root rot being spread within a mother to clones I’m not sure, even though JEorge Cervantes says it is. There is not conclusive evidence that it does. Anyone care to shine a light this subject?
This could have spread it for sure.

I have a suggestion for the roots. Make a small container up of bennies, big enough for you to dip your net pot and roots in it. Just water and great white and hydroguard will do. Rinse your roots with plain water to make sure you’ve washed off as much h2o2 as possible. Submerge your roots in it, even sprinkle some on the roots before you submerge. Inoculating your roots will help make them become more resistant to it.

Your air pump doesn’t seem too bad. However, first chance you get i suggest you look to invest in a more powerful air pump, and one with multiple outlets so you can tactically place air stones around your res. I hate to suggest people spend money, but a good air pump is good and vital investment in a good DWC setup.

This could have spread it for sure.

I have a suggestion for the roots. Make a small container up of bennies, big enough for you to dip your net pot and roots in it. Just water and great white and hydroguard will do. Rinse your roots with plain water to make sure you’ve washed off as much h2o2 as possible. Submerge your roots in it, even sprinkle some on the roots before you submerge. Inoculating your roots will help make them become more resistant to it.

Your air pump doesn’t seem too bad. However, first chance you get i suggest you look to invest in a more powerful air pump, and one with multiple outlets so you can tactically place air stones around your res. I hate to suggest people spend money, but a good air pump is good and vital investment in a good DWC setup.
I will def try that today. I’ve already been thinking about getting one of those multi air pumps so today I will go get one with a couple more hoses and a couple large rocks for that. Looking at the roots this morning it looks like its somewhat under control I don’t see any further rot or new rot spreading. Will keep you updated EOD! Thanks for you’re knowledgeable info and advice much appreciated!

I will def try that today. I’ve already been thinking about getting one of those multi air pumps so today I will go get one with a couple more hoses and a couple large rocks for that. Looking at the roots this morning it looks like its somewhat under control I don’t see any further rot or new rot spreading. Will keep you updated EOD! Thanks for you’re knowledgeable info and advice much appreciated!
No problem at all @420ragz. I’m glad it doesn’t appear to be spreading though. That’s good news.

Heads up, powerful air pumps can sometimes make a bit of noise through the vibrations. If noise is a concern for you it might be worth looking at a quiet one. I run a Hailea ACO 9820, I keep it on a foam matt to keep the vibrations down.

Did the soaking bath thing with the clones for 12 hrs inoculating the roots with a solution of just ROH2O/Hydroguard/great white and I sprinkled great white unsparingly on the roots. I sterilized the entire reservoir and equipment I used and remixed a new solution of just A.N. Grow A&B on the 2 week veg plan with cannazym/Hydroguard/great whites. Also replaced the air pump with a more powerful one the Pawfly MC-3000 and added a large air rock. So now there is 2 stones running air I to the water. The turbulence is much more pronounced and so far looks more promising.
As far as the mother plant goes I’m just going to scrap her. The roots are huge and the rot is just to much to handle and out of control now. Some damage on the leaves is starting to show and I got what I needed out of her. it’s disappointing I couldn’t get her to where I want but I learned new knowledge and valuable lessons: everything in DWC has to be scrutinized and you really have to go above and beyond to get the system to run perfect without any hiccups. Im not giving up yet either because like they say “the third time is a charm” and I’ve come to far to stop now. I Always finish what I start!

The clones roots are looking better already. I found some new root growth and haven’t noticed any more darkening of the roots and the canopy is also looking like it’s perked up a bit.
pH 5.53
Ppm 605
EC 1296
Raised the PH up to 5.65 and will check it later on to see what changes

Today the roots didn’t look any better. They are all sticky and slimy now. the PH drop significantly to 5.25 when I checked. I don’t think this root rot will be put in check anymore. I think it’s time to tear everything down and start fresh.
no sense in fighting a loosing battle. Only concern I have now is if any of the clones I took off the mother plant will carry the root rot. Is root rot systemic?

Today the roots didn’t look any better. They are all sticky and slimy now. the PH drop significantly to 5.25 when I checked. I don’t think this root rot will be put in check anymore. I think it’s time to tear everything down and start fresh.
no sense in fighting a loosing battle. Only concern I have now is if any of the clones I took off the mother plant will carry the root rot. Is root rot systemic?
Root rot itself isn't passed down genetically, the susceptibility to it though could be. The roots actually in the res appear to be white and healthy (from the picture above). I wouldn't be quick to tear everything down just yet.

What is the gap between your netpot and water?

Root rot itself isn't passed down genetically, the susceptibility to it though could be. The roots actually in the res appear to be white and healthy (from the picture above). I wouldn't be quick to tear everything down just yet.

What is the gap between your netpot and water?

It’s already done. Those roots weren’t to bad in the picture, when I scrapped her there was new growth in the big root ball and they felt strong but the stink was to much to handle and the roots above the water and in the mesh pot were slimy disgusting. There was about 2-3” gap there.
I have some clones from her that are doing fine in a micro dome. 3 of them rooted today so that would have been day 9 from. I was going to start hardening them, any more suggestions or advice moving forward with these?

I would be concerned about the PH and the Temp of the res water. Its the cold part of the year but if that water is 72+ that could be the cause of your root issues. When i do dwc the temps made the largest difference once I added a chiller things got much better.
Yes I was constantly fighting that issue to begin with. If I didn’t keep a frozen 1l water bottle in the Rez the temp would always stay at 72-75*F. It’s been a hell of a battle and learning curve.

Yes I was constantly fighting that issue to begin with. If I didn’t keep a frozen 1l water bottle in the Rez the temp would always stay at 72-75*F. It’s been a hell of a battle and learning curve.
I know the feeling @420ragz. When i first started I went straight to DWC. It was a pretty steady uphill struggle the first run, and probably the second and third. I did it all DWC, seedling, veg and flower. And i even kept mothers in DWC for the longest time. I actually swapped to Coco until i could afford to buy a chiller after a while because of the headache of res temps causing root issues (back then Hydroguard wasn't available where i am). I have way less problems using a chiller. Hydroguard is a must without a chiller, and I swear by it and I do use a chiller. I know it's expensive, but I wouldn't do DWC without it, and you may have noticed a lot of other DWC growers agree on this opinion.

Some advice if you would welcome it :peace: Don't keep mothers in DWC unless you absolutely have to. I find Coco a way better medium for them, no pumps needed. You can find nutrients that work across mediums, I believe Blue Planet nutrients can be used in Coco and DWC, as well as GHE. Now I actually start young plants in Coco because of the superior environment for roots, and then go to DWC for the last week or so of Veg and Flower. I find it challenging to create a thriving root system for young plants in DWC.

It’s already done. Those roots weren’t to bad in the picture, when I scrapped her there was new growth in the big root ball and they felt strong but the stink was to much to handle and the roots above the water and in the mesh pot were slimy disgusting. There was about 2-3” gap there.
I have some clones from her that are doing fine in a micro dome. 3 of them rooted today so that would have been day 9 from. I was going to start hardening them, any more suggestions or advice moving forward with these?
Where do they go after the cloner? Do you use rockwool or eazy cubes or anything? I like to keep them in something like this after being clones to build a nice root system before going to hydroton. If they're going straight into DWC I'd make sure they have a nice healthy long set of roots so that they have a head start at getting those roots in the water. And inoculate the roots with bennies from young (which i'm sure you already do).

Back
Top Bottom